The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-03-2016, 05:57 AM

Default Campelonne guitars

I'm in Minneapolis/St.Paul - anyone know of Campelonne instruments nearby? They look beautiful, I'd like to try one someday.

Glen
Old 07-03-2016, 06:43 AM

I met Mark Campelonne just in passing at the Newport Guitar Festival in 2006, I think he may have been located in or around Providence RI at that time. I played one of his guitars at the booth and it felt to me very much in the Gibson tradition, latter day Gibsons of the 1960s more than, say, the Loars of the 1920s. I remember the neck at the nut being fairly narrow (i.e., slightly less than 1 3/4", but I may be wrong). Very even sound, more Johnny Smith than Charlie Christian. Beautiful craftsmanship and a very low price point that made me wonder how he could manage to turn out guitars like that.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
...Beautiful craftsmanship and a very low price point that made me wonder how he could manage to turn out guitars like that.
- or why others say they can't...
Old 07-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatdog View Post
I'm in Minneapolis/St.Paul - anyone know of Campelonne instruments nearby? They look beautiful, I'd like to try one someday.

Glen
Mark CAMPELLONE keeps his price down by limiting his models and options, employing CNC for certain operations and building in small batches. He makes fine archtops inspired by the historic guitars from Kalamazoo.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:42 AM

He has some kind-of automation, per his shop tour photo page. A pantograph copier, a neck shaper. It looks like he builds two sizes, a small variety of finish options, and builds in batches of around 10. Is he a single man operation, or does he have employees? Output per year?

Brian
Old 07-06-2016, 07:29 AM

Default Mark C

I have spoken with Mark,about another build,I have one of his Deluxe archtops all acoustic,he is a one man show...GREAT GUITAR`S....
Old 07-13-2016, 06:14 PM

Talk to David Roos at The Podium.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:47 AM

Default Campellone

Dave Roos???

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops