The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-12-2015, 06:25 AM

Default Thumbpick "clicking" sound

Hi folks. Anyone know of a good thumbpick that mellows out or eradicates this clicking sound when coming in contact with strings? Im currently using Golden Gates.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:49 PM

Try a Fred Kelly pick made from Delrin. They come in several shapes, and materials, but I like the Delrin the best for minimizing the click sound. Oh, and I found mine at Elderly.com

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 PM

Thanks Gary!!!! It does!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek2400 View Post
Hi folks. Anyone know of a good thumbpick that mellows out or eradicates this clicking sound when coming in contact with strings? Im currently using Golden Gates.
Hi derek…
I've used these thick Gibson Medium thumb picks for years, and trimmed them so they are short and don't alter my normal thumb-stroke when I'm wearing them.

For me it's not as much about material as the thickness.

As with flat picks, thick picks usually create less pick slap than thin picks, especially when/if you are following through with your thumb stroke till the pick strikes the adjacent string. It doesn't have to. But thin picks produce a 'thwip' sound just flicking through the string without hitting another string which my thick picks do not make.

The technique of the person wielding the pick certainly contributes to pick slap noise as well.

Here's a picture of a couple of my Gibson Mediums (one whole and one trimmed for me). I cut them down on a grinding wheel, then smooth and bevel the edge with emery boards.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write