The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Default Loar LO-215

This is my first post on this here board. I know there's been some discussion about Loars as well as a lot about parlors. I've been looking around a lot at 12 fret parlors and small bodies like recording king and even vintageparlorguitars.com who I know frequents this board. Anyway the most recent guitar that's caught my eye is the Loar LO-215. I was wondering if anyone has played one/general thoughts. Is the 11/16" pretty small? I'm not too well versed in guitar lingo (getting better) but I think my preference lies more on the bigger side. Anyway I'd love some thoughts if anyone has any, maybe about set up required or any modifications that would help.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Curmudgeon

I had an LO-216 for a while. Same specs just mahogany instead of maple. The neck profile is nice and chuncky but it was true to being 1 11/16" wide at the nut. The string spacing at the nut on mine was pretty tight, even for that nut width. I had a new nut made with the widest string spacing possible. After that I was really happy with it. Cost about $60 to have the new nut made. The rest of the setup was pretty good out of the box.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 AM

I like the neck on mine. Need to make a nut with wider spacing for it though. These Loars and Recording Kings will likely need a fret level and setup so allow for that.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:33 AM

it's what your "used to", if you already play a wide neck guitar
then maybe the 1 11/16 neck will be too narrow, if not then
maybe it'll be ok. I say look at the Loar Lo-16 because of the wider
neck which is easier for finger picking. The Alvarez "parlors" also
have a wider 1 3/4" nut like the lo-16.
That would be the alvarez ap70, ap66, or guitarcenter has the ap910 and
ap866.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:49 AM

Does anyone have experience with the LO-215?

Been seriously looking into picking one up, but I've had trouble finding much on it.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 AM

I had one for a few weeks; didn't really bond with it. Laminate back and sides means the "maple" isn't actually maple. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I wanted maple tone (i.e. - quick decay), and the 215 was pretty resonant. Bad for me but maybe that's good for you.

I also couldn't get into the headstock, but that's obviously a very subjective thing.

I haven't bought a guitar from Steve at vintageparlorguitars.com YET, but I've had a lot of correspondence with him and I look at his site often. Not knowing you beyond this post I'd hesitate to say "you should buy a guitar from Steve," but I've come to the conclusion - for myself, at least - that older guitars are better.
A few Telecasters
Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM

I dont have much experience buying guitars. Recently started noodling with fingerprinting and blues. The acoustic that's around my house is a really short scale fender tg-4. I like the small body but would like a more typical scale and length.

I don't need a super crazy nice acoustic, just a well built middle of the road blues box.

I've been looking at the:

Washburn wp11sns

The loar LO-215

The loar LO-250

I'm currently trying to decide between the 14 and 12 frets. I play ope tuning slide (with a capo too) and wonder if the 12 fret is going to be a pain in the rear when I try to play A caped from G?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMorrissey View Post
Is the 11/16" pretty small? I'm not too well versed in guitar lingo (getting better) but I think my preference lies more on the bigger side. !
Hi VanMorrissey, and welcome! Great screen name, btw!

I don't have experience with the guitar you're looking at, but as far as the nut width goes, 1 11/16" is very common, although I wouldn't say it is typical of 12-fret guitars. Whether it's right for you can only be determined by trying some other widths, like 1.72" or 1.75", and making a hands-on comparison.

But to be honest, in my first many years of playing, I never even realized that guitars had different nut widths, so I think you can get used to whatever it is you have. In other words, if you like all the other features and it isn't downright uncomfortable, I wouldn't make nut width a dealbreaker.

Best of luck in your parlor search!
Old 10-21-2016, 02:38 PM

No current Lo-215 owners these days?

I may have another look at the seagull grand parlor sunburst, anyone picking on one of those?
Old 10-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

1 & 11/16" is narrow, but it is very common- introduced for banjo players on guitars designed just for rhythm.

1 &7/8" is best for fingerstyle, although many prefer 1 & 3/4" - I prefer 1 & 13/16".

The neck profile is also important.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, loar, parlor, small body, vintage parlor