The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Justinguitar.com vs. Learn and Master Guitar

Hi All,

This is not intended to bash one course or another. Not at all.

However, I see these two courses mentioned a lot and I have recommended both, as well.

What I am wondering is if you were going to recommend one of these courses to someone, which one would you recommend and why? For the sake of the thread, let's assume the student is willing to put the time in practicing and has some basic skills already.

I had someone ask me for their opinion and am afraid that I am biased in a certain direction, so I am looking for other's opinions.

Thanks, all!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 PM

Both Justin Sandercoe and Steve Krenz (L&M) are excellent but very different teachers.

I have done 20 or so lessons with Steve from Gibson.com, but I have not actually purchased L&M so I can't really comment... however, I do have a good sense of the way he teaches. Very methodical, very serious.

With Justin, I went thru all Beginner & Intermediate modules, as well as Blues... now working on Jazz modules. I enjoy Justin more as a teacher. He is more informal but still very specific, and he always seems to be having fun. I like his choices of songs for learning skills, and I like the structure of his courses.

NOTE: I have referred over a dozen people to Justin.com... I always STRONGLY encourage people to buy some of his lessons for sale. He gives away so much for free... we need to support his efforts.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:38 PM

I have only good things to say about Justin. After my long layoff, he is the one site that really got me going and in an exciting enjoyable way. I have also purchased several of his products as a way to support, but also another tool to have on the shelf. My only beef, minor as it is, is his choice of songs. But we can't please us all, all of the time, right? My last visit found a Neil Young song "Razor Love". His instructions right down to chord changes and strum patterns were perfect for me. If he were in my town, I would hire him in an instant.
Oh, yeah, he's funny, and seems to really enjoy his work.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I found Justin to be just about perfect as a gentle introduction. The beginner lessons are wonderfully clear, just the right amount of material per lesson, and short enough to review regularly as needed, without having to find one's place in a longer lesson. He also makes concrete practice suggestions right away.

I have only seen free clips of Learn and Master. One point I see in its favor is that it will teach you standard notation as an integral part of the lessons.

I also now have a Jamplay subscription (I especially like instructor Eve Goldberg), and am using Mel Bay and a couple of other method books, and William Leavitt. I have played classical piano and want to make sure to learn standard notation for guitar as well. I am also starting an adult ed group course this week.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 PM

The L&M course and Justin are both good. I have the L&M and it is VERY detailed. Be prepared to learn actual music theory though... could be a turn off for some.

Use both together for a excellent learning experience. Jamarama is pretty cool tool.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 PM

I really enjoy Justin's site and his lessons but you also have to include Marty Schwartz at GuitarJamz in this discussion. Marty's an awesome teacher.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

I am 11 lessons in with L&MG main course and two lessons in on the Fingerstyle L&MG course. I was not a beginner when I started and there has been plenty to learn. Yes you will learn theory but as I have found, it has accelerated my learning more than any other method/course, and I have through many. It is more than showing you how to play songs, scales, chords, etc. what you will learn is how to listen, how to understand what key a song is in, and how to improvise. You will learn skills that you will be able to apply far beyond the course.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
I really enjoy Justin's site and his lessons but you also have to include Marty Schwartz at GuitarJamz in this discussion. Marty's an awesome teacher.

yes. he also is a good teacher and can be funny, a big bonus.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, all!

If there are more thoughts, bring 'em on
Old 06-25-2013, 08:10 AM

I would always suggest Justin before any other course for beginners. If the student already possess "basic skills", then those skills would need to be defined before I would say Justin might be too basic - in his basic instructions, that is. For overall course work, he still wins hands down.

The forums which accompany the Justin course offer more than a bit of insight into the common problems students might experience. These will serve to provide further explanation of just what is happening in the lesson plan and why/how. For clarity and complete information provided, Justin is certainly tough to beat.

Plus, if you get his newsletter, this guy's heart is in the right place. You get to know Justin as more than just a face on a video course and that makes the video coursework even more important. No one I've sent to Justin has ever had anything other than positive remarks about his course.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:40 AM

Default Justinguitar.com vs. Learn and Master Guitar

Love Justin. And I think going through his beginner and intermediate courses is a good way for a beginner to start. It will help someone see if paying guitar is for them.

That said, I think Learn and Master Guitar is a superior course.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Cool

Justin is good and fun. I have not seen many of his very beginner lessons.
I have purchased the LMG course and found it to be VERY detailed. For example in the unit on reading music, there are hours of drills on learning the notes. You could spend months before you move on from that unit, so students will move at their own speed.
Good stuff from both but the LMG seems to me to be a more DETAILED explanation, with workbooks and DVD's to get you on track and keep you interested.
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 06-27-2013, 05:01 PM

I have the L&M course. I think if you have any musical background, like high school band or piano lessons, then reading music and learning the notes etc. will go very quickly. So far I'm doing a lot better than I did with a couple of other courses.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM

I think it's important to note that any given guitar study course will have interesting and varied offerings and it's up to the student to compile the most relevant facts from each and apply them to the type or genre of play that the student is interested in. In other words; The more input the better. If six sources of instruction address the same issue or subject in six different ways the student subjected to this information has the ability to select or combine the method or methods into a form that is most agreeable to that students developing style of play.
It is also important to remember that individualism of playing style is developed by combining known musical phrases and styles with original styles the student may wish to interject or fuse into the mix.
So, instead of seeking out "The Best" instuctional aid I think it important to subject the student to many and various aids. The desired net result being a composit of techniques and inspiration that will combine and promote individualism in the students play style and signature.
Our sound signature does not need to echo someone else's nor do we need to learn note for note. It is OK to emulate our hero's but it is more important to learn to be true to ourselves.
Take as many lessons from as many sources as possible. The day that a player does not learn something new is the day to re-evaluate.

Blues
Old 06-28-2013, 02:38 PM

+1 for Marty Scwhartz...youtube guitar master teacher.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write