The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Moose View Post
I am unable to have/keep a practice schedule, like many of you seem to do.
I know it's not always easy following such a regimented practice schedule. Cut yourself some slack and just do what you can.

Quote:
I guess a few days off allowed by brain to regain focus and balance.
I have found this to be true too.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 PM

This is a cool idea. Now that I've graduated from college I don't practice the 4 hours a day I used to. I pretty much only play when I perform. Maybe I'll try this to get back into it.
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach
Old 06-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

I guess I'm in. I practice everyday of the year (seriously...), but my issue seems to be remembering this thread and coming back to post progress. I'll try to do a better job of that this time as I think it keeps me held accountable for unproductive practice sessions and whatnot.

We have a guitar gathering on the 22nd and I've been practicing steadily for that. I finished my solo arrangement of Carole King's "It's Too Late " but it's not effortless yet - especially the bridge section. The bridge has barres all over the fretboard while I'm trying to keep the melody and harmony working well together. I'll be scrutinizing the arrangement as a whole between now and then.

There's a MEAN lick I came across in someone's re-arrangement of Jiffy Jam by Jerry Reed that I'm in the process of "lifting" and adding to my repertoire. I stole another mean one from Martin Tallstrom awhile back (I forget who he stole it from..) at the beginning of his cover: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl71Xiw6I30‎

I have a book I need to read also called Passionate Practice. It's by Julliard-trained pianist Margret Elson. This one deals with how to free your mind from distraction during performance and practice sessions and staying calm and focused throughout. Really enjoying it so far.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fichtezc View Post
This is a cool idea. Now that I've graduated from college I don't practice the 4 hours a day I used to. I pretty much only play when I perform. Maybe I'll try this to get back into it.
Welcome aboard Zach!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I guess I'm in. I practice everyday of the year (seriously...), but my issue seems to be remembering this thread and coming back to post progress. I'll try to do a better job of that this time as I think it keeps me held accountable for unproductive practice sessions and whatnot.
Welcome aboard Brian!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Guest 33123

Day 9: so I guess the new normal is practicing early, though with working on my new song and stopping for my kids' music practices I didn't finish up until 10:30. Spend time at the end listening and watching the new song. I think it's going to be tricky and I'm not sure I'm going to get it together in the next 3 and a half weeks. We'll see. Repertoire was okay but for some reason Hesitation Blues fell apart and I had to break out the tab to figure out what was going on. Sigh.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 06-11-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Go for it Doug. I went to an open mic signed in expecting my friend to join me.
Turns out he didn't make it. I went up scraed to death fumbled a bit then
Just relaxed and enjoyed myself. Good Luck!
Vega Mandolin circa 1900
Martin HD 28
Fender Telecaster
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary14 View Post
Go for it Doug. I went to an open mic signed in expecting my friend to join me.
Turns out he didn't make it. I went up scraed to death fumbled a bit then
Just relaxed and enjoyed myself. Good Luck!
Thank you so much for the encouragement Gary! I'm still mulling it over for Sat. I'm pretty sure I know what I want to play. I just need to suck it up and get up on stage!

Now for the update:

Day 10: no repertoire last night (totally crashed with my son and woke up at 11:45pm! no way I can start practicing that late) but I did spend about 45 min. working on the new song early in the evening and made some great progress. Essentially I have the first verse down. I'm trying to visualize playing the new song when I'm away from the guitar. I've done that on my last three pieces and it's really helping me.

How are things going with you guys?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM

great day for fingerstyle yesterday. I am playing so much I begin to feel the need to learn or compose something new.
Still not "there" practice-wise with the electric...
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
I am playing so much I begin to feel the need to learn or compose something new.
Go for it!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Guest 33123

Day 11: nice early practice that went well. Nothing really feel apart so that's nice for a change! Played though the first verse of my new song a bunch of times and I was able to play it without mistakes so that was nice too. I might start on the next verse (same as the first with some variations) tonight but we'll see. I've got a recording night coming up tomorrow so I need to figure out what to record. And my wife is encouraging me to do that open mike on Saturday. But we do have a big pile of topsoil on the driveway that needs to go on the garden so...
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Guest 33123

Starting to get kind of lonely here in this thread!

Day 12: not one of my better practices. Had to restart sections or whole pieces on several songs. I think I was having a hard time concentrating. This whole open mike thing has me pretty stressed out. Didn't get anything more done on the new song but I did play through what I know so far. Not sure what to do tonight, either work on the new song some more, record or rehearse for the open mike tomorrow... Not sure but I should probably rehearse right? I won't be getting anything done tomorrow, this Saturday is my weekly night off.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 AM

maybe i could join in because I have already started my on practice

my goal is to post a youtube video soon of a song, i have already been working on it for a few days so maybe I could set my recording date as monday

it is a song that plucks with the thumb and strums with the finger so this is a new technique for me, I also sing.

Hope i can join in should be fun

Last edited by VintageV400; 06-14-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Guest 33123

Welcome aboard VintageV400!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Starting to get kind of lonely here in this thread!

Day 12: not one of my better practices. Had to restart sections or whole pieces on several songs. I think I was having a hard time concentrating. This whole open mike thing has me pretty stressed out. Didn't get anything more done on the new song but I did play through what I know so far. Not sure what to do tonight, either work on the new song some more, record or rehearse for the open mike tomorrow... Not sure but I should probably rehearse right? I won't be getting anything done tomorrow, this Saturday is my weekly night off.
Please don't feel lonely.
I keep following this thread and read your posts (and everyoner else's) with interest.

I did not write anything because I felt it would be kind of boring.. "today I practiced. So I did yesterday"... it's not that interesting to read.

I was waiting for something useful to say and my grandad is somehow responsible for this. He often told me "if you have nothing to say just say nothing".

About YOUR practice...

If I was you I would definitely use all my guitar-playing time to practice for tomorrow open mic night.
You only have 1 chance to do it right and the better prepared you are technically, the more relaxed you'll be.
You will play better music and have much more fun too.
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write