The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 AM

Question Mac video recording/Youtube?

Hi,

Ive just picked up a new Macbook Pro and want to get into doing some video covers to put on Youtube...whats the best and simplest way to do this while getting a good quality sound?

Ive got the 414ce and Fisham Loudbox mini, would I use the amp at all for this or is this seperate?

Ive looked into the Apogee One a bit and it does seem good for me, as I only want to record 1 channel (the guitar) and the quality is supposed to be pretty good.

Is it just a case of getting this and hitting record and *hopefully* should be good quality?

Sorry for the rant and million questions but there seems to be about a million different ways to do it!

Thnaks for any help,

Shaun
Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

First some more clarification would be good -you are wanting suggestions for just the audio portion, correct? Not for a camera ?
For any purchase I always recommend , to first decide on what items will be needed then a realistic budget range. This give you and anybody attempting to help a starting point and
and will make the process much much more efficient.
(For example at the less expensive end say $50 to $100 you could go with just a USB mic directly into Garage Band) or you could spend say $10.000 for a vintage U47 mic, then have to purchase a mic pre, A/D -D/A converter, Digital interface, DAW etc. etc. etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 AM

It was really only for the audio as I was going to use the built in iSight camera on the Mac.

I have heared good things about the Apogee One - could I involve my amp in this in any way?

Also would the Apogee work to record video for Youtube.

Thanks for any help!

Shaun
Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Or would it be worth just plugging straight into the mac and using the internal mic?

Thanks for any help
Old 05-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
=lawler;2610513]It was really only for the audio as I was going to use the built in iSight camera on the Mac.
Quote:
I have heared good things about the Apogee One - could I involve my amp in this in any way?
Yes by using the on board mic of the Apogee you could record the sound from the amp ( see #3 below). With Apogee you will then be able to have 3 different possible recording scenarios
#1 plug the Taylor stright into the 1/4 in instrument input on the Apogee to record Taylor through it's pic up
#2 use the Apogee internal mic/ or an external mic, to record your Taylor
#3 use the Apogee internal mic/ or an external mic, out in front of your amp to record it's sound

Quote:
Also would the Apogee work to record video for Youtube.
if you mean could the Apogee record the audio sound track for a video for Youtube then yes. You could record into Garage Band then import the audio track into iMovie. I have not done any video yet so as for info on how to sync the audio to the video perhaps someone else can comment

the Apogee is going to give you significantly better sound than the internal computer mic by a huge margin

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 AM

Video Covers? As in someone else's material? I'm pretty sure that's a copyright violation.

Why not put your own material up?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes by using the on board mic of the Apogee you could record the sound from the amp ( see #3 below). With Apogee you will then be able to have 3 different possible recording scenarios
#1 plug the Taylor stright into the 1/4 in instrument input on the Apogee to record Taylor through it's pic up
#2 use the Apogee internal mic/ or an external mic, to record your Taylor
#3 use the Apogee internal mic/ or an external mic, out in front of your amp to record it's sound
Thanks for the in-depth options there So in respect to the sound would you people think #2 is going to be the best option? Definatly going to pick one of these up as its also supposed to be good as a DAC for listening to music as well so worth having.

In respect to the copyright infringment, Im sure I can risk it with the other million vidoes on YouTube ;-)

Shaun
Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 AM

Lawler,

I only responded because I am currently recording with my amplifier, which you asked about. I bought a used Zoom H2 recorder and a used Flip camcorder - spent $150 total for all the gear needed to make a YouTube video.
I think that the amp can be used, as I do, but I am learning (slowly) that I need far less amp, as the reverb is too heavy. I do think this can work. I am just now learning to use the free audio processing (DAW) "Audacity". Again, I am not neccesarily recommending this method which I started using in my total ignorance. I also was brand new to recording only a few months ago and was (and still am) overwhelmed by all the info out there. I do believe that things can be done simply and on a tight budget. Much still to learn though.

Probably 95% of YouTube videos are covers (not originals) - I think if anything it helps the original recording artist to get his/ her music better known. I had very kind feedback from the original artists on my meagre attempts to do some covers. Of course, it is very important to give appropriate credit when posting videos that are not original.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawler View Post
So in respect to the sound would you people think #2 is going to be the best option?

Shaun
Not necessarily " the best" (which is highly subjective and depends on the sound you are after) But #2 would arguably be the most like what your guitar sounds like acoustically. Which certainly does not mean for certain songs or situations that the amp sound or pic up sound would not be the more desired aesthetic choice. The good news is you will be able to try them all and see what you like for a given song.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Video Covers? As in someone else's material? I'm pretty sure that's a copyright violation.

Why not put your own material up?

Regards,

Ty Ford
You'd want to double check again. The law does not prohibit people playing others' songs. I bet you've never watched the covers on Youtube? Not every single guitar player is a song writer.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 PM

JHChang,

Maybe you'd like to explain to me what part of this YouTube statement allows covers.

"What is copyright? Copyright is a form of protection provided for original works of authorship, including literary, dramatic, musical, graphic and audiovisual creations. "Copyright" literally means the right to copy, but has come to mean that body of exclusive rights granted by law to copyright owners for protection of their work.

What is copyright infringement? Copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

Posting copyright-infringing content can lead to the termination of your account, and possibly monetary damages if a copyright owner decides to take legal action (this is serious—you can get sued!). Below are some guidelines to help you determine whether your video is eligible or whether it infringes someone else's copyright. You can also find copyright FAQs within our Help Center.

As a general matter, we at YouTube respect the rights of artists and creators, and hope you will work with us to keep our community a creative, legal and positive experience for everyone, including artists and creators.

How To Make Sure Your Video Does Not Infringe Someone Else's Copyrights
The way to ensure that your video doesn't infringe someone else's copyright is to use your skills and imagination to create something completely original. It could be as simple as taping some of your friends goofing around, and as complicated as filming your own short movie with a script, actors, and the whole works. If it's all yours, you never have to worry about the copyright—you own it! Make sure to follow the other guidelines in the terms of use, too.

Be sure that all components of your video are your original creation—even the audio portion. For example, if you use an audio track of a sound recording owned by a record label without that record label's permission, your video may be infringing the copyrights of others, and may be subject to removal.YouTube offers a library of authorized music to liven up your video."
Old 05-10-2011, 08:28 PM

and also from YouTube...

Important: Do not upload any TV shows, music videos, music concerts, or commercials without permission unless they consist entirely of content you created yourself.

The Copyright Tips page and the Community Guidelines can help you determine whether your video infringes someone else's copyright.

By clicking "Upload Video", you are representing that this video does not violate YouTube's Terms of Service and that you own all copyrights in this video or have authorization to upload it.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM

I think you misunderstood "cover". All the audio/video of guitar covers are actually recorded by each individuals, NOT hacked or copied/pasted from the original publications. The copywright law does NOT indicate you could not play others' songs but ONLY new songs written by yourself. That's ridiculous.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Tell me if you've NEVER played others' songs/music but only your own stuff.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhchang View Post
I think you misunderstood "cover". All the audio/video of guitar covers are actually recorded by each individuals, NOT hacked or copied/pasted from the original publications. The copywright law does NOT indicate you could not play others' songs but ONLY new songs written by yourself. That's ridiculous.
You need to stick your face firmly into copyright law, my friend.

When someone writes the words and/or music for a song, it's their intellectual property. They own it. If you perform their material you are violating their copyright. That's why ASCAP and BMI go from venue to venue listening for copyright infringements.

For instance, Joe Schmoe is playing material that's owned by someone else, say, Bob Dylan, Jagger/Richards or whoever. Unless the venue pays the license fee, performing other people's material in public (or on youtube) is a violation of copyright and is actionable (as in, you can be sued.)

The song "Happy Birthday", for example, is owned by Warner Chapel. They paid around 5 Million dollars (or near that) a number of years ago for it. That's why the restaurants don't sing that song when they serve up a cup cake with a candle on it.

That's why the only material on my channel is either in Public Domain or is my own material.

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD