The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-27-2017, 05:19 PM

Default MOP/Abalone/Pearl shipping restrictions

Not sure where to post this...

I was browsing stewmac, finally considering seriously to order a 3-on-plate tuners for a build I'm expecting for the end of the next year.
Never got to an agreement on which of the knob materials I liked the best.
And to my surprise they added black pearl as one of the options.
And it seemed like the perfect match to a style 42 guitar(like the build I'm wating on).
I gone ahead to inquire on how international shipping is handled before making the order. And discovered that they don't ship MOP/Abalole/Pearl items internationaly. When inquiring about that, they said that it was due to CITES.

So... Thats it?
Could they provide cites documentation for shipping or I'm stuck with the "non-shell" options for good?
Old 12-27-2017, 06:11 PM

There’s another thread on CITES and the lack of maker documentation for end users. You may want to add your voice there:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=494290
Old 12-27-2017, 06:25 PM

It is not worth their time to go through the process for a limited return. Such is life.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
Not sure where to post this...

I was browsing stewmac, finally considering seriously to order a 3-on-plate tuners for a build I'm expecting for the end of the next year.

Never got to an agreement on which of the knob materials I liked the best.

And to my surprise they added black pearl as one of the options.

And it seemed like the perfect match to a style 42 guitar(like the build I'm wating on).

I gone ahead to inquire on how international shipping is handled before making the order. And discovered that they don't ship MOP/Abalole/Pearl items internationaly. When inquiring about that, they said that it was due to CITES.

So... Thats it?

Could they provide cites documentation for shipping or I'm stuck with the "non-shell" options for good?

This has nothing to do with CITES. Export of goods from the US containing wild animal material, including all shell species, is regulated by the USFWS under the Lacey Act. A permit is required for each shipment. There is a fee, IIRC around $100, and considerable paperwork. Same going into the US. Again, nothing to do with CITES.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:25 PM

Sometimes it's possible to find local (as in your country) suppliers, or buy from China. I recently bought MOP inlays from Amazon.CA, Chinese supplier, shipped from Germany into Canada. The issue on marine shell material is pretty much just into or out of the USA, it seems.

Brian
Old 12-28-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post

So... Thats it?
They could, but there are permit fees that make it too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
It is not worth their time to go through the process for a limited return. Such is life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio2000BE View Post
This has nothing to do with CITES. Export of goods from the US containing wild animal material, including all shell species, is regulated by the USFWS under the Lacey Act. A permit is required for each shipment. There is a fee, IIRC around $100, and considerable paperwork. Same going into the US. Again, nothing to do with CITES.
Not exactly nothing to do with CITES, the Lacey Act is the US implementation of the CITES treaty, and the latest amendment is in response to changes in the CITES regulations. International trade in shell has been regulated for several years now, and has nothing to do with the recent addition of all dalbergias to Appendix II. I believe that the permit is the same price regardless of the amount of shell being imported/exported, so small shipments are not economically viable.
et al
Old 12-30-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Not exactly nothing to do with CITES, the Lacey Act is the US implementation of the CITES treaty, and the latest amendment is in response to changes in the CITES regulations.
This seems to be a common misconception, likely due to the Lacey Act and the US as a party to CITES both coming under the responsibility of the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The regulatory paperwork for the two are different and requirements triggered by different factors. The shell in question by the OP is NOT listed on any CITES Appendix — it requires no CITES paperwork and trades freely under CITES — but, it IS a product of wildlife and therefore trade is regulated under Lacey, with its own permit requirements that are unique to the US. Again, nothing to do with CITES.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:20 AM

If you're talking about having it shipped out of the US then pretty much that's it... I have never seen a supplier willing to ship it out of the US due to the reasons listed above.

I'm not sure where you're located, but I haven't had issue having shell shipped into Canada from a few different suppliers in Vietnam and Japan. If you can find a supplier for the part outside of the US then you will likely have better luck.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:34 PM

Check out Andy Depaule. http://www.luthiersupply.com

Good luck

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop