The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-29-2017, 08:09 PM

Default Chicago Music Exchange “Floor Models”

Has anyone here purchased a guitar from CME marked as a “floor model”? Any experiences with the quality? Did your guitar arrive with a setup? I’d like to hear your experiences!

Ty
Old 11-30-2017, 07:15 AM

There have been several discussions on that topic on The Gear Page, especially concerning Gibson models. The ones I recall were positive experiences...
Old 11-30-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
There have been several discussions on that topic on The Gear Page, especially concerning Gibson models. The ones I recall were positive experiences...

Do you have links? I’ve done tons of searches and can’t seem to find anything..
Old 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM

CME floor models are often new guitars they wish to discount below the minimum advertised price. Sometimes they are indeed floor models. It is a large store and it gets a lot of foot traffic. So, you can expect a floor model to have some use. That said, they have a monitor in the acoustic room at all times, so instruments are not abused, like they are in some big box stores. Certain models will even be listed as used. I've bought many guitars from CME over the years. They are a reputable company with a very good repair shop that does the setups. Tell them what you want in terms of setup, and they will do it, usually at no extra charge.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I have bought 3 acoustics from CME that were listed as Floor Models (all Gibson). I bought them substantially on the cheap. Each, in my opinion, were not even floor models, but rather they are left over stock that CME needs to move out as they take on the hefty current year Gibson Floor Spend.

Each of my three purchases were stellar, mint, and I was pleased. CME is allright...
Old 11-30-2017, 09:05 AM

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...stion.1884909/
Old 11-30-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post

Thank you for this! Looks like most have been homeruns, but a couple of misses here and there.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I have bought 3 acoustics from CME that were listed as Floor Models (all Gibson). I bought them substantially on the cheap. Each, in my opinion, were not even floor models, but rather they are left over stock that CME needs to move out as they take on the hefty current year Gibson Floor Spend.

Each of my three purchases were stellar, mint, and I was pleased. CME is allright...

I’ve got a Gibson 335 Studio on the way that I got for under a grand! I’m hoping she plays well. I couldn’t care less if there are scratches or paint mistakes. Playability is everything to me.

Sounds like you got some killer guitars at amazing prices. Glad to hear you had 3 positive experiences with CME!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
CME floor models are often new guitars they wish to discount below the minimum advertised price. Sometimes they are indeed floor models. It is a large store and it gets a lot of foot traffic. So, you can expect a floor model to have some use. That said, they have a monitor in the acoustic room at all times, so instruments are not abused, like they are in some big box stores. Certain models will even be listed as used. I've bought many guitars from CME over the years. They are a reputable company with a very good repair shop that does the setups. Tell them what you want in terms of setup, and they will do it, usually at no extra charge.

Well, had I known that I would have asked for specific strings, action height, etc prior to shipping, but it’ll be here tomorrow. However, that’s something I can change myself. I’m really just wanting a straight neck, good sounding pickups, and a guitar that feels right. I know CME pays a lot of attention to details and I don’t doubt they’ll send me a great guitar!
Old 11-30-2017, 09:28 PM

I picked up two, an ES Les Paul, and a traditional.

Both are great, and were great prices. The neck on the ES is incredibly comfortable, and sounds great.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
I picked up two, an ES Les Paul, and a traditional.

Both are great, and were great prices. The neck on the ES is incredibly comfortable, and sounds great.

My 335 will be here tomorrow! I’m feeling more and more confident that I have a good one headed my way. I’m going to take it into my local music shop for a thorough inspection to make sure I’m not missing anything. Sounds like you got some good ones as well! The ES LPs look so awesome! It’s definitely the weird cousin of the 339 and LP. [emoji12]
Old 12-20-2017, 05:34 PM

I ordered a Gibson ES-335 Studio "floor model" from this CME sale last week, and I'm really happy with the guitar.

A few minor imperfections, but definitely a keeper. I got a fantastic deal, as well.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
I ordered a Gibson ES-335 Studio "floor model" from this CME sale last week, and I'm really happy with the guitar.

A few minor imperfections, but definitely a keeper. I got a fantastic deal, as well.

Beautiful! Looks like we have twins!
Old 12-20-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
Beautiful! Looks like we have twins!
Whoa!! Yep, definitely twins!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars