The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-22-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
Can you all comment on string spacing in terms comparative to other (perhaps wood) guitars?

Most CF look to be narrow-ish in this area. How does the Savoy compare?

Thanks!
Hoping someone will respond to the above. Also, with regard to the CH-OM also discussed in this thread.

If helpful, I'll ad that I gravitate, in terms of comfort and string spacing, to my Gibson J35 and my CE0-7 -- A little more so than my 000-15 but I adore the 15's tone. All three of these I like greatly in terms of tone.

I'm concerned about string spacing but have considered the Savoy and the CH-Om...Can anyone comment on the spacing relative to that which I've referenced above?

Thanks much!
Old 10-24-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Hoping someone will respond to the above. Also, with regard to the CH-OM also discussed in this thread.

If helpful, I'll ad that I gravitate, in terms of comfort and string spacing, to my Gibson J35 and my CE0-7 -- A little more so than my 000-15 but I adore the 15's tone. All three of these I like greatly in terms of tone.

I'm concerned about string spacing but have considered the Savoy and the CH-Om...Can anyone comment on the spacing relative to that which I've referenced above?

Thanks much!
Quote:
Can you all comment on string spacing in terms comparative to other (perhaps wood) guitars?

Most CF look to be narrow-ish in this area. How does the Savoy compare?

Thanks!
Not sure how I missed this.

Rainsong and Blackbird use the 1-3/4" nut 2-3/16" saddle spacing combo used on all Taylor models, as well as Martins with the PA necks, and most Collings models. Composite Acoustics and Journey also have 1-3/4" nut width, but they opted for the 2-1/4" saddle spacing.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Not sure how I missed this.

Rainsong and Blackbird use the 1-3/4" nut 2-3/16" saddle spacing combo used on all Taylor models, as well as Martins with the PA necks, and most Collings models. Composite Acoustics and Journey also have 1-3/4" nut width, but they opted for the 2-1/4" saddle spacing.
Ted, I think I already know the answer is no, but can/will Blackbird do a 2-1/4” saddle spacing on the Savoy? My guitars have both the 2-3/16” and 2-1/4”, but my bare fingerpicking style tends to prefer the bit wider spacing.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Ted, I think I already know the answer is no, but can/will Blackbird do a 2-1/4” saddle spacing on the Savoy? My guitars have both the 2-3/16” and 2-1/4”, but my bare fingerpicking style tends to prefer the bit wider spacing.
I don't see that as an option, but I will check with Joe to be sure.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I don't see that as an option, but I will check with Joe to be sure.
Ok, thanks!
Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Yes! My preference too! I'd be interested in the answer to that as well!

Also Ted, would you be able to determine the same with regard to the CH-OM?

I've emailed RS twice with questions and never have received an answer...Maybe I just don't know the secret email address!
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 PM

Bridge string spacing on my CH-OM1100NS is 2 3/16". Feels plenty wide enough for my finger style playing. Between that and 2 1/4" (1/16th inch difference at the bridge), when played at the sound hole, feels pretty much moot to me. No where near enough difference to matter significantly to me.

Last edited by DHart; 10-24-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

I have a 2 1/4’’ string spacing on my Savoy. It requires a custom bridge though, and the option is quite costly (+200$)
Old 10-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Bridge string spacing on my CH-OM1100NS is 2 3/16". Feels plenty wide enough for my finger style playing. Between that and 2 1/4" (1/16th inch difference at the bridge), when played at the sound hole, feels pretty much moot to me. No where near enough difference to matter significantly to me.
Our playing styles may be similar, but when I play my Taylor 814c with the 2-3/16” spacing, I play it fine, but I do notice and prefer the slightly increased 1/16” space on my Cargo. I know they are otherwise entirely different guitars, but approaching the guitars with the same technique and song, there is a noticeable difference...to me.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
I have a 2 1/4’’ string spacing on my Savoy. It requires a custom bridge though, and the option is quite costly (+200$)
Thanks Tøf. I’m glad to know that at least it’s an option.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Our playing styles may be similar, but when I play my Taylor 814c with the 2-3/16” spacing, I play it fine, but I do notice and prefer the slightly increased 1/16” space on my Cargo. I know they are otherwise entirely different guitars, but approaching the guitars with the same technique and song, there is a noticeable difference...to me.
I'd say go with whatever difference makes a difference to you. That's all that matters!

I have so many different guitars, that I just roll with whatever happens to be under my fingers. . The subtle differences between them all don't seem to phase me that much. They each have their own unique sensibilities, advantages, and disadvantages.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I'd say go with whatever difference makes a difference to you. That's all that matters!

I have so many different guitars, that I just roll with whatever happens to be under my fingers. . The subtle differences between them all don't seem to phase me that much. They each have their own unique sensibilities, advantages, and disadvantages.
Actually D, I always pretty much rolled with it too. Never gave it much thought until, for whatever reason, I became acutely aware of the comfort, ease of play and intimacy I was realizing from my small Cargo. Among the many reason, I’ve come to realize that the little extra string spacing was making a positive difference in my bare fingerpicking, and I liked it. So, I’ve only recently learned that if I have a choice, I’d go with 2-1/4”. Of course, finger size among players makes a difference in how this is perceived, or not. One might think that a player with short, stubby fingers would notice more and benefit from a bit wider spacing. Not necessarily so. Mine are fairly long and skinny, and I notice...after many years of not noticing though. Maybe it’s a byproduct of aging.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thank you!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Actually D, I always pretty much rolled with it too. Never gave it much thought until, for whatever reason, I became acutely aware of the comfort, ease of play and intimacy I was realizing from my small Cargo. Among the many reason, I’ve come to realize that the little extra string spacing was making a positive difference in my bare fingerpicking, and I liked it. So, I’ve only recently learned that if I have a choice, I’d go with 2-1/4”. Of course, finger size among players makes a difference in how this is perceived, or not. One might think that a player with short, stubby fingers would notice more and benefit from a bit wider spacing. Not necessarily so. Mine are fairly long and skinny, and I notice...after many years of not noticing though. Maybe it’s a byproduct of aging.
Tom... I agree; if a 1/16th inch difference in string spacing at the bridge results in a noticeable improvement in your fingerpicking, then by all means seek out 2 1/4" spacing and bypass guitars that you can't get that with. But this may also mean that you bypass guitars which have other desirable qualities that you might wish you had? Compromise... is what life is all about, ultimately.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:56 PM

I've always been surprised by how much difference 1/16th of an inch makes at the nut in going from 1 11/16ths to 1 3/4ths, but the extra 1/16th at the bridge end is not very noticeable to me. A much bigger spacing factor between the Cargo and the Savoy is the scale length difference which makes the Cargo much easier to play if stretching between frets.

The nut width difference between a 52mm nut on a typical classical guitar and a 1 3/4" nut on a steel string acoustic really is significant at a full 1/4", but I can adapt quickly to the wider nut spacing, other than not being able to thumb fret much on a classical. In fact, the much wider spacing makes some playing easier, especially classical style music (no big surprise there).

My Cargo may be the easiest of my guitars to play for several reasons:

1. adequate string spacing
2. scale length (easier stretch and lower string tension)
3. comfortable body and neck shape
4. Great setup by Michael Stone and his tech, including low action

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber