The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-31-2017, 04:59 PM

Default Strings for "Franken-tenor"...

Not sure where to post this question - I am new to playing and to the tech. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The background is that I am repairing/converting a ¾ size (steel string) acoustic with a 23"scale to a 4-string tenor guitar/baritone uke hybrid (of sorts!). I have trimmed the neck a bit thinner, and am replacing the bridge and nut with more appropriate sized ones. It was (literally) found in trash on the roadside by my daughter and I! After fixing the bulge caused by a popped bridge and re-gluing a few loose supports - it is in great shape for a cheap unbranded acoustic.

The issue is that I want to tune it dGBE (high D re-entrant). I'd prefer non-metal strings (due to preference and tension concerns). An added benefit is I wouldn't need a "wound" low D string...? (Feels weird to a beginner uke player)

My first question: what type of strings is recommended in this case? I was thinking something of higher tension (for classical) because the slightly shorter scale length might make them ultimately more of a medium tension - and being a (beginner) ukulele player, I like a brighter sound. (Playing Aquila nylgut on my concert uke)
But I was looking at D'addario black nylon folk strings with the ball ends because of their history of use on non-classical acoustic guitars. Any suggestions?

Second follow-up question: most importantly - with these strings (or any others you'd recommend) can I just use another B or E string (.032 or .028 gauge in the Folk String case) and tune it to the high D that should fall somewhere between these? Any idea where to find singles to match.
Would any difference in tension be noticeable to me (a novice player)?

LASTLY - I realized the replacement bridge I have is a few inches smaller (an undrilled uke bridge from StewMac). As long as I have good attachment (surface is nice and flat bare wood now with two existing bolt holes I may re-use), would this smaller bridge affect sound? Perhaps louder as there is less to stiffen the soundboard?

Long winded... but thanks for any advice!!
Old 05-31-2017, 05:26 PM

Other Stringed Instruments

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...splay.php?f=47

Might be able to help you out, maybe you can have the thread moved.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:59 AM

Fred - thanks for any help.
My first forum. Not sure how to move to another thread without posting twice?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:39 AM

The smaller bridge will affect the tone in theory but of course you are doing far more to that guitar that will affect the tone so it would be hard to tell. But all things equal yes it would.

I think you might be right in your thinking with the high tension strings and using another E-String but I don't know. 23in is a normal Tenor guitar scale and I've certainly heard of people making nylon strung ones. The problem you might have is that if the guitar was braced for steel strings it might just sound terrible. If it's a cheap ladder braced guitar then who knows? You will find out one way or another
Old 06-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Thanks, redir! I appreciate your thoughts.

True about all the other alterations affecting tone far more than some minor bridge/soundboard ratio! It is a pretty low-end ladder-braced guitar - although pretty solidly built. I'm sure I'll at least get a better sound than some cigarbox ukes I've seen

Not expecting much, but having a blast "learning while doing". Fun for my daughter and son help too. Today I am attempting a sunburst stain on the top... because if it doesn't sound good, it should at least look good!

So - I have some time to think about strings while I finish all the body work...
Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 AM

I just recently built a tenor guitar for myself. I sort of fell in love with the sound of it when I heard this little Irish folk band play a few months back. I can't believe all these years I've never had one, not even heard of them really. I love the thing, it's great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
classical on steel string, parlor, reentrant, string tension, tenor