The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-02-2017, 08:23 PM

Well, one thing is for sure. The lady can speak at a lower volume. We haven't heard a peep since the cops came to our house. This weekend is the real test to see what kind of neighbor they will be. I want to believe that #1 they just didnt realize they could be heard and that #2 we would be the prick neighbor to call the cops. I mean what do you do when the HOA, board members, all tell you to call the cops?

Pray for us. This really has taken a mental toll on me. I am so sensitive and fearful of what they may do. I wish I was like my son and wife, just living their lives.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:37 PM

Continue to call the police.
Send notifications to your management company.
Read your complexes rules and regulations. Many violations of the rules
can carry fines. Be firm with the management company about the fines.
It's amazing how bad behavior gets quickly corrected, when unruly neighbors
get hit in their wallet.

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 06-04-2017, 09:42 PM

Wow, I had high hopes since they were dead quite for an entire week. But it all started at 10 pm yesterday. Singing and howling...yes, howling. The lady must be a nutjob. We put up with it from 10 pm til midnight and called the police. I asked the dispatcher to tell the officer to listen if he can hear from the outside, but come inside our house if not. This officer just went straight to my next door neighbor and told him I hear nothing but you did get a complaint. Then he came to my house and was very annoyed by me. I asked him why he didn't come into my house and listen to what we have to put up with. He said he doesnt want to get into disputes between neighbors. I could not believe what I was hearing. He went onto say it's Saturday night and people normally party at this hour. I told him all I want is to live inside my house in peace and to be able to sleep without the noise. He told me to call the Magistrate's Office. Take them to court. He said I am the one escalating the situation. The officer told me to call the HOA, board members, and talk to the neighbor directly. I clearly told him that I did ALL of that. He just seemed very annoyed. I told him if I hear the noise again next week that I will call again. He asked me what do I want him to do. He started arguing with me. At this point, I realized I am gonna get nowhere with this officer so we said goodbye. I called the station and asked for his supervisor. Unfortunately, the supervisor was out on duty so I spoke to the civilian personnel at the station. He had been there for 20 plus years and gave me some real good insight. He told me to keep calling the police. If the police see that it is their 8th or 10th time coming out for the same complaint, they will eventually write a ticket. Make sure not to get baited by the neighbor. This post is getting too long.

We went looking around for a single family home. Hope that will solve this issue.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:49 PM

You will have to be the complainant at any point. A police officer can't have his/her "peace disturbed". For a disturbing the peace complaint, there has to be an offended party. That would be you. Whenever you're ready, you can call and have them summoned. Every town/city has a noise ordinance and that includes a time which is usually 10pm-7am where disturbing noises are prohibited.

I would be taping anything possible to show how and when unwanted noises are being heard. However, again, a summons won't be issued until you sign a complaint. Then in court it will be you complaining about the neighbor. Your filed police complaints can be a part of your "evidence" as can be recordings and other documented information showing what efforts you've taken to curtail the disturbing noise. Keep in there, good luck.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
Wow, I had high hopes since they were dead quite for an entire week. But it all started at 10 pm yesterday. Singing and howling...yes, howling. The lady must be a nutjob. We put up with it from 10 pm til midnight and called the police. I asked the dispatcher to tell the officer to listen if he can hear from the outside, but come inside our house if not. This officer just went straight to my next door neighbor and told him I hear nothing but you did get a complaint. Then he came to my house and was very annoyed by me. I asked him why he didn't come into my house and listen to what we have to put up with. He said he doesnt want to get into disputes between neighbors. I could not believe what I was hearing. He went onto say it's Saturday night and people normally party at this hour. I told him all I want is to live inside my house in peace and to be able to sleep without the noise. He told me to call the Magistrate's Office. Take them to court. He said I am the one escalating the situation. The officer told me to call the HOA, board members, and talk to the neighbor directly. I clearly told him that I did ALL of that. He just seemed very annoyed. I told him if I hear the noise again next week that I will call again. He asked me what do I want him to do. He started arguing with me. At this point, I realized I am gonna get nowhere with this officer so we said goodbye. I called the station and asked for his supervisor. Unfortunately, the supervisor was out on duty so I spoke to the civilian personnel at the station. He had been there for 20 plus years and gave me some real good insight. He told me to keep calling the police. If the police see that it is their 8th or 10th time coming out for the same complaint, they will eventually write a ticket. Make sure not to get baited by the neighbor. This post is getting too long.

We went looking around for a single family home. Hope that will solve this issue.
Wow, he was a lot of help. Hopefully if you need to call again you get someone a little more professional. I feel for you Rudals, and your family. I do think you're doing the right thing though. This is gonna eat away at you too much and make life miserable if you live like this for too long. Unfortunately you have neighbors who don't care. People rarely change and they're not likely to anytime soon. And with no real positive help from LE at this stage what motivation have they got to. Stay positive and keep cool, play some guitar and imagine your new place and it will come.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

It doesn't sound as though this officer was being non-biased and doing his job. He's making excuses for the noise makers. You have to keep making complaints and at the same time I would accelerate your home search and get away from these nut cases as soon as possible.

Keep documenting everything - videos and start a journal if you haven't already. You may want to consider seeking the opinion of a lawyer as these people are interfering with your right to quiet enjoyment of your premises. A civil complaint of a lawsuit - which would impact their pockets, might stop the whole thing. The cops can't do anything they figure, but a civil case might change their tune.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-05-2017, 05:49 AM

I need to make some adjustments so that I can enjoy life.
1. I know that they are quite during the week, Saturdays until 10 PM, and Sundays. So I will do my best to not think about them and just enjoy my life.
2. Continue the search for a single family house with a HUGE lot.
3. Call the police but ask them to come to my house and to listen instead of going straight to the neighbor's house.
4. Just turn on the air purifier (white noise) on Saturdays when going to sleep.
5. Start calling the courts and seek out legal consultation.

These people just do NOT get how disruptive they are nor feel the need to change. Home is a place where I do not want an external party affecting my peace. I will fight until it stops.

And thank you all for your posts. They are really supportive.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:03 AM

I would be setting up some method to record the noise because at some point this is going to come down to he said, she said, and it sounds the the burden of proof rests with you.

I've been in your shoes and had to move because of disrespectful neighbors. Face it, there are an increasing number of people in this world who care only about themselves, and nothing you can do can change that.

I wish you well.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
I would be setting up some method to record the noise because at some point this is going to come down to he said, she said, and it sounds the the burden of proof rests with you.

I've been in your shoes and had to move because of disrespectful neighbors. Face it, there are an increasing number of people in this world who care only about themselves, and nothing you can do can change that.

I wish you well.
Thank for chiming in FLRon.
I tried recording it with my phone but it didn't pick up much. Maybe it was because I was trying to record it via video recorder.

Yes, I am baffled by these people. He had the audacity to say to police that he did nothing wrong when I have been suffering ever since they've moved in. Ugh...what's going on in this world.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Police are very unlikely to come to your house first to 'hear the noise'. Your neighbors probably see the cruiser pulling up and quiet down right away (or do so when the knock comes on the door).
Unfortunately, for you and your family, this won't get any better - unless either the neighbor moves, or you do. One of those you can do something about.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-05-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Police are very unlikely to come to your house first to 'hear the noise'. Your neighbors probably see the cruiser pulling up and quiet down right away (or do so when the knock comes on the door).
Unfortunately, for you and your family, this won't get any better - unless either the neighbor moves, or you do. One of those you can do something about.
Very true.
The optimist in me says if they're quite during the week, maybe they will become the quite neighbor when they stop inviting people to their new house. I mean, could this really go on for months and years? Every Saturday? That's the optimist talking in my head.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

What if: every time you hear them, respond as if they were talking to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-06-2017, 06:33 AM

Time to start packing!
The next door neighbor man drove up to my wife and son (8 months old) while they were walking around the neighborhood and asked if we had called the police on them. He made no threats but I let the cops know about this. My wife quickly picked up on what he was trying to do and said she had no idea what he was talking about.

Don't worry about who called the cops. Stop the noise!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Hire a lawyer and sue them for breach of quiet enjoyment. when it starts costing them money, maybe they will wise up.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Hire a lawyer and sue them for breach of quiet enjoyment. when it starts costing them money, maybe they will wise up.
The noise ordinance in my county is so hard to enforce even for the cops. We would need hard evidence like recordings and testimony from the neighbor on the other side. I always have my video recorder on when I am walking around the neighborhood because I just don't know. He could make a threat or his wife (cops are questioning whether she has a mental issue) could go nuts on me. Let them. It will be an assault.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic