The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb9682 View Post
Nice! I've never ridden one, but they look like fun.
Pedal assist with the electrics. Although these have a throttle, it is rare that I use that. The pedal assist gives you more speed, and a bit less effort. The bikes have 6 speeds; with 5 levels of pedal assist, it gives you a LOT of gear/effort options. Hills that would have me wheezing on my regular bike can be done in second gear, fourth level pedal assist, and I am still doing 10+ mph. The fat tires are great for "Rails to Trails" type riding. Only a bit of suspension on the seat post, but the fat tires keep the ride nice.

Fold 'em and they go into the Honda CR-V in the background.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
2015 Ibis Ripley at Long Ridge Open Space Preserve near Saratoga Gap.
Have you seen this Ripley? Too bad there's no Vimeo embedding here. This is great and kills a lot of stereotypes about big wheels.

https://vimeo.com/99370997

We finished the day with sunset and the rain coming both in view for the perfect wrap up to the week and trail work's on deck in the morning.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:16 PM

This isn't a good shot but here's my old Trek 4900 circa 2002 at one of my favorite stops on the Montour Trail (formerly the Montour Rail Road) south of Pittsburgh. Most of the trail is crushed limestone with a good section paved in asphalt and I was never much of an off roared so I had hybrid tires put on it a few years back.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Just a humble Schwinn Cadence (nice name for a musician's bike) mountain bike. Shocks on the front forks and seat post to help my aging back. It's been a much better bike than I expected, so instead of replacing it last year when I planned I had it serviced by a pro, though I did the basics like the tires/tubes/seat/lube. The pedals need replacing now but otherwise it's great.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is funny, I was just going over mine today in prep for a ride tomorrow morning.

Gios Compact Pro...love the steel frames. I had carbon fiber bikes for a long time but every one of them developed flex in the frame so I went back to steel.

Love those GIOS frames! I think the Kelme squad used to ride those IIRC. I have a blue Steelman that has a similar look though it's not lugged. You post made me pull it down and tune it up. Ready to ride now!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:39 AM

Help me!!!!!!!!

With my bike and posting pics.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
If it's to stay in shape, no need for a road bike, unless you need to keep up with other riders who are on them. Far fewer hassles with a mountain bike, even with road slicks on them. How often do you see road bikers on the side of the road fiddling with tires or rims vs. Mountain bikes?

I'm not down with clip-ins. I still use the original beartraps with toe clips, and light hiking boots. I had been racing way too long with beartraps and clips when clip-ins became the new hotness for off road racing to switch.
Yes mostly to stay in shape, and stay out of the hospital. And being on the road I really like the clip-ins, don't ride off road and definitely don't care what "the new hot- ness" is or isn't, only interested what works well. For example could care less if lycra/spandex, is not politically correct for mountain bikes, gotta have the padded butt and hate stuff flapping around at 25-45 mph.

I have noted that the only time I see fiddling with tires are those tiny road racing type tires, but have also noted it is getting exponentially less for road bikes in general as well.

And yes when I ride with my daughter and son in law they are constantly having to circle waiting for me to catch up

So while in no hurry I will indeed be trying out some of the more comfortable endurance/sportive type offerings, because riding my son in laws bike I have noted that going from 34 lbs to 18 is a whole new world.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-06-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Help me!!!!!!!!

https://goo.gl/photos/VdMswMa97RY5ocrK6
Looks like Google Photos does not offer easy ways to get a photo link that most forums would understand.

All forums that I frequent need a link to a file with an ending like .jpg or .png.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-06-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
This isn't a good shot but here's my old Trek 4900 circa 2002 at one of my favorite stops on the Montour Trail (formerly the Montour Rail Road) south of Pittsburgh. Most of the trail is crushed limestone with a good section paved in asphalt and I was never much of an off roared so I had hybrid tires put on it a few years back.

That looks like a very nice trail to ride. It reminds me that I do miss the Silver Comet Trail in GA for riding.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Love those GIOS frames! I think the Kelme squad used to ride those IIRC. I have a blue Steelman that has a similar look though it's not lugged. You post made me pull it down and tune it up. Ready to ride now!
Heh! Glad I could help I've never ridden a Steelman, but have heard very good things about them. Obviously I'm a fan of steel frames, but those bikes look great from what I've seen.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Help me!!!!!!!!

May not work on mobile, trying to figure that out.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Heh! Glad I could help I've never ridden a Steelman, but have heard very good things about them. Obviously I'm a fan of steel frames, but those bikes look great from what I've seen.
Steelman and inspector:

Old 05-06-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
May not work on mobile, trying to figure that out.
Thanks, Dirk, funny, I thought I was sharing a pic of my Ibis in pieces awaiting an upgrade to 1x11 drivetrain and dropper seat post rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Dirk, funny, I thought I was sharing a pic of my Ibis in pieces awaiting an upgrade to 1x11 drivetrain and dropper seat post rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That I want to see! Dropper post is a must.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:18 AM

My Sta. Cruz 29er.
SL29-4 by sage972003, on Flickr

I also have a Scott CR1 but can't find a better shot.
Scott-3 by sage972003, on Flickr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic