The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausagesBeGone View Post
Mine was in the same batch 😀

An X7 for me with a K&K pickup. Had the guitar for around 10 days now and not been able to put it down.

I haven't tried it plugged in but Sean said he had a "tinkle" when he was passing the set-up bench and commented on how good the K&K sounded.

You all know what the X7 looks like so I haven't posted any pics.
Congrats on the X7! Love mine. Yes, we know what an X7 looks like, but we don't know what yours looks like, with you! Photos are always appreciated.

I mentioned above that my X7 got the love this morning, while the X20 got to take a break. That little guitar sure makes me smile. Again, I am impressed with the sound and tone... I totally get the responses here that these two are a delightful pairing - I concur!

My wife and daughter are keeping us busy while we're here - we volunteered in our daughter's classroom again today, then out for supper... cuts into my guitar time.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Being a bit pugnacious, I would suggest that Peavey might have the advertising power of Taylor.

I would also argue that cheap electric guitars do not preclude interest in more expensive guitars. As proof I would point to the acoustic CF guitars that have hit the market well beyond the price of many wooden instruments, and done well.

When I was moving through more than 40 wooden nylon string guitars to find my ideal, I ran across $300 dollar guitars that competed well with U.S. guitars in the thousands of dollars range, and those high-range guitars sold. CF guitars priced well above many wooden instruments have found a market--people interested in something new, something that sounded a bit unique, something that was weather proof.

While certain electric guitars dominate the market, that means that something unique might be inspiring. I can almost taste an X7, 2" wide, 1 6/8" nut width, woody with center sound hole surrounded by a way cool rosette.

But maybe that's just me.
For the record, I saw the video with you and Alistair, and I don't think you look anything like a pug... nor argumentative. A new quest for you... and perhaps another challenge for the Emerald team?

The guitar that I have owned the longest (51 years) is a Gibson ES-335... could that be better as carbon fiber (certainly bigger and heavier than the X7 hybrid you are proposing)? Maybe. A market for it? You'd have to convince someone to accept that gamble. Then, the choices of pickup(s) and where to mount/position them. A lot of things to sort out. Then, convince the market why they need this.

You are a dreamer, my friend, and that is where innovation gets its start. Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

My quest for a CF nylon string acoustic guitar has pretty much been satisfied by the CF instruments that have hit the market; Blackbird's Rider and Super OM, Rainsong's Parlor, and Emerald's X10 and X20 builds are diverse and sweet.

While CF has a strong presence in the acoustic guitar market, the electric guitar seems like a new frontier. I'm working on Alistair for an X7 thin-body electric. What would be really sweet is if one of Emerald's monthly guitar batches contained 4 or 5 different electric guitar types, each one unique and fetching. And then demand could dictate if any of the 4 or 5 would become a production model.

Or maybe a monthly batch of the X7 thin body with different faces, different electronics, both steel and nylon string versions. In my discussions with Alistair I am arguing that the same guitar could be used for both nylon and steel string instruments. A 1 6/8" nut width can work for both steel and nylon strings. Bridges and string ties can vary but one bridge/string tie might also work for steel and nylon. Electronics can vary on the same basic build.

With acoustic instruments the steel string guitar takes greater tension, is stronger, and so does not project well with the lighter tension of nylon strings. But electrifying the instrument can bring up the projection of nylon strings while retaining tonal lushness. That's my theory of how one guitar can work for both steel and nylon players.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Might be a hard-sell, Evan, if the Emerald crew is staying as busy as they care to be with current demand. Interesting premise, though.

I am a happy boy with my Emerald acoustics, and I do have a couple semi-hollow bodies for the rare occasion I feel the electric only urge... so you may be on this crusade solo. That said, you do have a proven track record of buying the guitars of your desires. Good luck with this quest.

---------

Back to the X20 again for guitar time today. Yes, it's only been a week... I still get goosebumps with the sound of this beauty.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

Thank you. Persistence is part of my pugnacious persona. I've worked with (and somewhat badgered) the big three and I have often gotten my way. Joe made 5 Super OMNs, in part because of my persistence. Ashvin, bless his heart, let me preview one of his new nylon guitars, which I massacred, and then he came out with the stunning Parlor nylon string (and I'll take some credit). I've harassed Alistair on a steady basis and he has, on occasion had to tell me no. Boy, I hate no.

The point is that we on this forum are really lucky. The big three CF makers are philosopher kings. Ashvin, Joe, and Alistair are all thinkers and they have thought themselves out of the box. They are also doers; They have thought the thought and done the thing.

I count myself extremely lucky to be part of a revolution in luthery.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Ten days in. I even smile when I walk by the case. No place to keep the guitar out in the motorhome. At home, I have a guitar room... with a separate temperature/humidity sensor that pulls up on my tablet or phone. 51% there right now, 21% here in the desert. X20... X7... decisions, decisions. OK, I'll give them both some time today. They're both fine with being out in the dry.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Let me state up front: this is in no way a put down to those who ask, "Which one sounds more like wood?" (I see that from time to time on this sub-forum)

I still have some wood guitars. Interestingly enough, they don't sound like each other. One is a laminate; others are solid woods. There is some rosewood, some spruce, some mahogany... and I have to say that I do appreciate the sound of each.

That said, I don't think about which of my carbon fiber guitars sounds most like wood. I appreciate each for the crisp, clear sound they have. I don't see more wood guitars coming to live with us - while I do like their sound, I like the sound of my carbon fiber guitars even more. Not because any of them "sound like wood," but because they each sound great. I also think that each of my carbon fiber guitars sound different from the other.

This new X20 makes me smile every time I pick it up: something about the fact that is has a great carbon fiber voice, but looks like a fine wood guitar, taken to another level.

I don't see any more wood guitars coming to live with us. Just for a reference point: which wood guitars sound most like carbon fiber??
Old 03-01-2017, 04:42 PM

Aye Captain .... well put and so true.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I bought my X7 partly because of the Captains review and partly because I wanted a "care-free" travel guitar to throw in the camper when we go. It sounds nothing like wood, and that is fine because it sounds great, and I agree that it does sound better than a lot of wood guitars. It took me a week or 2 to adjust, but as the Elixirs broke in, this thing got better and better, I love it. I grab it to play 90% of the time. The Rainsong WS holds it's own, but is a totally different sound. I'll probably be selling a wood guitar pretty soon, I hate seeing them unplayed. And a LOT because of the Captain, I think an X20 may be on the way soon. Are you on the Emerald payroll Jim?

I'll also echo what a pleasure it is to do business with Sean and Emerald. Top notch customer support and service.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I bought my X7 partly because of the Captains review and partly because I wanted a "care-free" travel guitar to throw in the camper when we go. It sounds nothing like wood, and that is fine because it sounds great, and I agree that it does sound better than a lot of wood guitars. It took me a week or 2 to adjust, but as the Elixirs broke in, this thing got better and better, I love it. I grab it to play 90% of the time. The Rainsong WS holds it's own, but is a totally different sound. I'll probably be selling a wood guitar pretty soon, I hate seeing them unplayed. And a LOT because of the Captain, I think an X20 may be on the way soon. Are you on the Emerald payroll Jim?

I'll also echo what a pleasure it is to do business with Sean and Emerald. Top notch customer support and service.
All the usual disclaimers apply: just a very satisfied customer... no financial connection to Emerald, other than giving them my hard-earned money in return for some great guitars... your mileage may vary... warning: use of this product may cause feelings of euphoria and big goofy grins... ask your fingers and ears if an Emerald might be right for you... use of Emerald products may make you appear more confident and better looking to the opposite sex... void where prohibited by closed minds.

Not like I'm trying to entice you, but... you know how good your X7 is? Well...

Can't wait to see what Alistair has in store for the March Select Series!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Well said and VERY accurate Captain ! If the X20 is as good as the X7, I'll be ecstatic ! I have one in the queue....now the wait.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Well said and VERY accurate Captain ! If the X20 is as good as the X7, I'll be ecstatic ! I have one in the queue....now the wait.
I told myself I would be happy if the X20 was as good as my X7... no disrespect to that delightful X7, but the X20 is more of what I like about the X7 AND just as ergonomically comfortable... and, the sound... oh, that wonderful sound.

The X7 is a new Miata. The X20 is a Porsche.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

It has been two weeks now; without the anticipation, the wait, the angst. Who knew that I would actually enjoy that process? Nahhh, I'm kidding - waiting isn't my strong suit.

Which is why I decided to order something else on-line. No, not another guitar... are you kidding? This X20 is perfect for me! Sitting here in our motorhome, however, I have no way to record the sound of this beautiful instrument. A visit with my Sweetwater guy, and there is a Zoom H4n Pro being shipped. Probably early next week before I see it.

I recorded a few songs for my wife last year (one of those "All I want..." requests), but it was just with the onboard mic on my iPad Mini. It wasn't great, but she was happy. This guitar makes me want to record something nicer for her.

This wait is a piece of cake - I have two really great guitars to take my mind off of it.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
It has been two weeks now; without the anticipation, the wait, the angst. Who knew that I would actually enjoy that process? Nahhh, I'm kidding - waiting isn't my strong suit.

Which is why I decided to order something else on-line. No, not another guitar... are you kidding? This X20 is perfect for me! Sitting here in our motorhome, however, I have no way to record the sound of this beautiful instrument. A visit with my Sweetwater guy, and there is a Zoom H4n Pro being shipped. Probably early next week before I see it.

I recorded a few songs for my wife last year (one of those "All I want..." requests), but it was just with the onboard mic on my iPad Mini. It wasn't great, but she was happy. This guitar makes me want to record something nicer for her.

This wait is a piece of cake - I have two really great guitars to take my mind off of it.
Capn....

Very curious on your thoughts when you have some time to record, been looking at this same unit.

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2017, 05:35 AM

Zoom stuff does audio really well... I have a few of there products. I have the Q8 video recorder and it seems like it has the H4n Pro built in to it. Very nice indeed.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber