The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I tried a few but did not like the sound. Too dull sounding.
Yes, absolutely this.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-25-2017, 08:43 PM

I dislike the feel and tone of wooden picks. Wood offers none of the physical, material characteristics I value and enjoy in a pick, while other materials provide those very qualities. If you're looking to soften your attack -- why? -- then wood might serve, but I would much rather have a wide-range, high-fidelity pick and achieve tonal control through my own technique.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:05 AM

I have some John Pearse wood picks (ebony & rosewood) that I like a lot, especially with the thumb dimple. They're not (to me) for general use but do add some nice colors to your palette. They do wear in a bevel pretty quickly.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:10 AM

I haven't tried one and I'm not really inclined to. Judging from a few comments wood seems to be the antithesis to what I want from a pick-that being a bright, crisp attack.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:22 AM

Thumbs down Thailia .9mm picks warp

Ordered a mix pack. Took two .9mm pick out the the wonderfull packaging. Tryed them breifly while at my cabin and left them in my glass of picks.
When I arrived back 5 days latter they where both twisted enough to be problematic and rendered useless. Being a professional fine woodworker for 38 years I thought I would explain to the Thalia people in two rather labourious emails why the double layered .9mm picks are an unbalanced layout and will always twist. They seemed very uninterested in hearing what the problem was and eventually returned my money. Even went as far to state they have not had any other complaints. Clearly they are not paying attention. Any one who has worked with plywood of any kind knows there is alway an odd number of layers in plywood in order to keep the same grain direction on each side of the sheet. It is this fact that balances the plywood and keeps it flat.
There 1.4 mm picks will probably remain flat as they are 3 layers and laid up in a balance form. I do love the tone of them on my Mandolyn more than the guitar.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:16 PM

I've tried Thalia picks that they sent me with my capo. My opinion? Fail. The ones I receive did not have a bevel on them at all. I needed to call Thalia to discuss an issue I was having with my capo and asked about their picks. They said that they are unbeveled so that they will "wear down naturally".

If you want rosewood I suggest one of the newer Pickboy rosewood picks. However I like their Ebony and Buffalo horn picks even better. $6 each but great picks for the money.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-24-2018, 02:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have never tried them and have no opinion, although I don't hear too many positives on wooden picks from any vendors who make them. I do know that even the hardest woods cannot hold a candle to an industrial plastic when it comes to wear.

scott memmer
Old 08-24-2018, 03:14 PM

Tried one. Threw it out!
Old 10-06-2018, 12:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

I hear some of them sound good, but wear, even on the toughest of woods, seem to be a major issue.

sm
Old 10-06-2018, 12:51 PM

I really didn't play mine enough to worry about durability.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Right now, a pack of Thalia Picks arrived, 1.4mm. First thing: they have a strong woody smell. Since I've had experiences with other wood picks, I kind of knew what to expect from them. They take away a bit of the highs and reinforce the mids. They have a much better grasp than my nylon of plastic picks.

I'd recommend them to someone with a very bright guitar that wants to take away some of the brightness or to someone looking for more midrange presence, particularly at strumming. Not recommended to people with guitars with dark tones, as it will get them too dark.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion