The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-25-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
For myself, I believe there's a systematic issue that contributes. When I press the reply button there's no way to see the original post while you're replying. Particularly if you're replying to a long thread, the process may be:
Use the "reply with quote" feature. You can always delete the quote before posting, or, as I did year, snip out everything but the part that you are answering.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I agree with you, however would add that it's just human nature at work. Fortunately, even in looooong threads that may have a lot of self-adulation posts, there are usually very useful answers and quality "on topic" conversations to balance it out.

We're all just people.
I agree with Mark. Sometimes a conversation stays on topic, and sometimes somebody gets off into the tall grass, but that's human nature. I have gotten LOTS of great info from this group, but I have also been entertained by some of the ramblings. If a thread gets weird, then I just don't follow it. It's all about having fun!

However, I do feel the urge to defend "chaff"...

It serves a very important role!
2018 Larrivee Custom OM-10 Rosewood/Alpine Moon Spruce/Torch inlay
2018 Taylor 524ce LTD NAMM Show all-walnut
Old 06-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

As others have already said, participating here is a lot like the conversations we all have every day of our lives. Some stay more or less on topic, but many wander and go off on tangents. I don't see it as a good thing or a bad thing....it just is.

For my part, if I start a topic, I'm glad for the responses I get whether they're all strictly on point or not. It tells me that I at least had something to say that was worth responding to. Ever start a topic, then watch it slowly sink out of sight with zero responses? Doesn't it feel just a tiny bit embarrassing?
Old 06-25-2017, 02:08 PM

I've been around a long time and obviously don't contribute much but I rarely see pizza as an option anymore. The times they are a changin'.....

Old 06-25-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
It isn't the answers, Toby. It's the questions. Make them smart.
I disagree. Rather a lot, to be honest.

There is no way for a new player or new forum poster to KNOW what someone like this thinks is a smart question. They come here to LEARN and get opinions. None of that is stupid. Yes, everyone should use a search engine to see if their question has been asked before, but even then, it may not have been well ANSWERED before, so they try again. It is not stupid to raise your hand in class, again, if the teacher didn't answer your question to your satisfaction.

Now, back to Toby's post.

I agree with him ! I wish MORE posters would answer their question rather than ignore their requirements and suggestion something that doesn't meet it. I think these three reasons come into play.

1) The person relying doesn't like the guitars the OP is asking about, so they ignore the requirements and tell them what THEY would buy instead.

2) The person replying believes that in the long run, the OP will end up buying something OTHER than the guitars they have questions about and are giving them a short cut to what THEY feel is a better purchase. Both thoughts are opinions and may have nothing to do with the OPs reality.

3) The person replying assumes the OP hasn't thought of one THEY have experience with, so they through it in the ring of choices.

The posters that do #1 annoy me the most, because it's the most arrogent and least helpful way to respond.

Posters who fall in the #2 and #3 camps are at least trying to be helpful, but are making assumptions about the OPs lack of knowledge or research or what they have been able to play in a store.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-26-2017 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 06-26-2017, 07:16 AM

Thanks Toby, for attempting to raise consciousness about the impact of digressive and tangential posts. I don't agree with those who claim that such posts are merely a reflection of "human nature", or that conversation naturally flows this way. So I think your thread has much potential value (though I recognize that some folks don't have enough mental focus or enough concern about their impact on "anonymous" others to consider changing their style of participation).
Old 06-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
I've been around a long time and obviously don't contribute much but I rarely see pizza as an option anymore. The times they are a changin'.....
I disagree. Pizza is clearly an option, but it is unspoken. Pizza. And donuts. Options.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

LOL ..... So you think people actually read the OPs! LOL

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-26-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Thanks Toby, for attempting to raise consciousness about the impact of digressive and tangential posts. I don't agree with those who claim that such posts are merely a reflection of "human nature", or that conversation naturally flows this way. So I think your thread has much potential value (though I recognize that some folks don't have enough mental focus or enough concern about their impact on "anonymous" others to consider changing their style of participation).
Yeah, can you believe the nerve of some folks.

.......Mike
Old 06-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Guest316

There's an inherent problem with the premise here. If we complain about the quality of people's responses to threads, and look for a "solution",
  1. Who sets the standards?
  2. Who enforces the standards?
  3. How are the standards enforced?
Isn't it better just to accept the fact people are gonna post what they post, and go on with life? No one is ever going to post "correctly" all of the time, and I don't think anyone is in a position to decide what's appropriate or not, except the forum owner. I say just get over it.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I say just get over it.

As long as people are well meaning and respectful, which the majority around here is, overwhelmingly so, then we shouldn't be so exacting of the replies they post. None of us is perfect, and our attention span is bound to falter once in a while, especially over the course of 4 or 5 pages of posts.
It's not like we're being charged by the hour to read these threads.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-26-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post

It's not like we're being charged by the hour to read these threads.
Tell that too my boss.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
There's an inherent problem with the premise here. If we complain about the quality of people's responses to threads, and look for a "solution",
  1. Who sets the standards?
  2. Who enforces the standards?
  3. How are the standards enforced?
Isn't it better just to accept the fact people are gonna post what they post, and go on with life? No one is ever going to post "correctly" all of the time, and I don't think anyone is in a position to decide what's appropriate or not, except the forum owner. I say just get over it.
No need for solutions, standard, or enforcement. Nor is there a need for anyone to "get over it". We can simply communicate with one another. The receiver of the communication/complaint is free to respond or not, take the input to heart or dismiss it, and even decide not to read anything, or only a small fraction of what is posted. Don't make mere communication more complex than it is, nor should respectful communication be construed as a problem.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM

I've been here long enough to know the answer is Yamaha, as good as a MARTIN for a fraction of the price.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Yeah, can you believe the nerve of some folks.

.......Mike
Ignorance or lack of concern about what one is putting into the world doesn't require "nerve". And, in this great country of ours, people are even free to be callous, ignorant, and reactive. They are even entitled to be self-defeating, or to undermine their own happiness. I fully understand that, and most of the time, it doesn't bother me when people misuse or fail to appreciate the true value of freedom.

You are free to mock me. . Even though mocking isnt really very nice.

Last edited by buddyhu; 06-27-2017 at 07:03 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic