The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Default Trying something new (Mandolin)

Today is my 60th birthday. Last week my lovely wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, something special for this milestone year. For years I've talked about wanting to learn mandolin, so I'm taking the plunge. I did a little research and ordered a used Kentucky KM675 mandolin. It seems to fit my wants and needs for the price range I was searching within. It's scheduled for delivery on Monday. I'm really looking forward to it. I've never played a mandolin, but I hope my years of guitar playing will be a benefit in the learning process.

Joe
Old 05-12-2017, 03:21 PM

That's great Joe! It sure can be addictive! Just in case you haven't stumbled across it yet mandolincafe is THE place for all things mandolin related.

Don't be surprised if your mando just laughs at your guitar calluses. The combination of 8 high tension steel strings will act like a chess grater until you build up real mandolin calluses.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:09 PM

My son is a multi instrumentalist. Trumpet and piano are his main instruments but he learned mandolin so he could join in with my playing partner and me. Mandolin makes a great addition to an ensemble.

I second the mandolin cafe recommendation.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 05-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Thanks so much. I signed up today on the mandolin cafe and joined the newbie group. I had used the cafe in my research, as I had read here on AGF about the cafe. You are right. There is a wealth of information there. I can't wait to get started!

Joe
Old 05-13-2017, 09:53 AM

Mandolin is way fun. I bought mine eight years ago and put it in the closet. Tried to sell it with no takers so I started to woodshed. Took a few years to get it right.
Now I can chop the major and minor chords and take decent inventive solos.

I am 61.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Hang at the Mandolin Cafe and one of the first things they will tell you is get a setup done from someone who knows mandolins or do it yourself.

If you flatpick, you will be able to use those skills.

Don't ever try the "it's just an upside down guitar" approach. Heartache and misery going down that road.

It is extremely addictive.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-16-2017, 04:27 PM

I played mandolin a lot but sort of set it aside as I got more into guitar. Had some "found money" so I decided to get a good instrument and get back into it. With a little luck, I'm going to pick up a Collings A style this week.

It is a pretty easy transition, have to get used to the finger position, you almost finger more vertically than horizontally. The good new is it is very easy to find melodies and scales and transpose tunes. Be sure to get a good chord chart as one of the things I really liked about mandolin is you have many available chord voicing up and down the neck. Many options for open or closed chords.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:16 AM
*mahoganut*

I echo the encouraging comments here... a friend gave me a (very cheap) one 2 years ago (when I was 61... must be something about that magical age!), and I just started learning chords and transferring my strumming and fingerstyle techniques to play it as additional "color" in my small church band. And yes, I know there's a lot to learn the "proper" way with a pick, but I'm not there yet.

I did get to play a really good mandolin a few weeks back at La Conner. Maegen Wells (luthier) had one at the show. Wow it was so well set up that it was like a different instrument. Paul Woolson is finishing up one for me right now, and I'm looking forward to it. Can't decide whether to post a thread here or in the Custom Shop - but I will be showing it off!

Enjoy,

Phil
Old 05-26-2017, 07:41 AM

Default Progressing slowly on the mandolin

Thanks for all of the responses. I have decided to get a professional setup done. I looked into doing it myself, and I know that I could do some of the setup work myself (bridge placement & adjustment), but I think it could probably use some work at the nut, which I have no experience with and I think is best left to an experienced professional. There's a shop in town where I work owned and operated by Franklin Linker (Linkerguitars.com). Reading his bio, he did a lot of study under master luthiers and he worked for Collings for 5 years in the build, finish and setup departments. I've contacted him and I'm taking the mandolin to him next week.

Meanwhile, I've been getting in at least a half hour every day on the mandolin, dividing my time between chords (playing along with simple songs) and scales using the FFcP (Four Finger closed Position). Progress is slow, but I am making progress and I am having fun.

Joe
Old 05-26-2017, 07:55 AM

it's a new set of calluses, eh?

Enjoy!

f-d
Old 05-26-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
it's a new set of calluses, eh?
You got that right!

Joe
Old 05-26-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
I did get to play a really good mandolin a few weeks back at La Conner. Maegen Wells (luthier) had one at the show. Wow it was so well set up that it was like a different instrument. Paul Woolson is finishing up one for me right now, and I'm looking forward to it. Can't decide whether to post a thread here or in the Custom Shop - but I will be showing it off!
I'll be looking for those pics (and maybe a recording of what it sounds like).

Joe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments