The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2012, 05:15 PM

What kind of pick do you use?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haans View Post
What kind of pick do you use?

Ah someone gets my humor
Old 01-06-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
The original question was "What strings do you use?" Since then every string ever manufactured has been listed at least once. Where do we go from here?
I thought my reply "All of them..." was pretty succinct. There are only six of them (10 on my 12 string, 8 on my bouzar) and I generally use and abuse each of them at each session...no favoritism here.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Since then every string ever manufactured has been listed at least once.

I wasn't sure where we were headed from the beginning. But you knew that was gonna happen. So which pick do you use?

Jerry
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Guest 235664

I've tried a variety of strings but I usually end up going back to the basic Martin 80/20 Bronze M140 Light Gauge strings. They are bright at first but then mellow nicely. I feel they give me a vintage sound and are easy on the fingers (less tension than PB).
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM

I'm of the opinion that different strings suit different guitars. I used Elixirs PB nano on the McPherson MG3.5 (Engelmann/EIR) and wouldn't use anything on it since it seems to last really long and even after months, still sounds good. Having said that, I only use Martin SP on the H&D CM custom cutaway (Cedar/Mahogany) because it just felt and sounded right so I didn't see the need to try a different brand of strings on this.

Now that both are sold, I used D'addario EXPs, Martin SP Lifespan and Elixirs PB nano on the Collings CJ. I thought the Martin SP gave the warmest vintage 'dry' tone I wanted from the CJ but they JUST DON'T LAST! Dies in a week! Tried Elixirs and though it's very different, enjoying the tone just the same!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:22 AM

Default And finally, my 2 cents

For steel strings, I always went back to plain Martin strings, and usually phosphor bronze. Either the lights or the medium-lights. But! I snared a few of the 80/20 cryogenic sets, and they are phenomenal. Martin no longer makes them, but they are just magic.

I also like John Pearse 80/20 medium-lights, but haven't played them much or often. But I did like them. They lasted way too long!

I loved Adamas 1818 - very underrated and sweet sounding phosphor strings. However, the B is a 15, so I always had to change it to a 16, which I prefer. But the tone was rich and inviting. Highly, highly recommended. Also, the 1414's which are a medium light 80/20 string. Exceptionally good, and worth your buying.

I also like GHS Laurence Juber Signature Bronze New Mediums. Phosphor bronze, cryogenically frozen and a wonderful sound and flexibility. However, the regular GHS strings are no longer worth consideration.

For those who complain of dead strings, or dead sets, consider this: some strings are not well packaged and sit in a warehouse or store for a long time. This just sucks the life out of them. So by the time you get them, they are long gone.

As many know, I have forsaken steel strings for Rohrbacher Titanium strings. They sound wonderful and will last (almost) forever. They will not respond to a magnetic pickup, nor will they withstand many changes of tuning. But if you play in regular tuning, these are the strings to get.

As Paul pointed out earlier, I live on a tropical island, where it is humid all the time. The titanium strings are unaffected by heat, humidity or sweaty hands. They will just last and last. Plus they sound great.

Here I am playing a couple of inexpensive Silver Creek guitars. You can hear the titaniums for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfLAc-vWR14
Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM

I use the 80 / 20 Martin light 12-54 strings on both Alvarez and Yamaha

But use the P/B D'Addario Light 12.53 on the Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo ..
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 AM

I use Elixirs on all my acoustics! Love 'em!

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015
Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 PM

I use Elixir 80/20 Nanoweb Heavy gauge (13-56) on my 12-string.

I think I get a pretty big sound with them.
http://youtu.be/hWVag0T6030
Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM

On few very different guitars I own (owned), always the best were:
- Elixir PB nano lights (if I want coated)
- Martin MSPs PB lights (if I want uncoated)
- very good alternative for Martin MSP are D'Addario EJ16 PB lights
- Elixir PB nano - there is no replacement for them - they are the best
and only alternative between coated strings. Some other really disappointed
me.

Absolutely the best strings: Elixir PB nano because of longevity, clear and full sound, good bass, bright and loud, never had any dead string syndrome, never any string broken, easy under the fingers, good silky feeling for metal strings, no squicks. Beacause of everything, but mostly because of longevity they are the best strings for rosewood Martin if you suffer from so called muddy sound. Put bone saddle and theese strings and you will never hear muddy again.

Martin MSPs - they are in sound very close to Elixir PB nano. But they last very short (week or two), they coloring my fingers (like every other uncoated), and here and there I find dead string syndrome (like every other uncoated strings).

Elixir EJs - I think they last little longer than MSPs and coloring my fingers little later than MSPs, but I prefer the sound of MSPs.

Still experimenting: Elixir 80/20 nano on one of my dreadnought, Elixir medium-lights for more power on one other dreadnought which is intended more for singing with friends.

All other strings: tested almost all I could get and for some longer time testing will not be done here.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Guest 429

Elixir 80/20 Nanoweb lights

Last edited by Guest 429; 03-25-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret Buzz View Post
D'Addario EJ21's (nickle wound jazz light gauge).
I can recommend you the D'addario Pure Nickle strings http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...9&productid=63
Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 AM

Never learn about strings here so best to try all before you settle on one type

of strings you like best.. because everyone sais different
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM

I put some light Poly Web Elixer's on a month ago and really like them (on my Martin 16). Well I like the play-ability of them. Can go crazy all over the neck. But there is no sustain and the attack it not too bright. I see them as a practice string. Those Martin SP's are the best sounding I have heard so far.
I have also noticed the coating is gone on my "g" to low "e" 1st threw 4th fret.
It sounds like I need to check out the NanoWeb next.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion