The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-06-2015, 09:17 AM

Default Stage Monitor with Fishman SA220?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I've recently begun playing out (coffee shops, small events/parties, etc). It's pretty basic stuff - just me playing acoustic guitar and singing. I have found that my ability to hear myself varies depending on the venue. Therefore, I'm thinking that I should get a stage monitor.

Here's my setup: I plug my acoustic guitar into a DI box, and then into a Fishman SA220. My Shure sm58 mic goes into the Fishman SA220 too. Sometimes I can hear my guitar and vocal just fine, and other times I can't hear it very well. I realize that it is probably a result of where the SA220 is placed (usually angled behind me), and sometimes the placement is more conducive to hearing than other times. But since that's a variable that I can't always control, I'd like to be able to fix it. I realize that ideally a stage monitor shouldn't be needed with the SA220, but in my case I think one is needed.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a good quality stage monitor that would make sense with my setup? Ideally something small and easily portable.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

If you are playing venues that are so loud you cannot hear your own SA220, you may be using the wrong amplification system (and I own and love my SA220). However, if you are looking for a good sounding, small monitor, I would recommend the TC Helicon Voice solo FX 150

Demo it at your local GC and I think you will be impressed.

Steve
Old 06-06-2015, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the tip, Steve. That might be more than I would need, in terms of vocal processing features. Does anyone know of something similar that is basically just a monitor? My only goal is to be able to hear the same mix of my vocals and guitar that the audience hears. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:02 AM

I use a Roland CM 30 monitor.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 06-08-2015, 04:11 AM

Thanks Paulin. In looking at that, it doesn't appear to angle upward, towards the singer's head. Has that proven to be an issue?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:59 AM

I have used a Galaxy PA6s. Similar to the FX 150 but no effects just EQ. The Galaxy outperformed the discontinued earlier version of TC Electronics speaker sonically but I don't know about the new TC. Not a great sound but it will get the job done. The Galaxy is pricey but if you want small as possible, it is as good as anything. You do need a mic stand to get the most out of it if you stand since it needs to be fairly close to your head. Even if you sit, a small stand is advisable.

hunter
Old 06-08-2015, 06:45 AM

I use an Alto TSA110. 10" powered speaker that works just fine. Plug it into one of the outs in the back of the SA220. Cheap and effective, sounds good too.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:52 AM

Another vote for the TC voicesolo FX150. I play solo and most of the time do not need a monitor when I do I use this. It doubles up as a great practice PA and also great if there is a house PA. I run my guitar and mic through the voicesolo set everything how I want it then out to the house PA.

For the money it's excellent value whether you would use the vocal processing or not. I always have the vocal tone button on. It subtly cleans up your vocal sound. And the different reverb options are a nice extra touch too

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 06-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

The new Mackie Freeplay is due for release soon. I wonder how good it will be?

http://freeplay.mackie.com

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-08-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:38 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I'll give the TC Helicon a try. Even though it's more than I need, it looks like it will be the best solution. Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 06-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannonmusic View Post
Thanks so much for the advice. I think I'll give the TC Helicon a try. Even though it's more than I need, it looks like it will be the best solution. Thanks again for the feedback!
Please report back after you give it a try, okay? Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification