The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Anyone Tried ToneDexter with iBeam?

I have an iBeam super-glued into my old Martin D28. Unlike other (tape attached) iBeams which I've used, it isn't excessively bassy or feedback prone. I've been wondering how it would do with ToneDexter since its similar to the Pure Mini in many ways. We already know that the Pure Mini is a good match for ToneDexter.

As for the more boomy, tape-attached iBeams, I'm thinking that ToneDexter might remove some or all of that excessive boominess, especially when training with a less bass-prone mic position.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I have an iBeam super-glued into my old Martin D28. Unlike other (tape attached) iBeams which I've used, it isn't excessively bassy or feedback prone. I've been wondering how it would do with ToneDexter since its similar to the Pure Mini in many ways. We already know that the Pure Mini is a good match for ToneDexter.

As for the more boomy, tape-attached iBeams, I'm thinking that ToneDexter might remove some or all of that excessive boominess, especially when training with a less bass-prone mic position.
We tried an iBeam 2 years ago, it worked fine. In our test case, it wasn't very boomy to start with, nor quacky. I wrote "steely" in my notes. But I think you are correct in your assessment of how it would handle boominess.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 11-17-2017, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the iBeam/ToneDexter observation, James.

I look forward to trying ToneDexter with a good variety of pickup/guitar rigs. At this point, the Anthem SL-equipped guitar is the only one which I have little optimism about, due to the Lyric/ToneDexter pairings which I've heard recordings of. The Anthem SL has served me well, but its possible that ToneDexter will convince me to swap out that pickup for something that's more ToneDexter compatible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification