The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2015, 03:42 PM

Default Turn It Around!

Played outdoors in a park last week, where there was a wall behind me. All I took was a single JBL EON 315 (recent MF Stupid Deal of the Day at $199) on a stand, with a mic, my Bose T1 mixer* and a guitar. During set up, I put on some prerecorded music and walked around a bit. The EON 315 had sufficient power for the distance I wanted to cover, but its output was too narrow. People directly in front of it would be fried if I turned it up loud enough for the people out on the sides, and I didn't bring any other speaker.

I moved the EON 315 about three feet out from the wall, turned it to face the wall, cut the bass a little (to effectively boost the treble), and bumped the volume up a notch or two. Voila! That gave me a much wider coverage at a volume I could use. Not a perfect solution, but given the situation, it worked!

cotten

*I used the T1 because I needed inputs for a mic, a guitar, a DVD player for a big TV and an iPhone so we could show and hear missionary messages from remote parts of Africa.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:54 PM

Definitely thinking outside the box and using that wall was very creative. I have done a similar thing when playing indoors and for a large group who were not there to hear every detail of my sound. I laid my Shertler Unico's on the floor and faced them up at the ceiling sitting right next to me with the mic and my guitar. I turned the volume up like you did and had a couple people who know good sound tell me that it sounded much fuller and still clear enough for a live gig at that gathering. I did this for similar reasons that you did what you did. To get a fuller dispersion and a softer impact musically on whoever was right in front of me. Being creative we are.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification