The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Peggio (Fennario) -- Traditional

Hi All,

This was an experiment -- I hope this doesn't end up looking too hokie...

I first heard the song "Peggio" (some people call it "Fennario") in about 1963 from Joan Baez. Later when I got to college I heard Simon & Garfunkel sing their version on their first album, "Wednesday Morning, 3 AM." I have always liked this song, but only learned it in recent years. My version is most like the Simon & Garfunkel version, but not a dead-on copy. I can't sing as high as Art Garfunkel, anyway.

It turns out that this song has fairly deep roots going back to Scotland, where the song was originally called "The Bonnie Lass O' Fyvie." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bo...***_o%27_Fyvie

At home I sing a version to my wife, whose name is Dorothy, but I sing it "Dorfy-o" She always kids me when I finish -- "Yay!!! and the crowd went wild!" she says from the kitchen. Part of the problem with two sets of words is that it's easy for me to cross my mental wires, and so before I started the last verse of this recorded version, I hesitated a little as the "Dorfy-o version crept into my brain.

The experiment here was whether it would work to record a vocal harmony after I got the song recorded. I did that and even recorded my harmony singing on video. So there are two of me in this video, which my wife found a little unsettling.

I hope you enjoy this. I had fun making this. Thanks so much for listening!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 04-09-2017 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-06-2017, 05:51 PM

Wonderful, Glenn......5 stars and kudos on that one. Your wife sounds like an amazing support...and there are times when I hear my own wife passing along those same words from the other room! Funny how that goes........um, this wouldn't happen if I were singing, however!!
Really smooth playing and a very comfortable style on S. C. It goes great with the song.
Thanks for sharing
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-06-2017, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Wonderful, Glenn......5 stars and kudos on that one. Your wife sounds like an amazing support...and there are times when I hear my own wife passing along those same words from the other room! Funny how that goes........um, this wouldn't happen if I were singing, however!!
Really smooth playing and a very comfortable style on S. C. It goes great with the song.
Thanks for sharing
Fred
Thank you Fred!

So nice of you to listen and comment. And yes, my wife couldn't possibly be more supportive. And, she is a joy to hang around with. We celebrate our 47th wedding anniversary in early June.

I'm very glad to hear (or is it read?) that your wife is supportive, too. How cool! It really makes a huge difference! We are very fortunate people!

Thanks again, Fred!

- Glenn
Old 04-06-2017, 07:06 PM

Awesome! You did a great job.
I always liked the song and it's been covered by many.. Including the Grateful Dead.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Awesome! You did a great job.
I always liked the song and it's been covered by many.. Including the Grateful Dead.
Thank you Jake!

Ah yes, I had forgotten about the Grateful Dead and their version of this song!

Cool! Thanks for listening and offering a comment or two!

- Glenn
Old 04-12-2017, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

I love that, Glenn! Excellent. I remember that song... and "Wednesday Morning, 3 AM," was a wonderful album and one you don't hear as much about these days. Seems like Simon's first wife was also named Peggy... he probably liked that tune.

Great song. I thought the harmony worked perfectly. And the SC OM sounds gorgeous. Nice to have a cheering fan section at home. You guys are very lucky!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I love that, Glenn! Excellent. I remember that song... and "Wednesday Morning, 3 AM," was a wonderful album and one you don't hear as much about these days. Seems like Simon's first wife was also named Peggy... he probably liked that tune.

Great song. I thought the harmony worked perfectly. And the SC OM sounds gorgeous. Nice to have a cheering fan section at home. You guys are very lucky!
Thank you for finding the time to listen and comment Kerbie! And how cool that you remember "Wednesday Morning, 3 AM"... Something about that album I really like -- maybe their young voices and the very straightforward presentation on that album.

And about the cheering section at home, yes, I am extremely fortunate.

Thank you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell