The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-26-2017, 09:52 AM
Guest 2143

Default Probably an impossible question to answer

Is there any way to tell what strings I have on my guitar? It is a Cordoba C9 Crossover that I bought used with these strings. I know they come stock with Savarez 500CJ, but I am not sure these are what are on it. They look to me like they could be these strings or many others. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Yes - impossible - although if you have a good micrometer you might get an idea.

I am not familiar with your guitar, but you could look on their website as many brands show the preferred gauge.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
Is there any way to tell what strings I have on my guitar? It is a Cordoba C9 Crossover that I bought used with these strings. I know they come stock with Savarez 500CJ, but I am not sure these are what are on it. They look to me like they could be these strings or many others. Thanks for any help you can provide.
My first thought - ask the person from whom you purchased it.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Savarez Cristal Corum High Tension 500CJ

It IS on their website.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

It IS on their website.
The OP bought the guitar used
Old 01-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Guest 2143

The only clue I have, and it is not a good one, is that the way the strings are tied and tucked behind the bridge is unique and looks the same as the pictures of new Cordoba guitars on the Cordoba website. I know this is little to go on, but it makes me think these could be the original Savarez 500CJ strings.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

READ MY ANSWER ! I've DONE THE WORK FOR YOU.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
READ MY ANSWER ! I've DONE THE WORK FOR YOU.
Mr Moustache, you pointed out the type of strings that are used at the factory. The poster indicated he bought the guitar used - therefore, doesn't really know if it's those strings or if they have been replaced with something else.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Guest 2143

Aside from the unique string work on the bridge that seems Cordobaesque, the guitar seemed to not have been played much at all when I got it. Even the normal swirls on the finish were not to be found. All evidence, admittedly scant, that they are the original strings.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:27 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Someone already said this, but the only way you're going to know for sure (or 'for sure') is by contacting the person from whom you got the guitar. If it's really important to you, that's the only thing that's going to give you anything like a certain answer. The fact that that guitar displays little evidence of use and that the strings are tied in a certain way means very little - the previous owner may simply have copied the original string tie, and they may have been extremely careful with their instruments. If the wound strings show no signs of wear, then they probably haven't been played much. But this really doesn't tell you anything about the guitar itself or the generation of strings you're looking at. What year was the guitar made? What sort of conditions was it kept in since then? Have the strings oxidized at all or are they shiny like right out of the package? All of these very interesting questions still won't tell you if you're looking at the strings that came on the guitar out of the factory. But the previous owner may...
Old 01-26-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:

It IS on their website.
The original post says "It is a Cordoba C9 Crossover that I bought used with these strings. I know they come stock with Savarez 500CJ, but I am not sure these are what are on it."

No need for ALL CAPS.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Steven, I just bought a new Cordoba Fusion M12, and the strings were all double tied and back threaded like you describe. I think you have the originals.

I like the strings a lot for this guitar.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:51 PM

Ummm. Can somebody please post a link to one of these "unique ties" that we're talking about? The bridge ties on the C9 on the Córdoba website (here: https://www.cordobaguitars.com/uploa...9_sp_front.jpg) looks totally normal to me. I'm probably missing something here. But that's exactly what my bridge has always looked like.

This is bothering me more than it should, clearly I'm not getting enough sleep...
Old 01-26-2017, 04:54 PM

I guess everyone here is making a valid point. The best way is to contact the person you bought the guitar from an ask. If he/she says they were never changed, then it's the kind Silly Moustache mentioned. If not, you could only assume they were not changed.

Either way, you should the strings you like. Or buy some different sets (brand, tension...) and try to figure out the one that most resembles the ones on the guitar when you bought it.

Also agree with Dosland when he says the ties look normal.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:25 PM

Fun project.

Maybe start replacing the strings one set at a time until you find the maker/tension level/composite material that feels, sounds and plays the closest to what is on there now. Don't forget to document the sets as you go and also make recordings so as to be able to compare "original" set to set #2 to set #30, etc.

Maybe start with the set you know Córdoba advertises as putting on guitars leaving the factory.

All of the above assumes you like the strings and want to duplicate, as opposed to you dislike the strings and want to get as far away as possible. But the same basic steps can be followed to get away from the current set...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical