The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-13-2017, 01:15 PM

Default Lyric or mini flex

So I'm trying to decide on the baggs lyric or the mini flex mic for my Sofia sc. Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Mini Flex mic

I have no experience with the Baggs Lyric, but it looks to be a very good pickup. I do have experience with the earlier Miniflex Mic made by Ken Donnell, here in the US. It is a good mic, with stereo wiring capability (which I did use). It does need eq, if you have a guitar with a decent amount of bass. It also does have the natural sound of an internal microphone. I don't remember having any issues with feedback, using it plugged directly into a house pa system, or my Fishman Blender dual source preamp.
After posting this... I see that this is a question for classical guitar players. I have no experience with classical guitars. Sorry for my mistake.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 01-15-2017, 06:52 PM

Not sure if you have seen this but here is a review and comparison of both by Mr Mitchell. My personal opinion is that you need to bring it to a very experienced person to have it installed as they would have tried it in many positions. I was very fortunate that I know someone who is very very experienced with these installations especially the Lyric.

Review Lyric vs Mini Flex - He did a part 2 & 3 as he was discussing the challenges that he went through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v18wF1qLn1U&t=4s

If you like to a hear demo that I uploaded with the Lyric. It is just straight into my Audio Interface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkbcDKZYdsE

Let us know what was your final decision and give us your review too.

Best wishes
Kevin Loh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical