The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Spokeshave Advice?

I want to get a spokeshave. I'll use it to carve necks, but for other woodworking too. I have a cheapie and have had enough success with it to make me want a better one. I'm looking at the Moberg, Veritas and Pinnacle.
Can anyone with experience tell me what to look for?

Veritas:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,50230&ap=1

Pinnacle:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/153...FRBYDQodUGQNKA

Moberg:
http://www.mobergtools.com/spokeshave.html
Old 11-26-2016, 09:33 PM

I started out with a cheap Stanley knock-off that has no fine blade depth adjustment. I've tended to mount the blade on an angle so that it cuts deeper one side than the other, as described on the Moberg webpage.

I eventually bought a Veritas that does have a threaded blade depth adjustment. It's fine, works well, though not necessarily any better than the Stanley knock-off I have.

You need to decide the types of geometry for which you want to use the spokeshave. Do you want to predominantly shave flat, or shallow-curved exterior shapes? Then you probably want a flat-bottomed shave. If you are going to be "scooping" interior curves, you'll probably want a curved bottom shave. Shaves can be purchased with curves across the width of the sole and/or along the depth of the sole.

If you are going to shave cylindrical things, like fishing poles or Windsor chair rungs, you probably want a heavily curved concave sole.

If you have a sole curved across the width of the sole (side to side), the blade will also need to follow that curvature. How you are going to sharpen such a blade needs to be considered.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Well that was an eye opener - I had no idea that there were so many (and so expensive!) options for spokeshaves! I hate the heavy inside curve ones - they are a real pita to get really sharp, and they are a pita to use if they aren't. I can understand that these fancy new ones probably have better steel in the blades, but you used to be able to get replacement blades for the old stanleys and record versions fairly easily, and other than polishing the sole, there isn't alot more than that to the old ones. If you choose one of these fancy new ones, I'd be really interested in hearing about it -
Old 11-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
. ...you used to be able to get replacement blades for the old stanleys and record versions fairly easily, and other than polishing the sole, there isn't alot more than that to the old ones. -
I spent some time looking for an old Stanley without much success. Good examples were upward of the cost of one of these new refined ones and cheaper ones were in bad shape. It's also hard to tell which ones are really old and which are the newer, lower qualtity ones.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:34 AM

Just a thought to add - almost any hand tool that you buy today will need some fine tuning. With a spokeshave, that could entail flattening the sole and rounding/polishing the edges. The blades always need a proper sharpening as the machined surface is ok, but not perfect. Look for a thicker blade that is adjustable.

Rick
Old 11-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I'm partial to the HNT Gordon, hand made spokeshaves. I have two curve soled spokeshaves. Very good for neck work, especially in and around the curved area where the neck transitions into the heel. These are not rough out spokeshaves, but more akin to finishing the shape spokeshaves. They take pretty fine shavings, not thick heavy ones.
http://www.hntgordon.com.au/gidgee-spoke-shaves.html
Old 11-27-2016, 10:01 AM

Whenever I go to get a hand tool, I go straight to Lie Nielsen. Finest tools on the planet. They are expensive but they are American made heirloom tools that perform flawlessly.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

There's no doubt that Lie Neilsen tools are some of the best around. I have a few of their planes and they're almost works of art. But,,, they Lie Neilsen doesn't have a spokeshave with the screw adjustments for blade height. Otherwise, they'd be my first stop. That's kind of what led me to the Moberg. It seems to be made with the same attention to detail, but there's not much info about Moberg to be had.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
There's no doubt that Lie Neilsen tools are some of the best around. I have a few of their planes and they're almost works of art. But,,, they Lie Neilsen doesn't have a spokeshave with the screw adjustments for blade height. Otherwise, they'd be my first stop. That's kind of what led me to the Moberg. It seems to be made with the same attention to detail, but there's not much info about Moberg to be had.
"Dave's Shaves" kits get high praise:

http://www.ncworkshops.com/products.html
Old 11-27-2016, 10:20 PM

I still use the first spokeshave I bought about 25 years ago, a cheap German made Kunz No. 51.

I also thought that after having a cheap one for so long that I should 'invest' in a better one so I got an expensive Veritas one which now just sits on a hook never getting any use.

I don't think you need to spend a lot of money on a spokeshave.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 AM

Flea markets are your friend. IMHO, you should not pay more than $20 for an old Stanley 51. That is all I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Stan...oAAOSwA3dYKy2Q

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair