The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-12-2016, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong, Emerald or CA

Looking to buy a new CF, I've owned a Shorty in the past, loved the way it played and felt but wanted a bit fuller sound. Can anyone familiar with the tone of the 3 brands offer a comparison of the tone differences. Not asking for much am I ? LOL Thanks for any help you may offer.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I've owned two from your criteria - the Rainsong Shorty (mine is the APLE model) and the Emerald X20 Artisan. Both are excellent. I still own the APLE because I like the short scale on an OM body but I think the X20 sounded better especially amplified. Since you are looking for a 'fuller' sound, I would suggest the X20 with the longer scale. Although I must admit that the unidirectional weave of my APLE makes this guitar's low end surprisingly robust.

Since you know the Shorty and how it sounds I'd give the X20 a try as long as you like the longer scale. They pop up from time to time in the classifieds here for a decent price.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:23 AM

Have you played a WS model? You already like the Rainsong tone and the NS neck . You can even get a WS in a 12 fret version= all the advantages you had with the Shorty but bigger body.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Have you played a WS model? You already like the Rainsong tone and the NS neck . You can even get a WS in a 12 fret version= all the advantages you had with the Shorty but bigger body.
Agree to the above, I used to own the WS and is a much fuller tone for sure
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 07-13-2016, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, I can check one (WS) out at the local dealer... there's something about the looks of the Emerald that is drawing me that way though.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:25 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for your interest in our guitars! You will get lots of great independent reviews from guitar owners here on AGF. If we can assist you in any way with questions you may have after, give us a shout any time, here or directly via email on [email protected]

Best wishes

Sean @ Emerald Guitars
Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Looking to buy a new CF, I've owned a Shorty in the past, loved the way it played and felt but wanted a bit fuller sound. Can anyone familiar with the tone of the 3 brands offer a comparison of the tone differences. Not asking for much am I ? LOL Thanks for any help you may offer.
Hi John,

I've personally owned a number of examples from all three brands, still own CA's and Rainsongs, and was a dealer for all three brands for years. By far my favorite of the three is Rainsong, and it's the only one of the three I currently deal in, but if CA didn't go under, and changed hands, I would probably still carry that brand, as I do like their guitars as well.

In my experience, CA will have the warmest tone, and it's the one folks not used to CF guitars chose in my shop. However, the warmth is accomplished by building the guitars thicker, so some folks find the tone a little muddy. Rainsong has a brighter tone, with more clarity, and overtones, and by far the most options in body sizes and shapes, as well as material combos. You can get a Rainsong in all hybrid for a more mellow, even "vintage" tone, or all carbon, with standard or unidirectional top, so you have a lot of options.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:28 AM

This is hard because some of the guitars and/or models you are interested in are really hard to get a hold of to play around with before you decide. I absolutely love the Rainsongs and have played several different models when I found them at different shops. I have also played a couple of CAs and I like the Rainsongs better. I currently own a Lucky 13 and a X20 opus and they are the only two acoustics I play regularly anymore though the X20 gets more play. If the right Rainsong came along, I would consider trading my Lucky 13 for it but then probably stay with what I already have. However, I don't think I would ever trade or sell my X20. It's the only guitar I own (of 4 remaining acoustics) that I would be most likely to replace if I lost it somehow.

My X20 has a more complex sound than the Rainsongs that could be interpreted as fuller IMO. The Lucky 13 has a haunting quality about it and I really like the shorter scale, but it's not as versatile as the X20 or as comfortable to play for a long time. The CAs I played left me wanting and the sound felt muffled, where the Rainsongs were all some version of crystal clear and very precise feeling. I think you would probably do well with any of the three, but if I was on a hunt right now it would probably be a Rainsong since I already have an X20.

Happy hunting.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 07-15-2016, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Ted and Tom, Very helpful info, Tom, may I ask what your style of playing is? I am mainly a strummer, but still practicing my finger style.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:44 PM

Both. Probably 60% strumming.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 PM

I have used a plectrum on the L13, but not too much. The X20 is great for strumming and finger style too IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber