The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm with Evan; RainSong. Call Ted at LA Guitar and tell him what you're looking for, and he'll help you zero in on the best model. I'm not thinking it's going to be any cheaper, or not by much anyway, than an Emerald.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-08-2016, 08:15 PM

+1 for Rainsong too.

I started a search for a search for a more durable axe after I caught my youngest trying to pull some of the wood appointments off the top of my Ovation mandolin one day. I decided I needed something tougher than him. About a year later I dropped Alistair a line starting a string of emailed conversations and about 6 months later I had an X20 Opus in hand.

So my first time playing any CF was when I opened that banged up box from Ireland.

I then took a road trip to a couple of stores and tried Rainsong and Composite Acoustics. Loved the ring of the Rainsongs I played and was very impressed with the Cargo. I ended up ordering a second CF (Lucky 13) and haven't felt the need to get another acoustic since. I did eventually go by the factory in San Francisco to check out their selection and fell in love with their uke too but don't need one as I already had an Ovation-like Applause uke and now also a really nice Pono bari uke.

The L13 has haunting tones, is fun to play and I love it to death, but I find that I play the X20 more than anything else because it's so versatile and just so darn comfortable to play.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 07-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Guest 928

One of the nice things about Rainsong is that while its guitars are not cheap, they are in production and used instruments can be found at reasonable prices. Furthermore, the drop in price from new to used seems only to touch the first owner--so buying a used one is not likely to result in much loss if resold.

With that said, there's nothing quite like being the first owner of a new guitar.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Today I hooked up with a bunch of other AGF members. Some nice guitars. Barb1 brought a Lucky 13. I might have to rethink the CA purchase.

I was very impressed with the sound, playability and volume.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-09-2016, 10:40 PM

FWIW I already have a Rainsong WS-1000 and still want a Lucky 13. Just one more guitar to sell and I can place the order.....
Old 07-11-2016, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

My first CF guitar, I bought the Rainsong CO-WS1000N2 without trying. I was blown away how good it was after receiving it.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 07-22-2016, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

In terms of CF, I did not have dealers near me so I ended up just purchasing a number of them including 3 CA Cargos, 2 Rainsong (classical, jumbo and maybe the WS1000), CA GXI, a couple or three CA Oxs. (Don't remember exactly as these were over a number of years. None were purchased to return to dealers - kept them all.) I picked among all these over time and now down to one CA OX that I feel has the best tone of the entire stable among my CFs. I was blessed to be able to find them at great prices so no loss when I resold. The remarkable thing was that the CF guitars of the same model also varied in tone as much as wooden guitars of the same model. The current OX I have has the fullest and most complete tone and still maintain the CF advantages.

That said, I'm quite interested in the Rainsong Concert series with the short scale and offset sound hole. If only I can find one at a great price - would be worth pursuing.

Last edited by PTL; 07-22-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Guest 928

PTL:

I do not hang on to steel string guitars, but I dart in and grab one once in a while and I agree with your assessment of the Ox. I place the Ox and the Emerald X10 as two of the best CF guitars by virtue of comfort, playability, tone, and projection.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

EvanB, interesting. I had no idea that anyone else thought the OX is better than their higher priced brethrens. All I know that I picked on tone and my friends whom I did not divulge prices to also picked that OX also as their preference. I'm now wondering about making a 1" side port though I don't quite have the guts to do so. I had talked to the CA people (before they went out of business and/or sold to Peavey) and they were supposedly considering it for a bit. I had ordered this OX from CA directly through a dealer and left the electronics out but could never have the CA people do that side port....

OK, I'm going OT. Back to topic.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
EvanB, interesting. I had no idea that anyone else thought the OX is better than their higher priced brethrens. All I know that I picked on tone and my friends whom I did not divulge prices to also picked that OX also as their preference. I'm now wondering about making a 1" side port though I don't quite have the guts to do so. I had talked to the CA people (before they went out of business and/or sold to Peavey) and they were supposedly considering it for a bit. I had ordered this OX from CA directly through a dealer and left the electronics out but could never have the CA people do that side port....

OK, I'm going OT. Back to topic.
Drilling a 1" hole on the side upper bout should be real easy, and it should also be easy to find a 1" rubber O ring slotted around the ring to fit nicely. Go for it...ya know ya waaana!
Old 07-22-2016, 05:45 PM

I tend to agree - drilling out a small sound hole in CF, and ringing it with a nice grommet, shouldn't harm anything. What fun!

Getting back on-topic, the story of my conversion to Carbon Fiber is pretty typical. I never played one before buying. Rather, the folks here and at the now-discontinued other CF forum impressed me with their intellect, good manners, and sound judgment. No pun intended. Online demos helped too. I needed a guitar that could handle going outside and back constantly (my wife banishes me from the kitchen while she is cooking). CF is rugged, impervious to temp/humidity swings, can sit on the stand ready to play at any moment, and I like the clarity of sound.

I bought all of my CF guitars used: a RS Parlor, RS Shorty, and the brilliant, incredible CA Blade (electric archtop guitar). Guess you could say I reaped the benefit of someone else's decision to sell.

We need more folks like Evan, willing to buy and try, then sell and try again. Hat's off to him and his ilk.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Guest 928

Jeez Res, all shucks and modesty.

And thank you. Cf guitars are just about my only hobby and I have invested with no thought of return--other than some advancement in luthery. I think everyone on this forum is a first scout, checking out new territory. I've enjoyed every minute, every guitar.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:58 PM

Glad to help! Just hoping I might get a chance to buy your RS Parlor Nylon, if and when you ever part with it

You are right. We're on the cusp of great innovations in Luthery. Riding the wave is exciting stuff!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Well after a couple of weeks of some limited testing I wound up with a Lucky 13.
I tried the CA Cargo, Lagacy and GX, as well as a Rainsong parlor, and a McPherson. I was about to get the GX but was fortunate to be able to try the Lucky 13 Before I made the GX purchase. The Lucky 13 just hunted me for a few days until I found one local at a good price. Here is the NGD post.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=437182
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Well after a couple of weeks of some limited testing I wound up with a Lucky 13.
I tried the CA Cargo, Lagacy and GX, as well as a Rainsong parlor, and a McPherson. I was about to get the GX but was fortunate to be able to try the Lucky 13 Before I made the GX purchase. The Lucky 13 just hunted me for a few days until I found one local at a good price. Here is the NGD post.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=437182

What was it about the Lucky 13? And did you try their OM along with the Lucky 13? Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber