The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-18-2016, 12:12 PM

Default Opinions on Multi-Piece Uke Fretboard

I'm making a maple fretboard for a uke project.

I created two blanks, one just a solid maple blank at 6 mm thick and 50 mm wide.

For the second I cut three strips a tad over 2 mm wide, flipped the center strip over, and edge glued the three strips to make a blank that is 6 mm thick and about 65 mm wide.

My end goal is a flat fretboard, 37 mm at the nut, widening to 49 mm.

My thought is that if the fretboard ever feels the inclination to bow from end to end, the alternating grain of the multipart board will add stability in that dimension.

As you might guess, this is my first foray into crafting my own fretboard, so I'm experimenting with different ideas. Since there's no truss rod in the uke like there would be in a guitar, is the potential bowing of the fretboard ever a concern?

Would love to hear any and all thoughts, opinions and advice.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

You don't mention what size uke you're building, but since you asked for opinions, here's mine.....

I've never heard of a uke neck bowing. I'm not saying it never happens, but I think it's pretty rare as long as normal strings under normal tension are used. And if the neck bows, the fretboard is pretty much just along for the ride anyway. As goes the neck, so goes the fretboard. So, bottom line, I don't see why your idea wouldn't work just fine.

But....my opinion is based on nothing but my own common sense, such as it is.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the input. Pretty much what I was thinking too, but figured it never hurts to see what people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
You don't mention what size uke you're building.....
Sorry 'bout that. It's a concert uke - actually a resto-mod on an instrument I picked up at the Rose Bowl flea market last week.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Opinions on Multi-Piece Uke Fretboard

Cool. I too enjoy little projects like the one you're doing.

Shoot us a photo when you've finished.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments