The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Soundcloud quality - or lack thereof...

I've posted a few things on Soundcloud using the absolute easiest method available to me - record to my Android phone using preferred app, then use that app's 'share' function to upload to Soundcloud. It works fine from a simplicity standpoint but the problem is the sound quality is pretty awful

Now before you lose your collective minds, I fully understand that I'm starting with just about the lowest quality source to begin with. That said, when I play back what I've recorded on the Android phone, while far from being hi fidelity, it still sounds decent and I can pick out nuances. But once I upload to Soundcloud and play back, what little quality I did have on the phone recording is now just awful.

So, apparently something is lost in translation during the share/upload process. Some sort of compression or conversion is causing me to lose what little fidelity I had. Is there a way to counter this without the immediate need to invest money and time in really nice recording gear? I've heard some pretty nice recordings on Soundcloud by people here. Is it just a matter of starting with a really great recording or is there some settings in Soundcloud that will help?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:33 PM

if you upload as a wav, then play it back, it will be mp3. if you download it from soundcloud, it will be a wav.
also check your settings on your phone as you may be able to record in a higher quality mode.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-27-2016, 01:34 PM

upload redbook standard wav files.

then, when soundcloud applies it's encoder,
you'll be starting with a higher quality, which should encode better.

don't overcompress anything, it will sound even worse after encoding.

if you make the file 'downloadable', it will download the same as you uploaded.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:56 AM

Yes to all ^^^^ If you upload an already-compressed file (MP3), it'll go through the SC compression and really screw things up.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

It was wav files that I uploaded. I guess I just need to invest in some decent recording equipment and start with a higher quality source.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2016, 09:02 AM

If you have a lot of compression/limiting on your master track, it can get screwed up by the SC compression, too.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-01-2016, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I've posted a few things on Soundcloud using the absolute easiest method available to me - record to my Android phone using preferred app, then use that app's 'share' function to upload to Soundcloud. It works fine from a simplicity standpoint but the problem is the sound quality is pretty awful

Now before you lose your collective minds, I fully understand that I'm starting with just about the lowest quality source to begin with. That said, when I play back what I've recorded on the Android phone, while far from being hi fidelity, it still sounds decent and I can pick out nuances. But once I upload to Soundcloud and play back, what little quality I did have on the phone recording is now just awful.

So, apparently something is lost in translation during the share/upload process. Some sort of compression or conversion is causing me to lose what little fidelity I had. Is there a way to counter this without the immediate need to invest money and time in really nice recording gear? I've heard some pretty nice recordings on Soundcloud by people here. Is it just a matter of starting with a really great recording or is there some settings in Soundcloud that will help?

Thanks for any advice.
There are a number of things that are not clear in the above statement .
You using the phones mic yes?

What actual recording app are you using?

When you say you are recording a WAV file what sample and bit rate?

When you say "share function" are you using specifically a share to "SoundCloud" option found on a number of recording apps ?

If so, are you certain that "share to Soundcloud" option is not converting the original WAV to MP3 ?

When you say listen back from SoundCloud are you talking about listing to a download from Soundcloud (i.e. the original upload format) or are you listening to a the SoundCloud "streaming" function (which SoundCloud compresses to 128 bit MP3)

Also when you are listening to the original recording on you phone how are you listening.. phone built in speaker , ear buds or HP's ?
And you are of course listening to the Sound cloud version on the exact same item yes ?

In Very general terms.
As for translation, yes particularly when ever a file is compressed something is always lost. ( the question is how much and how detectable )

Yes: in general, the better the source material and equipment the better the sound.

But that could be the problem but it also may not depending on the answers to the above .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Great questions, KevWind! See answers below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
There are a number of things that are not clear in the above statement .

You using the phones mic yes?
Using the phones mic, yes.

Quote:
What actual recording app are you using?
I use an app called Tape Machine.

Quote:
When you say you are recording a WAV file what sample and bit rate?
I am not sure but I will say that for WAV, FLACC, AIFF modes there is no selectable bit rate. For OGG I can select many different bit rates up to 239. I did experiment with this a little and found I can get a slightly better quality recording using the highest bit rate with OGG.

Quote:
When you say "share function" are you using specifically a share to "SoundCloud" option found on a number of recording apps?
Yes, using the app's share function straight from the app.

Quote:
If so, are you certain that "share to Soundcloud" option is not converting the original WAV to MP3?
While I can't be sure, I doubt it for two reasons - MP3 does not work on this app because of a missing CODEC that I can't seem to find. And second because my files on Soundcloud are all WAV files. Would the app and/or Soundcloud convert to MP3 and the convert back to WAV?

Quote:
When you say listen back from SoundCloud are you talking about listing to a download from Soundcloud (i.e. the original upload format) or are you listening to a the SoundCloud "streaming" function (which SoundCloud compresses to 128 bit MP3)
Listening to the stream - and here might be where I'm losing quality based on your comments above.

Quote:
Also when you are listening to the original recording on you phone how are you listening.. phone built in speaker , ear buds or HP's?

And you are of course listening to the Sound cloud version on the exact same item yes ?
For the purposes of this testing I was listening to both on my Bose QC2 headphones.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Great questions, KevWind! See answers below...

Using the phones mic, yes.

I use an app called Tape Machine.

I am not sure but I will say that for WAV, FLACC, AIFF modes there is no selectable bit rate. For OGG I can select many different bit rates up to 239. I did experiment with this a little and found I can get a slightly better quality recording using the highest bit rate with OGG.

Yes, using the app's share function straight from the app.

While I can't be sure, I doubt it for two reasons - MP3 does not work on this app because of a missing CODEC that I can't seem to find. And second because my files on Soundcloud are all WAV files. Would the app and/or Soundcloud convert to MP3 and the convert back to WAV?

Listening to the stream - and here might be where I'm losing quality based on your comments above.

For the purposes of this testing I was listening to both on my Bose QC2 headphones.
OK that clears it up nicely.

So with that in mind then

Yes the difference and loss from original WAV to the SpondCloud stream could be one or a combination of the fact that SoundCloud compresses the file to 128 bit MP3 for streaming. And or the phone mic , playback sound card, A/D and D/A, is reproducing limited fidelity and clarity to begin with, that could be getting exaggerated when compressed.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD