The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-14-2009, 03:28 PM

Default Right Hand Technique

I'm working on Pachelbel's Canon in D right now and I'm playing it with the thumb taking care of the 3 bottom and 3 fingers taking care of the others. This seems to work out alright except for the fact that my thumb has a tendency to bump the 5th string while it's ringing when it goes to play the 4th. This is bad cuz I want to that bass to ring out as long as possible. Now with concentration I keep the bumping from happening. I was wondering though would it just be better to move my whole right hand position up to play these parts a la classical technique? Or would that mess me up in the long run?

Sorry for the long winded question and hope it makes sense.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Probably (don't know the exact arrangement you have) keep using the thumb for the bottom three strings in cases where one of those strings is played on the first or third beat in the measure as that will help with a more even sound. On an off beat you can substitute your index for the thumb on one of the lower strings (probably for this piece just talking about the fourth string, say in an arpeggio). This and a wee bit longer thumbnail may help you avoid bumping adjacent strings

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 PM
The Foreigner

Can you show us the arrangement?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
I'm working on Pachelbel's Canon in D right now and I'm playing it with the thumb taking care of the 3 bottom and 3 fingers taking care of the others. This seems to work out alright except for the fact that my thumb has a tendency to bump the 5th string while it's ringing when it goes to play the 4th. This is bad cuz I want to that bass to ring out as long as possible. Now with concentration I keep the bumping from happening. I was wondering though would it just be better to move my whole right hand position up to play these parts a la classical technique? Or would that mess me up in the long run?

Sorry for the long winded question and hope it makes sense.
Why would you want the 5th string (usually played open in that piece, i.e., an "A" note) to keep ringing when you play the open 4th string (a "D" note)? Consider stopping the 5th string from ringing at the same time you play the open D.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Why would you want the 5th string (usually played open in that piece, i.e., an "A" note) to keep ringing when you play the open 4th string (a "D" note)? Consider stopping the 5th string from ringing at the same time you play the open D.
Steve, there are several places in the tune (at least the version I am looking at) where you are going from fifth to fourth on non open strings and you do want the fifth string to keep ringing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 PM

Hey guys,

Sorry, I should have gave you a link to the arrangement. Ever heard of Jawmunji? Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jawmunji...23/I4Sh9cKEDH0

Rick, I think I'll probably keep doing what you suggested. My thumb is accustomed to that work anyway. Why change it?

MMM, you play much classical stuff?

Steve, Rick is correct about the reason for the ringing
Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Steve, there are several places in the tune (at least the version I am looking at) where you are going from fifth to fourth on non open strings and you do want the fifth string to keep ringing.
Of course there are, but I'm speaking of when that doesn't happen. In Pacabel's Cannon, going from the open 5th to open 4th string is at the cadence V - I. Having the 5th (no pun intended) ring over the tonic at the beginning of a new variation is poor articulation and undesired harmony (5th in the bass).

Learning how to stop the 5th string from ringing at the precise time you are playing the 4th string is difficult. Once learned, you have (more or less) also learned how not to stop the 5th string from ringing (at least as far as right hand chops go).
Old 09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
MMM, you play much classical stuff?
Not really, but I do study some classical techniques (on my own) and transcribe some classical pieces that I particularly like. I'm working on Douglas Niedt's arrangement of Cavatina, for example, which I think I shared with you previously (?)

I'm going off to work soon so I'll check out the Canon video later, if others haven't done so already
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Now with concentration I keep the bumping from happening....
Hi Fs...
As a teacher I'd recommend you concentrate till it's second nature rather than learning an entirely different discipline...both are learning and I bet you will be able to overcome that incidental muting pretty quickly...far quicker than repositioning the body of the guitar and your right hand at a completely new angle.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I agree with LJ, but you may want to just start practicing a bit with your guitar on your left knee instead of your right (I'm assuming you are a righty). Footstools are great too and are very cheap ($10 or so). Having the guitar on my left knee helps a great deal (for me) to play the upper frets and helps my right hand get a decent angle of attack for my fingerpicking.

Bottom line - classical position is better for me, but may not be for you. Don't try to put a square peg in a round hole if you can help it.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 AM

Fingerstylist,

If it were me, I wouldn't change the "attitude" (position) of your playing because it's likely already comfortable for you.

Rather, s-l-oooo-w down your practicing enough until you solve this trouble in the way that it will give you feel of the piece.

I hope this helps. I'm a rookie and it's rookie advice but I find it helps my efforts/troubles.

And when you do slow down at first, go even slower! And for some time.

I have trouble with this so don't expect it to be comfy in the beginning.

Good luck,

Jeremy.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Hi Fs...
I just want to be clear that to me it sounds like a technique issue not a posture one, and I wouldn't recommend you change anything but perfect your technique.

If you can play it correctly when concentrating, it's just a matter of working it into your hand/brain, not altering your technique. Thumb/finger independence is a technique that fingerstylists face in several forms, and it sounds like you are conquering this aspect of it...good luck and keep us posted.

There really is no shortcut, just needs time & muscle-memory development to work it in...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM

TBman,

I currently play the guitar in classical position. At this point, I can't imagine doing it the traditional way.

LJ and Jeremy,

I agree with you and will just keep plugging away at what I'm doing. Maybe one day these hands won't be so clumsy
Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was wondering though would it just be better to move my whole right hand position up to play these parts a la classical technique?
Ok, I'm confused.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Ok, I'm confused.
Hey Barry,

What I mean is instead of playing the 5th and 4th string with my thumb, I use my thumb on the 5th and index on the 4th. Classical guys do this correct? I use a more traditional fingerstyle approach. Thumb takes care of the 3 bass strings ALWAYS.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write