The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 AM

Default Rookie Problem

I'm new at this, and I keep making the same mistake, I keep hitting two strings at once up the neck of the guitar.

I'm self-taught... well, self-teaching, so i don't know if this is just a newbie thing that has to be un-taught or am I actually doing something wrong?

Has anybody here had the same problem?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:37 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensmat View Post
I'm new at this, and I keep making the same mistake, I keep hitting two strings at once up the neck of the guitar.
What do you mean by that?

You sure you're not playing a 12-string?
(JK!! )
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-11-2009, 02:13 AM

I mean, that when holding (For example), the second fret on the D string, I'm usually touching either the A or G string too, accidentally, with the same finger. I don't mean to, and I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem as I have about ten minutes experience in playing.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:25 AM

Are you using the tip of your finger? Sounds like you may be using the whole pad.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:42 AM
I never finish anythi

I know this isn't much help. But it is just practice!

Slow down whatever your playing until you think you are going too slow - then go a bit slower. It is better to play in relative time, slowly and correctly, than at actual speed out of time and incorrectly.

the precision you need to hit one string at a time will develop with practice.

Martin 000c16GTE
Avalon Gold series S200
Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
I mean, that when holding (For example), the second fret on the D string, I'm usually touching either the A or G string too, accidentally, with the same finger. I don't mean to, and I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem as I have about ten minutes experience in playing.
ahhh, I was confused because you said "up the neck", which I think most people take to mean "higher frets"

As others have said here practice is key. But, if you have unusually large finger pads/tips, you might want to consider a guitar with a wider fretboard as well. For example, I have relatively small Asian hands, but to me, any neck narrower than 1 3/4" at the nut is too cramped for my playing style.

(caveat: string spacing at the saddle affects this too)
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 AM
happiness

As others have said, it's a matter of practice. This is a common beginner problem which will get better as your accuracy improves. Make sure you're using the tip of your finger, and practice slowly, to give yourself time to get your finger into the right position.

Fliss
Old 09-11-2009, 05:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Stephen,
10 minutes experience playing, huh?

If it is still happening in 10 months it might still not be a real problem.

Guitar takes a long time to master, despite the internet and all it's abundant resources.

The good news, actually, is that you realize that it is happening, and you recognize it because you hear it, feel it, and see it.

Keep practicing.

HE
http://www.howardemerson.com/
Old 09-11-2009, 05:31 AM

Ideally, your fingers should be arched so that the very tippy-tip presses vertically down onto the string you want right up against the fret you want. So your first knuckle is stacked right above the place where your finger is on the string.

This requires short left-hand fingernails (otherwise you'll hit the fretboard with your nails and not the tip of the finger) and a correct position of your thumb and your palm and even your elbow and forearm. And depending on the particular string and fret you're playing, you will almost always be slightly "off" from vertical. Sometimes even reaching way across to the bottom strings you'll just be using the flat part of your finger and not the tip at all (this will generally mean you also damp the next string over but sometimes that's not a problem).

I'd suggest starting with single notes on the top two strings, using this "ideal" position just to find how to arrange your arm and hand to make this possible. Then as you deviate from the "ideal" at least you know what to move back towards when you have the problem you're decribing.

Do not get in the habit of laying the flat of your fingers across the strings all the time, even when you don't have to. That makes it hard not to play sloppy.

Can someone (mmmaak?) find and post a picture of a good left-hand position with arched fingers, I do not have time right now...
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 09-11-2009, 05:47 AM

Look at your hand position. When I first learnt to play I intentionally exagerated my hand position when playing chords so I could get used to playing it properly and get the right sounds. As I got better I started to relax my hand knowing I was automatically using the right part of my fingertips.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:11 AM

Maybe this will help:

http://www.learnclassicalguitar.com/...technique.html

Last edited by jpq; 09-11-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:35 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Can someone (mmmaak?) find and post a picture of a good left-hand position with arched fingers, I do not have time right now...
Well, I'm not going to say that these photos (of my own hand) show the "right" way, but it certainly works for me

(this is a "half" Fmaj, by the way)

Transcriptions

Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpq View Post
Images from that site:

I play fingerstyle with a lot of partial cords and open strings (think of the Beatles' Blackbird) and therefore cannot have my lefthand fingers unintentionally muting adjacent strings.

It's a pain to learn and tough to develop the discipline to not be a "thumb slouch" but it's well worth it.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordCentury View Post
It's a pain to learn and tough to develop the discipline to not be a "thumb slouch" but it's well worth it.
What's a "thumb slouch"?
Transcriptions

Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
What's a "thumb slouch"?
Just a well-established technique term that I made up a few minutes ago.

The photo showing proper thumb placement from the rear neck view is very unnatural feeling for a beginner. I remember trying to keep my thumb more or less perpindicular to the neck. Tough for me.

Kinda-sorta like standing perfectly erect whilst at attention. The tendency is to slouch. Which is where discipline comes in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write