The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Cargo popularity

As I am pondering the need for a Composite Acoustic Cargo because the For Sale postings here tempt me, I had a thought...
  • There is nothing but rave reviews and demand for the Cargo.
  • They are relatively new.
  • They fit an exact need so I imagine most people don't have a "redundant" guitar.

So then why are there so many Cargo's for sale? (in relation to the population and that I only know of them just in this forum so who knows how many more are up for sale elsewhere).
  • Is it b/c of upgrading to a larger Composite Acoustic?
  • Is it a sign of the times and people need to sell their favorite belonging for money?
  • Is it that the coolness factor wears off after awhile on these?
  • Is it that the travel guitar market is catching up and there are other alternatives now that people are trying?

Just curious to hear from everyone...
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 10-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Howdy Works...speaking for myself...I just sold my Cargo after having it since March as my only guitar. I gigged with it sometimes 3 times a week all summer. It is the most impressive little guitar I have ever owned. Then one day I saw a picture of Jim Cannons 7iM-CE in the Tobacco Burst and I decided that since I liked the Cargo so much I'd have to try the bigger 7i. Jim and I struck a deal and I've been playing the 7i this last month. Crazy as it might sound on this forum, I can only play and only need one guitar at a time and I am very happy with the 7i so for that reason and obvious recent financial considerations I decided to pass the Cargo on. I can't believe anyone would sell one because they didn't like it. It's usually they are upgrading with another CA I would imagine. My 2 cents.

Jim
Old 10-09-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant View Post
Howdy Works...speaking for myself...I just sold my Cargo after having it since March as my only guitar. I gigged with it sometimes 3 times a week all summer. It is the most impressive little guitar I have ever owned. Then one day I saw a picture of Jim Cannons 7iM-CE in the Tobacco Burst and I decided that since I liked the Cargo so much I'd have to try the bigger 7i. Jim and I struck a deal and I've been playing the 7i this last month. Crazy as it might sound on this forum, I can only play and only need one guitar at a time and I am very happy with the 7i so for that reason and obvious recent financial considerations I decided to pass the Cargo on. I can't believe anyone would sell one because they didn't like it. It's usually they are upgrading with another CA I would imagine. My 2 cents.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I saw that guitar too and wow... if I had the money I would love one of those but I love my new baby daughter of 3 mos old too much to let her go without diapers, food, and all the ridiculously money-making things that the baby industry tells your wife she needs. ;-)
99 Guild F47CE (Westerly) | 02 Martin SPJC-16R | 03 Martin DC-16RGTE | 03 Martin MC-16GTE | 05 Seagull MJM6 w/ QII Cedar/Mahogany BS | 01 Washburn EA20SDL | 02 Guild JF-30 Sunburst | 00 Taylor LOTF 410MACE | 02 Tacoma JF21 | 08 CA 7M-CE (GX)
Old 10-09-2008, 02:47 PM

I played a Cargo recently and was very impressed with it. I think its a cool guitar.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:54 PM

I have one and to me it's a luxury item. You don't "need" one but it's sure comes in handy for its portability and durability. It's a good guitar to leave out around the house without worry. The guitar is IMO quiet but the tone is that of high end guitars. Why people sell them? 1) as mentioned, not everybody needs one 2) it's quite costly for a travel guitar and resale value right now is high 3) not everyone likes the short scale length 4) it lacks volume 5) since it's usually a second guitar, it doesn't get played much. Aside from the fact that some people sell them because they're short on cash - these are the main reasons why I think they sell it.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:08 PM
some guy from NY

don't have a cargo. but do have a carbon guitar (Rainsong JM-1000) ... since June of this year. Absolutely love it. Love the tone. Love the ruggedness of carbon. I take it where I can... just sling it across my back and go. Sand, woods, hotels, parks, work, wherever. Always in tune regardless of temperature and humidity. Bump it now and then. So what. Still love wood but carbon has a place in my acoustic heart now too.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with owners not liking/loving it. Most of the Cargo classifieds I've read suggest it's because the owner is changing to a full-size CA or changing color.

As for me, I have a Cargo, love it and can't see ever selling it. I have a GXi high-gloss tobacco burst (exactly like jbryant's) on order. I got word from the dealer yesterday that he has it, but he sent me pics indicating there are a few minor blemishes. I've declined the guitar and will get the next one, but it's now looking like December before I'll get it. I'm very anxious, but I don't mind. I'm thankful I can afford to keep both the Cargo and GXi.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

I have a Cargo and love it, but think of selling it from time to time because I don't really need it for travel. It sounds great, but not like my Goodall or Collings, which I play most of the time. I tend to play it while sitting on the couch watching TV.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I have a Cargo and love it, but think of selling it from time to time because I don't really need it for travel. It sounds great, but not like my Goodall or Collings, which I play most of the time. I tend to play it while sitting on the couch watching TV.
Speaking of which, I'd like to hear from those who have played both a CA (G)X(i) and a "low-end" Goodall (like Aloha, per se) and get their views on which ones they prefer...
Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I have a Cargo and love it...It sounds great, but not like my Goodall or Collings, which I play most of the time. I tend to play it while sitting on the couch watching TV.
Of course not. The Cargo is not intended to compete with full-size high-end acoustics. Nor does it sound as good as my Taylor 814c. But it's not that far off and guess what I play more? For what it is, the Cargo is one fantastic guitar and worth every penny!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
Speaking of which, I'd like to hear from those who have played both a CA (G)X(i) and a "low-end" Goodall (like Aloha, per se) and get their views on which ones they prefer...
I'll like to hear about this also!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksInTheory View Post
As I am pondering the need for a Composite Acoustic Cargo because the For Sale postings here tempt me, I had a thought...
  • There is nothing but rave reviews and demand for the Cargo.
  • They are relatively new.
  • They fit an exact need so I imagine most people don't have a "redundant" guitar.

So then why are there so many Cargo's for sale? (in relation to the population and that I only know of them just in this forum so who knows how many more are up for sale elsewhere).
  • Is it b/c of upgrading to a larger Composite Acoustic?
  • Is it a sign of the times and people need to sell their favorite belonging for money?
  • Is it that the coolness factor wears off after awhile on these?
  • Is it that the travel guitar market is catching up and there are other alternatives now that people are trying?

Just curious to hear from everyone...
heres what i found out. real nice sound, but doesn't sound quite the same as a wood guitar.
short scale, not really into short scales
3 figured a 100 more i can get a new ga3.

now am a proud owner of a new ga3. blows the doors off the cargo. but for a travel guitar cargo is perfect
Old 10-10-2008, 06:29 AM

I don't think the Cargo will compete sound wise with a full size Goodall, Collings, etc. but like someone said earlier...it's not far off. I also feel like another poster that it is sort of a luxury, especially when you have other guitars. That was true in my case.

Tommy...man I'm sorry to hear that your new guitar had blemishes! I know you've been patiently waiting for a long time. Hopefully it will be worth the wait for the new one.

Jim
Old 10-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant View Post
Tommy...man I'm sorry to hear that your new guitar had blemishes! I know you've been patiently waiting for a long time. Hopefully it will be worth the wait for the new one.

Jim
Yeah Jim, kind of a bummer, but since I've literally been waiting since April, I've become conditioned to it, so I can survive another couple of months. The blemishes were very minor, but I know if I was seeing it in a store, I wouldn't buy it. I'm most pleased that Mike at McNichols provided pics and explanation to offer me the option (great guy to deal with, folks!). Some dealers would've just shipped it. When I say waiting since April, originally I wanted a carbon burst finish but CA dropped it due the the integrated bracing showing through the top and CA advised me they were working on a solution. However, when Jim Cannon received his tobacco burst (now yours), that was it. THAT finish is the one for me (as it is for you)!

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-10-2008 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:39 AM

I vote best in class for a travel guitar! Best in show goes to.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber