The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-03-2016, 10:52 AM

Default Ovation repair...

Ok, so this is my very first guitar- an Ovation Matrix. I purchased it in '78, tried playing on and off for several years, but, mostly, it went unplayed. A few years back, I took it out and noticed that the bridge was lifting. The top has become a bit convex as a result. I took it to a luthier who thought he could fix it, but also assured me that the bridge wouldn't rip completely off because it's bolted on. The cost was prohibitive and I decided to just leave it. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse. The guitar still sounds pretty good and stays in fairly good tune.

Here's the thing: I really don't play it and I feel bad that my first guitar remains in this injured state. My options are to throw it in the trash, (too cruel), have it repaired, (too costly and no guarantees), or give it to someone who has some interest and experience with fixer-uppers and might take on the challenge and lovingly restore it.

I realize this is not a valuable instrument that needs to be restored to its original greatness, but I can't just toss it. I'm not sure what to do with it. Any thoughts..?

-Warren
My Website
Old 12-04-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbles View Post
Ok, so this is my very first guitar- an Ovation Matrix. I purchased it in '78, tried playing on and off for several years, but, mostly, it went unplayed. A few years back, I took it out and noticed that the bridge was lifting. The top has become a bit convex as a result. I took it to a luthier who thought he could fix it, but also assured me that the bridge wouldn't rip completely off because it's bolted on. The cost was prohibitive and I decided to just leave it. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse. The guitar still sounds pretty good and stays in fairly good tune.

Here's the thing: I really don't play it and I feel bad that my first guitar remains in this injured state. My options are to throw it in the trash, (too cruel), have it repaired, (too costly and no guarantees), or give it to someone who has some interest and experience with fixer-uppers and might take on the challenge and lovingly restore it.

I realize this is not a valuable instrument that needs to be restored to its original greatness, but I can't just toss it. I'm not sure what to do with it. Any thoughts..?
Sorry to see you didn't get a response here. Come on over to the Ovation Fan Club and we'll be happy to help you out. (http://ovationfanclub.com/)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:41 AM

Bridge re-glues on Ovations are not any worse than other guitars...I do a few a year, usually about $100-$150.......
Old 12-05-2016, 08:40 AM

I cannot see your pics. Looks like you tried to put in some pics?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair