The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-22-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Fwiw, Evan's new nylon X10 next to a new nylon X20...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/builda...y/23908267043/
Thanks Tom. I searched the message board, but could not find a thread with this in it. If the X10N is a little larger than the X7, and a little smaller than the X20, it would be the perfect size for me. I thought I remembered the X10 as a fairly conventional looking guitar on their web site when they used to have a pic. I will send Sean/Allister an email to see if they can get me some specs, pricing, and such. I do absolutely love the tone and comfort of my X7.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I got to play the steel string Rider (and all the other Blackbird guitars and ukes) last weekend at the Reno Uke Fest. Blackbird was an exhibitor, and brought everything. Rider sounds fine, and the neck-up device keeps you from missing more of a body for lap sitting.

Sorry, but I'm crushed with work deadlines this Friday, so don't have time to elaborate further or for a more complete review. That will have to wait a few days - along with ordering my Lucky 13 in the next couple of weeks. Short version, they all sound good and play wonderfully, and all have slightly different voices.
Hi Earl. I really enjoy my L13 a lot. I'm sure you will like yours as well. Mine has the satin finish on the back and sides. I wasn't sure I'd like the finish, but I think I prefer it to the all gloss. Mine came from LA guitar sales. Good price and excellent service from a forum sponsor.

I would really like to try out the BB nylon Rider, but haven't found a stocking dealer in the area I'm in. Blackbird road show????
Old 04-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Guest 928

AZ;
I'm a bit confused also. I think the story is this: The x10 is not now a production model, but might be available as a custom order???

PINE;
The X10, in my estimation is the perfect size. You will, however, find that the design of the 20 is such that you will feel like you are holding a smaller guitar; it's very comfortable.

The slot tuners are a matter of style. The tuners that Blackbird, Rainsong, and Emerald generally use are not slot and they work perfectly well. I got the slots because I am getting old, find that Neil was absolutely right when he said that rust never sleeps, and I'm in a mood to indulge myself.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Although Evan's X10N may be a one-off with the center sound hole model still being in production, there has been some question about this. I think in another thread Sean from Emerald was asked to respond to clarify, but in the interim, Pine, you may want to inquire directly with Emerald.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:06 PM

Evan, I sent Alistair/Sean an email requesting some info on the X10N, and have signed up for an X20 road show. Hopefully I will find something that will strike my fancy. I have several viable options for a nylon guitar now.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-23-2016, 09:48 AM
Guest 928

Pine;

One of your early comments has struck me as an interesting side note for nylon string guitars. You observe that a wider nut width is required for floppy nylon strings. I suspect that the traditional width is a residual from when cat guts were the string of choice.

Contemporary strings reduce the floppy nature of nylon strung guitars. Hard tension strings in particular reduce string flow. The Thomastik-Infeld folk/classical strings with a mix of nylon flat wound on steel core and metal wrapped nylon further reduce the flexibility of the strings.

I think that contemporary strings allow for a more narrow nut width. I also believe that as you move to harder string tension the sound become harder and I prefer normal tension. My RS Parlor has a nut width of 1 6/8" and I've experience no problems with string slap or flop. I prefer a nut width of 1 7/8"
because that is the width I find most comfortable.

The only problem you might have with contemporary nylon strings is if you like a real low set up. I had my X10N set up very low and used the string slap as part of the music.

For an illustration of just how much nylon strings float around google Evan Blythin and go to "music room." I'm somewhat embarrassed at the video, but it has some interesting moments. In particular, toward the end, the video catches the strings in motion. Pretty interesting stuff.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:55 PM

Hey, obviously late to the discussion, but finding and getting a custom made Blackbird Lucky 13 nylon string guitar w a 2" nut and electronics too I wanted to let you know that's an option. Got it in February and still loving it. Went away for a week once and it was still in tune when I got home. Nice sound, very nice, even w/o an amp. I like the 2"nut just because of the extra room to fit all my fingers in on crazy chords. Know zippo about other CF guitars except that I loved the one Rainsong I tried in a store once. but the L13 didn't break the bank and now I can just sit my poor old abused wooden classical in the corner and let it RIP. - Blackbird will take custom orders, check it out if interested. - also, barely bigger than the Ryder, more normal shape, still very light. Cheers all.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:57 PM

25.5 inch scale length would be a better
Old 08-01-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcase View Post
Hey, obviously late to the discussion, but finding and getting a custom made Blackbird Lucky 13 nylon string guitar w a 2" nut and electronics too I wanted to let you know that's an option. Got it in February and still loving it. Went away for a week once and it was still in tune when I got home. Nice sound, very nice, even w/o an amp. I like the 2"nut just because of the extra room to fit all my fingers in on crazy chords. Know zippo about other CF guitars except that I loved the one Rainsong I tried in a store once. but the L13 didn't break the bank and now I can just sit my poor old abused wooden classical in the corner and let it RIP. - Blackbird will take custom orders, check it out if interested. - also, barely bigger than the Ryder, more normal shape, still very light. Cheers all.
Sound clips/videos please
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 08-02-2016, 09:45 AM

Some interesting comments here.
I would be very interested in a good sounding Nylon String Classical.

I currently play three amazing nylon string instruments. A classical flamenco negra and a flamenco blanca. Switching between the wider necks and my electric telecaster is not an issue. I love the wider nut width of the classical and flamencos.

My instruments have great action, much lower than one would typically see on a classical guitar and with no buzzing.

The biggest issue I see with and hear with the CF nylon instruments is tone and projected volume. Once these issues are developed more, I would love to jump in and get a CF classical.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber