The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Default CA Cargo review

My used CA Cargo arrived today. Pretty cool little guitar! I'm really surprised at the tone. It really does sound much bigger than it is. Given the tone and size, plus the fact that they are so durable, I think these are just about the perfect travel guitar. I suspect similar ones by Emerald and Rainsong are probably just as nice.

Now, I don't recognize the tuners on this guitar. Any ideas? It doesn't look like they are stock. Anybody recognize these? One isn't working perfectly and I'm not sure if I should look for a replacement or buy a whole new set of some other brand.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Anticipation Junkie

The Cargos are fine guitars and as you say, the sound much bigger than they are. Their tone is prett decent too for a small body.

Yours appears to be a gloss version. I have never seen those style of tuners before on any guitar, let alone on a Cargo. My '08 Cargo that I bought new has the Road Tough (RT) finish and typical functioning Gotoh tuners (not sure which model as it isn't indicated on the tuners).

I hope you enjoy yours.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I got to play a Cargo today, I was surprised how good the tone was. The short scale didn't bother me. I'll likely buy it. It had a carbon glitter finish. Very nice guitar.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:48 PM

Those look to be Steinberger Gearless Tuners, with the 40:1 ratio (but don't ask me how they work......)
Old 07-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Guest 928

I've never seen those but they look cool.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:16 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Great looking guitar! Steve is right. Those are Steinberger tuners. I have those on my Les Paul (Future Edition). I seriously doubt they are original to that Cargo but they are great tuners nonetheless and I'm thinking that no tuning wing sticking out would make it that much less prone to get broken or snagged on something... like a fishing line. That's a neat upgrade. I'd leave it.

JR
Old 07-16-2016, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Yep, they do appear to be Steinberger. I put light strings on it today and I'm pretty dang happy! The one I bought came with the CA gig bag and a hard case. Not sure which one I'll use. I may also see if it'll fit in my roadrunner bag.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

It's taking some time for me to get comfortable with the short scale length. Kind of wish I'd gone slightly bigger, but I'll keep trying.

Do you guys typically play farther toward the neck on these? Trying to playback towards the bridge is a job!
Old 07-17-2016, 01:18 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
It's taking some time for me to get comfortable with the short scale length. Kind of wish I'd gone slightly bigger, but I'll keep trying.

Do you guys typically play farther toward the neck on these? Trying to playback towards the bridge is a job!
Some find the Cargo cramped, some do not. I do not. I'm 5'-11", 190 lbs. with longish fingers and I feel comfortable anywhere on the neck.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:44 PM

Talking

Quote:

Old 07-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

I put a strap on it and that helped quite a lot. It's starting to grow on me more and more.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 07-17-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I out a strap on it and that helped quite a lot. It's starting to grow on me more and more.

Congratulations BoneDigger! It's a NGD!
I use a strap even when I'm sitting, it holds the guitars in a sweet spot.
Now get ready for worry free travels.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber