The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-01-2016, 08:03 AM

Default Cheap recording for more than 2 channels?

I got myself an Alesis 4-channel mixer with USB audio interface a couple of years ago. It's pretty decent for my purposes - singing and playing guitar at the same time - but has the limitation that it only has two channels output through either by USB or regular analog-out.

I've been looking on Amazon and it seems this is very common. It's a bit of an issue if I wanted to have another singer or a pianist or something, I have to then do live mixing effectively.

Is this some technical limitation which means you have to pay more to get multiple channels out, or a deliberate decision by the manufacturers?

ARE there entry-level (sub $100) products which will let me have more than 2 input channels? I'm also having problems searching because there are loads of "4 channel mixers" and "4 channel usb interfaces" but they're referring to the number of input channels, and I can't limit my search by number of output channels

Thanks for your help. Note this is for home/hobby recording only, I really do NOT need expensive studio-quality equipment
Old 03-01-2016, 08:26 AM

This is about the cheapest I can see, 4 (or is it 8?) output channels via USB.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alesis-iO4-A.../dp/B004NMVUV4
Old 03-01-2016, 09:01 AM

This new Behringer interface for $100 has 4 channel inputs with 4 mic preamps. I'm not a big Behr fan, and have no experience with their interfaces.
In the 'you get what you pay for' department, there are a number of good interfaces with 4 (or more) input channels in the $250 range.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-01-2016, 10:06 AM

Thanks for that, I had seen plenty of Behr stuff but only stereo-out in the budget range. I'll take a look at this; it seems a pretty like-for-like competitor to the ALESIS IO4 I linked above.

$99 is a bargain (£70?)... here in the UK I can see it for £130!
Old 03-03-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
ARE there entry-level (sub $100) products which will let me have more than 2 input channels? I'm also having problems searching because there are loads of "4 channel mixers" and "4 channel usb interfaces" but they're referring to the number of input channels, and I can't limit my search by number of output channels

Thanks for your help. Note this is for home/hobby recording only, I really do NOT need expensive studio-quality equipment
I just went thru a similar process and ended up with the Steinberg UR44 which I have set up to record 4 mics into 4 channels in GarageBand. I sent back a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, which also inputs 4 mics because the software front end to it was far too baffling. I couldn't find anything much under $200 for a 4 in and 4 out box.

A big stumbling block for both boxes was that I had two dynamic mics I wanted to be able to use and their mic preamps simply didn't give me a strong enough signal so I also had to spring for two new condenser mics. I could have boosted the output of the dynamic mics with yet another amp, but I wanted to keep things simple. Both units had a phantom power feature to run the dynamic mics.

A month in, the Steinberg UR44 is still working great and I'm slowly figuring out all it can do. It has 6 inputs so I can also plug in my Strat. It's biggest advantage was that I was able to get it going right out of the box as it's front end control panel is far simpler and has an excellent user manual whereas the Focusrite's software and manual seemed designed for a pro sound tech.

One thing I've found with home recording is that it's always gonna cost more than you feel like paying.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Is this some technical limitation which means you have to pay more to get multiple channels out, or a deliberate decision by the manufacturers?
I think the technical limitation you're referring to might be true. Manufacturers have two target markets; us home studio producers and the professional studios.

More channels means more functionality. Multiple-channel outputs will always cost more. Especially when they're introduced with analog inputs and outputs. Manufacturers perceive that those who need more channels are professional studios, not home-studio guys who just need to track multiple instruments.

What I said just makes me sad.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:42 AM

Something to watch-out for is how much phantom power you need and the types of inputs. Many of the lower priced units have 4 inputs but only supply phantom power on 1 or 2 inputs or, possibly all 4 at the same time.

I stopped looking for a 4 input unit and went with this one: https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i...scarlett-18i20

They go on sale once in a while for $349.

Ray

PS: Be wary of purchasing them used unless it says reconditioned from manufacturer. (People register the software then return the hardware -and the software is licensed by the hardware serial number).

PS: PS: Make sure you check the type of computer interface. Some are USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt etc...

Last edited by RayCJ; 03-07-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
Something to watch-out for is how much phantom power you need and the types of inputs. Many of the lower priced units have 4 inputs but only supply phantom power on 1 or 2 inputs or, possibly all 4 at the same time.

I stopped looking for a 4 input unit and went with this one: https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i...scarlett-18i20

They go on sale once in a while for $349.

Ray

PS: Be wary of purchasing them used unless it says reconditioned from manufacturer. (People register the software then return the hardware -and the software is licensed by the hardware serial number).

PS: PS: Make sure you check the type of computer interface. Some are USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt etc...
Is it correct if I say Firewire is better than USB for Windows? And of course, Thunderbolt is thunderbolt?
Old 03-11-2016, 09:40 AM

"Better" in what way?

USB 1.0 used to be bad for multi-channel tracking, but with USB 2.0 and 3.0, that is no longer an issue.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD