The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-14-2014, 07:14 PM

Setlist Maker on my iPad2 attached to my mic stand with an iKlip. Our other guitar player was reluctant but once he got an iPad and became familiar with it and then got Setlist Maker, he's learned to love it and has no regrets.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 10-14-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2558 View Post
Setlist Maker on my iPad2 attached to my mic stand with an iKlip. Our other guitar player was reluctant but once he got an iPad and became familiar with it and then got Setlist Maker, he's learned to love it and has no regrets.
Long-time SetListMaker fan and user here too, also on an iPad 2, using the OnStage mic-stand holder. Mostly just for set lists but I do have lyrics on there too as I get used to them. What a killer little set-up for a soloist.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 PM

IPad here.

I use Google Docs to edit and save my tabs. A good simple editor.

DDGigBook is a great tab system, allowing set lists, sorting by song, type, author etc.

Both are compatible with DropBox, so I can easily scoot stuff over front Docs to DDGigBook.

It works well for my usage.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 10-15-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
- 1 for the iPad (iOS)... Though a lot of suppliers in the the music industry tend to move first for software support of iOS over Android or (now) Windows. I think this is a huge error. Apple continues to commit the capital digital crime of the 90's proprietary systems.

Understand I admire Apple for what they have done with their marketing and the adaptation of open source to create a proprietary line of products. In many cases being an innovator. (something too I respect). But I can't over come a single source digital solution for hardware. (software iOS itself, different issue).

Both Android and Windows have a multi-vendor support presents that provides a level of competition in the market and why my support for the platforms out strips iOS.

Android (Galaxy but one of many): Very strong 3rd party vendor support but as mentioned typically the 2nd child to be fed by the developer community. I've seen this begin to change over the last year or so as I am seeing more Android adaptations of code moving to their second platform on iOS.

The typical Android app seems to consistently be less costly than those on iOS (this may be a product of my perception and/or bias but what I think I see).

I do all of the above with Android and have several devices of varying size. The most recent music app I have had the pleasure to play with and am preparing to purchase the commercial version of is Audio Evolution which is a tablet base multi-track DAW which also has a Windows based counter part to share track data between the Android device and the windows desktop. Very cool so far and works with my extra AudioBox USB to provide me a portable studio.

Windows (Surface): The red headed ugly step child of the mobile world. Microsoft has fought long and hard to be successful in the mobile market for years. A partnership with Google that would have allowed for the convergence of Android with Windows would have dropped Apple like a hot rock giving the best of all worlds. But there was/is too much animosity for that to happen short of a hostel buy out of one corporation of the other.

I like the concept of my windows desktop going portable (beyond laptop portable). Is Surface (windows for mobile) that solution? I think the jury is out on that. I think more likely that we are seeing the windows mobile version of Windows desktop 1.3 (remember that boys and girls?) and that Microsoft may be beginning to make in roads into this beloved market space but has a long way to go to win the love and admiration of the public user base at large. In theory anything you run on windows desktop has a potential to work on the platform but think there is a lot to prove here.
I mostly agree. But I record with iPad and Auria. Nothing in Android is in that league. Windows has a lot of DAW apps.
But the MS Surface comes with 64 GIG storage. That won't even keep up with the Windows updates.

The problem with most Windows and Android tablets is the small amount of storage you get with the SSB drives. 32 gig? 64gig? Pathetic.
The Apple ecosystem at least has passable DAW's like Auria that can operate in that kind of environment.

2 days ago, I bought a Hybrid Toshiba Click 2. It is a detachable Windows 8.1 tablet/laptop. It cost $500. Better yet - it gives 500 Gig of storage.
That's about 8x what the Surface Pro comes with at half the cost. The Toshiba has a 13 inch display. I like that. It's too big for some people though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-...&skuId=6129136

If you're going to make music, the bottom line with Windows tablets though I think is storage. I had an Acer Iconia that had a 32 G SSB drive.
I swear, by the time I put a couple of programs on it, the space was gone. And then came the Windows updates.

I loved the Iconia. But I need a serious laptop and a tablet. The Toshiba is a serious laptop. And W 8.1 is a better tablet OS than it is a laptop OS.
Touch-screen is great on both the Acer and the Toshiba.

For music, I don't think Android is competitive with either ioS or Win. For Office applications, I think it lags behind too.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Last edited by louparte; 10-15-2014 at 04:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD