The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-04-2014, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Sound quality with Apogee Mic recording on iPad

I'm sure there is a quick answer here and I think I know what it is but I wanted to post here for feedback.

I just started using my Apogee Mic that I bought some time ago with the Audio Recorder interface on Garageband on my iPad. I simply want to record my guitar so I have a good representation of my playing and to help analyze how I am doing playing a composition.

That said, I had taken the approach to position the microphone about 3-4 inches from the soundhole (basically just enough clearance to be sure it is out of the way of my right hand) and then I setup the gain level on the microphone to where I see it just change from green to red (and then back down a bit). On the VU meter on Garageband, this looks like the peaks are in -5 to -3 dB range. What I am finding is that on playback, the bass/low end sounds boomy and a touch distorted.

So I'm thinking I need to lower the gain level and keep the microphone in the same position. I read another thread where another Apogee Mic user kept the gain level to where the recording stayed in the -12 to -18 range.

Also, should I be using earbuds to monitor my playing while recording? The Garageband interface suggests this can reduce the chance of feedback.

Finally, is there a more detailed third party guide to optimizing recording on the iPad with Garageband (and hopefully with the Apogee Mic)? The online help from Apple and the documentation from Apogee is pretty thin on info.

Any tips would be appreciated. I'm not looking for anything studio quality obviously but something that is decent enough to play back to family and friends and sounds balanced (i.e. no boominess).

Thanks!

Bob
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-12-2014, 03:04 PM

Get the mic away from the soundhole that is not the ideal spot. Back it up to about 8 to 10 inches away pointed at the 14th fret. That should help a bit!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:40 PM

The Apogee mic has a cardiod pickup pattern and will add some proximity effect when close to the source. That's the low frequency distortion you are hearing. I agree with rockabilly69. Move the mic farther away. Plug your earbuds in while you are find the best spot for the mic. Just move it around until it sounds good, then set your levels from there.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:48 PM

Way too close. I use mine approx 18" away from the 12th fret: over the soundhole will be too boomy.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

That mike position will work great for Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture - the cannons part. Tons of info on the internet about recording a guitar - read up.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-12-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Get the mic away from the soundhole that is not the ideal spot. Back it up to about 8 to 10 inches away pointed at the 14th fret. That should help a bit!
Not only not the ideal spot, but absolutely the worst spot!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:19 AM

I don't know about any of the answers above, the guys are probably right, but really, number 1 rule for recording, is mess with stuff. Get a piece of paper and a pen. Figure out a piece or two that has styles you might play - strum, fingerpick, flatpick, whatever. Some dynamic range - it it hard, hit it soft. Then place the mic, play it. Write down the position and take number on the paper. Move the mic, do it again. Try it all over. One good spot is over the shoulder, by your ear. Try it 10 feet out. Just try it. Then listen back.

You'll probably find a few things that work.

Once you get it recorded, don't be afraid to mess with EQ. Have a look online for EQ parameters for acoustic guitar. Lots of suggestions. Try a bit of compression, or a lot of compression, try a bit of reverb, to a lot of reverb.

But you got to try it, again and again. It's a bit of a slog. But you have to learn to try it and listen.

Other thing - find a recorded track that you really like the sound of, listen to it, then listen to yours. Called referencing, and it will really help you decide what you like and whether you've go there.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:56 AM

Default So correct Rick!! Write each session down

> SprintBob
I have messed with running my harmonica into the iRig Pro > iPad mini and actual love the sound, fun mixing! Only problem I notice is some sort of lag experienced. While running a back track lets says on track#1 then harmonica on track #2 and thats it. Really bummed and just have,nt used it much. Means I have to go in and find each lag point and some are sure easy to hear everything stops for 1-3 secs. Wish I could figure whats causing it. Support said my ipad did not space I have. 64gb with 3gb free.

> Rick
TY and you are so correct. I,m trying to isolate a interference of some sort at the beginnings of my songs once in awhile while recording to my pc for videos for u-tube.
Now if I had wrote down, the mic,s placements, pedal settings etc sure makes it easier to find issues I,m finding. And a sound you find down the road you really like but cannot remember what settings, pedals etc you used. Thanks Rick, very great suggestion have a good hump day!

Cheers,
cya onstage or the streets....
RC Growling LoneWolf Henry
Azbluesplayer
AzBlues Radio

Last edited by azbluesplayer; 10-15-2014 at 04:07 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD