The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-12-2014, 10:55 PM

Default What up with this recording?

Do you all think there is a mic mixed in with the internal pickup? How does he achieve so little finger noise? I realize that great technique has much to do with it, but this seems uncannily quiet. FYI, this is Ulli's signature model Lakewood with a Baggs Anthem pickup.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 10-13-2014, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Nice sound. Pretty easy piece all in the first position, so no reason for there to be much finger noise (though I did hear just a bit).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-13-2014, 09:29 AM

There is an excellent chance, from the lack of visible microphones, that he recorded that separately, then 'finger synced' over top of it. I don't know that, Uli's an excellent technician, and can certainly play that beautifully. So, who knows what setup was used, unless he tells you in the notes.

Like Rick said, no reason for finger noise in there, and Uli is a serious student of the guitar. Never looked at his history, but from the way he plays, looks like he has had some classical background. He pays attention to the details, and a lot of finger noise, especially in what is a relatively simple arrangement, would not be acceptable to him, and he'd fix it in his playing. He has tremendous economy of movement in both hands - you can see things move the bare minimum, and when he picks up his fingers, they come straight up, nice and clean.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD