The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Maybe it is a compatibility issue with pickups...I'm using a Lyric pickup which is an active pickup. On my 12 string I'm using a Martin Gold Line pickup which also is an active pickup. Active pickups put out a very strong signal...My tuner works fine with both. Maybe that's the difference ??
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

Last edited by Glennwillow; 10-30-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: edited for rule #1
Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 AM

In another thread about foot pedal tuners, it was suggested to make sure you're using a fresh battery as a weak battery may be the cause of some problems. In my case I'm not using a battery in the Venue, I'm using a 110/9 volt power supply to power the Venue, maybe that's why it's working good for me. If you're using weak batteries, that certainly could cause problems.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 10-29-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:35 PM

The bantering back and forth was kinda amusing actually. Silly, but I'd rather see respectfulness reign even when opinions differ.

I own the Venue. The tuner does the job. I can see it even outside. It will get your guitar in tune (mostly). It will turn off after sitting for a few minutes because it has a battery save mode. Click the foot switch a couple of times and it comes back on. It works fine, I use it because of ease. However, to my ears, some of my other tuners are better. If you own a Peterson tuner and use the "sweetened" feature you will hear the guitar in all of it's glory. Those who own one know what I am talking about. BUT, I can't use the sweetened tuning with other guitarists because I will sound out of tune to everyone else. I also have a couple of different clip-on tuners and an iphone app. If I tune with those I think my guitar sounds more in tune than if I tune with the Venue tuner. BTW, these tuners don't agree to what's exactly in tune. They all vary a bit.

Come Sunday, I will tune exactly 3 times before the first service with my Venue tuner to allow for the change in temperature of the room from the start of rehearsal to the start of service.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-29-2014, 08:38 PM

I am very excited to try the new Platinum Pro EQ. I loved the layout and feel of the Spectrum DI so I am glad that Fishman decided to design the newest version around this concept. It would just be amazing if they would released a Pro EQ 2 that's maybe a little larger but allows for dual source stereo pickups.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
Maybe it is a compatibility issue with pickups...I'm using a Lyric pickup which is an active pickup. On my 12 string I'm using a Martin Gold Line pickup which also is an active pickup. Active pickups put out a very strong signal...My tuner works fine with both. Maybe that's the difference ??
I've tried the tuner many times against strobe tuners Peterson, Turbotuner and even a Boss Tu2, all of which I still own and it wasn't as accurate. And by the way I make my living playing guitar 7 days a week so and I've used the tuner with almost every kind of guitar imaginable and along with not sensing the notes quick enough it isn't as accurate as others, so lighten up. And yes I've had the lyric and gold in guitars that were tested! If you like it fine.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 10-30-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: edited quote and response for rule #1
Old 10-29-2014, 11:27 PM

I wish any of these pedal style preamps would have a true bypass switch so I could buy two, mount them on my pedal board, and have one set for a National with a magnetic pickup, and one set for my acoustic with the B-Band 2.2 XOM system. No tuner needed, just make the thing reasonably small. That would be perfect for me. I could just put them in a loop setup but I don't want that big of a pedal board. Lately I've been just using one Empress Para EQ with boost, and it has been better than any preamp pedal I've tried.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:49 PM

Since I make my entire livelihood as a musician. I want things that work reliably, sound good, and don't break. I've been dialing my rig down to smaller and smaller every year, while keeping high performance as possible. I think most gearslutz people are out of there minds, but even there you can see through the crap, and find somethings that work, and get to hear how some professionals work. Some of the pieces of equipment that I've used very successfully are routinely panned there.

To compare a clip on tuner to a real tuner is preposterous. They are convenient at best. I play intruments like National resonators that have very complex overtones and you need a good tuner to lock in. I also play in many open tunings which also seem to wreak havoc on weak tuners. So give me a break, try playing almost every day, 4 to 8 hours a day, and things will reveal all their little idiosyncrasies, that why experience counts. I like to keep my rig simple, but if it requires a separate accurate tuner to get the job done that's what I'll do. If you see any of my other post you recognize I try to find things that WORK, and work consistently for what I do. I'm not playing with some jam band for 50 bucks a man for fun. I'm paying my mortgage, and all of my bills with a guitar so I want what works! I care that if someone is reading this thread they get my account of using the preamp in a real gigging situation.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 10-30-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: deleted quote, adjusted response for rule #1
Old 10-30-2014, 12:19 AM

http://youtu.be/TxFaDm9Qz3k check out the speed and sensitivity.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 10-30-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: edited for rule #1
Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I would argue that it's better to discuss the pros and cons of every product as it helps future consumers.
Well, that's definitely what brought me here, looking for experience-based reviews of gear, both pro and con. A lot of the "pro" reviewing is easy to find via advertising; I find warnings against potential probs with specific pieces of gear to be particularly helpful.

As musicians, we do tend to take criticism of our art personally; I'd hope we could avoid doing so regarding criticism of our personal gear choices. (Then again, flame wars have always been some of the greatest entertainment throughout the history of the internet.)

Keep it light, y'all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification