The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Better pickup for a recent Taylor 412: K&K Pure Mini or Baggs Lyric?
K&K Pure Mini 11 78.57%
L.R. Baggs Lyric 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Question Pick-Up for Taylor 412: K&K or Baggs Lyric?

I've narrowed my choices down to these two...

Which of these two aftermarket pickups would be a better choice for a recent Taylor 412: The K&K Pure Mini, or the L.R. Baggs Lyric?

Playing style is about 50% strumming and 50% fingerpicking (usually with a thumbpick). Music played is solo and small ensemble Americana singer/songwriter played mostly through a Carvin AG200, but also sometimes directly into a PA.

As a point of reference, I know that the K&K sounds great into the Carvin (even without a pre-amp), though in fairness, everything (both active and passive) seems to sound great through the Carvin.

In terms of pre-amps, I have the Fire Eye Red-Eye, but usually do not use it when playing my K&K equipped guitars through the Carvin because it doesn't really seem to enhance things much.

Any and all input and comments welcome.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-21-2017, 12:20 PM

As a Lyric owner, I'd say Lyric needs serious EQ capability to sound good.

Whey don't you go for the ES2?

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-21-2017, 03:49 PM

The Pure Mini seems to do well in small guitars. Beyond that, the Lyric can be problematic in some guitars. (I agree with Cuki on that, although its sounds great {no EQ required} with the most recent Lyric-equipped guitar that I've been running sound for.)

I thought that you were wanting to use one mic for everything?

If an externally miked sound is your heart's desire, I suspect you'll eventually be considering ToneDexter. The current anecdotal evidence is suggesting that ToneDexter works better with the Pure Mini than with the Lyric system.

Last edited by guitaniac; 05-21-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
...snip...
I thought that you were wanting to use one mic for everything?
...snip...
Over this weekend I've done some serious A/B/C-ing (pickup only, mic [Pro 37] only, pickup + mic) of all my guitars through the Carvin.

Doing these comparisons, even in the quiet, familiar, and controlled environment of my rehearsal room, I'd have to say (if I am totally honest with myself), that the sound quality difference between these three set-ups is pretty minimal. If forced to pick a "best sounding" set-up, I'd have to say that "pickup + mic" probably won for all my guitar/pickup combinations.

Combine this with the loss of separate EQ capability for vox & guitar, and I'm coming to the belief that the drawbacks of using a single mic outweigh the potential benefits.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
As a Lyric owner, I'd say Lyric needs serious EQ capability to sound good.

Whey don't you go for the ES2?

Cuki
Thanks for the reply Cuki. My Carvin amp has a fairly robust three band EQ section with a very effective parametric mid band sweep. Have your found that once you "dial the lyric in" you are good to go, or do you need to adjust it differently for every room?

Also, I thought the ES2 was not a practical retrofit option for guitars with no electronics?

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-21-2017, 09:27 PM

I have had both of those pickups in guitars. The parametric mids of your amp will indeed help matters. I have found there is no one setting and forget it for any pickup. Both can be problematic to EQ and then both can be quite good set flat. Every users' experience, tastes and ears vary.

My advice to you is pick one and don't turn back.

My Dazzos are installed perfectly to sound great set flat. Any EQ change needed for a situation is minimal and very easy. They sound very much like a microphone hyped on steroids and can be tailored for your guitar and playing style. I give this plug to you free of charge as a public service announcement since they are still handmade by one guy in Sunnyvale, Ca.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-21-2017, 10:02 PM

Default Pick-Up for Taylor 412: K&K or Baggs Lyric?

If you play a style of music that requires a lot of bass, then you'll need to choose the K&K over the Lyric. If you are playing finger style compositions, and can rely on good EQ, the Lyric might be OK. Is the Trance Amulet out of the question? What about the Anthem SL?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-21-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Thanks for the reply Cuki. My Carvin amp has a fairly robust three band EQ section with a very effective parametric mid band sweep. Have your found that once you "dial the lyric in" you are good to go, or do you need to adjust it differently for every room?

Also, I thought the ES2 was not a practical retrofit option for guitars with no electronics?

Retrofitting an ES2 should not be a major problem for Taylor, check their website for the cost of a new installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-22-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:

1) I've tried to EQ my Lyric with a plugin that enabled me to have as many bands as I wanted.
2) I've bought a D-tar Equinox on purpose.

So I had 3 parametric and 2 notches. But I only used one notch.
3) I found my self always re-ajusting the parametric EQ, so I started my IR convolution project. I did not try the Equinox in different rooms. Very early I knew it would be too complex and the different posts on the AGF convinced me that the Lyric needed an IR.

You are going to ask me: "Why the Lyric?"

Well I wanted to have the response of a microphone. IR convolution does not change the dynamic of your pickup. So you still feel the mic/UST/AST character. I think you can hear that on the multiple sample of Tonedexter that have been recently post. I wanted that mic character.

Quote:
ES2 installation has to be made by Taylor dealer. In Europe, they send the guitar to Amsterdam where it is done professionally at Taylor's European headquaters. One thing for sure: there is no going back from that.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 05-22-2017, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

The latest ES2 is awesome. I love it.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:08 AM

I voted k&k. To me, that type of pick-up reproduces the acoustic sound of the guitar the most accurately. Every other system sounds slightly off to me.

Personally, I went with the JJB Prestige 330 with 15mm transducers because it was less money ($49). I wanted to try one without breaking the bank. It sounds great and I have since installed these in two additional guitars. Basing off of that, I wouldn't hesitate to get the k&k, since they are pretty much on par with each other.

Link for JJB , in case you are curious.
http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-330.html

Some threads I've posted about with my experiences with the bridge plate transducer pick-ups.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=244800

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=389732

I Iike these types of pick-ups, as the are just about as unobtrusive as it gets, doesn't require a battery source and does not change the pure acoustic sound of the guitar in any way.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian

Last edited by Wasper; 05-22-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I recommend either retro-fitting your Taylor with the ES2 or adding the Trance Amulet M.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Retrofitting an ES2 should not be a major problem for Taylor, check their website for the cost of a new installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
...snip...ES2 installation has to be made by Taylor dealer. ...snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
The latest ES2 is awesome. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I recommend either retro-fitting your Taylor with the ES2 ...snip...
I can't find anything on the Taylor site (or the web in general) about purchaing the ES2 system aftermarket. (and I'm pretty good about finding stuff like this.)

I am very much a "plug-and-play" guy, so I'm very likely to find a "best setting" of EQ, preamp, etc., and just live with that. (This is just the way I am).

I think I am leaning heavily toward the K&K. I have it in two of my current guitars, and have had it in several others as well. I've never had trouble finding a decent EQ setting for it.

I love how the ES2 sounds in my GS Mini-e Koa, but considering my track record with the K&K and the ease of installation, it seems a much safer bet.

Thanks everyone.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-22-2017, 09:14 AM

Default Pick-Up for Taylor 412: K&K or Baggs Lyric?

Quote:
I can't find anything on the Taylor site (or the web in general) about purchaing the ES2 system aftermarket. (and I'm pretty good about finding stuff like this.)

I am very much a "plug-and-play" guy, so I'm very likely to find a "best setting" of EQ, preamp, etc., and just live with that. (This is just the way I am).

I think I am leaning heavily toward the K&K. I have it in two of my current guitars, and have had it in several others as well. I've never had trouble finding a decent EQ setting for it.

I love how the ES2 sounds in my GS Mini-e Koa, but considering my track record with the K&K and the ease of installation, it seems a much safer bet.

Thanks everyone.

Ed, I think the cost was in the neighborhood of $300, plus shipping each way, for Taylor to install the ES2. So, you'd be in for $400, plus a few weeks. In my opinion, that too much to spend on a $1800 guitar, unless it is a very special guitar for gigs. If you wanted top of the Line, the Trance Amulet would also be a good choice. But, if I were in your shoes, I might just do the K&K and call it a day. However, if you can purchase a used Lyric, or get one from a retailer that takes returns, it might be worrying the investment of a few hours to experiment with it. Otherwise, super glue away and move on. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-23-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
See at the end of this link
Expression System 2® Upgrade or Install:
https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/service-packages
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification