The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2017, 12:43 PM

I know it's not the original OP but

some people have mounted pole mount on AER AG8.2

On the side

On the bottom

Add an AER dual mix

And you have your remote.

Man... I feel GAS now...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-21-2017, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I know it's not the original OP but

some people have mounted pole mount on AER AG8.2

On the side

On the bottom

Add an AER dual mix

And you have your remote.

Man... I feel GAS now...
That would be a nice little setup!

How hard would it be to add the speaker stand mount?

I'd be worried about hitting something important while drilling into the speaker!

But in keeping with the theme of the thread, my first thought in looking at the Dual Mix is that I'd really like a mid EQ knob! :-)

Another good "remote" would be a Grace Designs Felix.

But now we are creeping closer to a powdered speaker and a mixer!

Matt

Last edited by open-road-matt; 05-21-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
That would be a nice little setup!

How hard would it be to add the speaker stand mount?

I'd be worried about hitting something important while drilling into the speaker!

But in keeping with the theme of the thread, my first thought in looking at the Dual Mix is that I'd really like a mid EQ knob! :-)

Another good "remote" would be a Grace Designs Felix.

But now we are creeping closer to a powdered speaker and a mixer!

Matt
First you can find one on sale already mounted (ex: the two bottom poled mounted in Germany)

Second, the handle is easy to remove. I did once when I checked on my are compact 60 if the car amplifier story was true (it is). When removed, you can see clearly in the wooden cabinet. You just have to find an ag8.2 second hand or a wedge compact 60 if you don't want to use the pocket mixer.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-21-2017, 04:26 PM

This thread was a bit confusing to follow but I think I got the intent of the OP's original question. There seems to be a lack of a one size fits all solution to everybody's amp needs. I too want to ask the same question. I recently explored the small amp offerings and found myself saying "if only amp X had this or that...".

My search turned up two things: The new redesigned Shertler David with it's amp stand add on could work and check off all of the boxes. The second option is an amp I used to own and is no longer made until I found one from a fellow forum member. I will try and link it at a later time if someone was really interested. It is the original Fishman Acoustic Performer Pro. It has a huge feature list. Built like a tank in its steel chassis. Plenty of power. It was shaped like a floor wedge but you could mount it. Independent DI outs, 15 and 48 volt Phantom power, notch filter, 3 band EQ, basic reverb, chorus options. And a balanced TRS 1/4" input option for automatic dual source capabilities. It sold for around $1800 in the late 90's and had an optional slave powered speaker add on. I picked up mine for $500. I should of kept the original one I owned. Fishman probably couldn't sell enough of them at that price. I love mine now and will try and keep it running as long as possible.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-21-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
This thread was a bit confusing to follow but I think I got the intent of the OP's original question. There seems to be a lack of a one size fits all solution to everybody's amp needs. I too want to ask the same question. I recently explored the small amp offerings and found myself saying "if only amp X had this or that...".

My search turned up two things: The new redesigned Shertler David with it's amp stand add on could work and check off all of the boxes. The second option is an amp I used to own and is no longer made until I found one from a fellow forum member. I will try and link it at a later time if someone was really interested. It is the original Fishman Acoustic Performer Pro. It has a huge feature list. Built like a tank in its steel chassis. Plenty of power. It was shaped like a floor wedge but you could mount it. Independent DI outs, 15 and 48 volt Phantom power, notch filter, 3 band EQ, basic reverb, chorus options. And a balanced TRS 1/4" input option for automatic dual source capabilities. It sold for around $1800 in the late 90's and had an optional slave powered speaker add on. I picked up mine for $500. I should of kept the original one I owned. Fishman probably couldn't sell enough of them at that price. I love mine now and will try and keep it running as long as possible.

I think you make a good point. We've all seen great products around the $2000 price range. But, they are hard to sell at that price. We want it all, but at a discount! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I had one of the original Fishman APP along with the powered extension cabinet. Bought them used for a decent price (shortly after they were discontinued). They worked great until the main unit failed three times (for different reasons) and the last failure rendered it basically useless because of lack of parts.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I had one of the original Fishman APP along with the powered extension cabinet. Bought them used for a decent price (shortly after they were discontinued). They worked great until the main unit failed three times (for different reasons) and the last failure rendered it basically useless because of lack of parts.
I don't know what it would sell for today. It wouldn't be cheap. I would love it if it was made again. I am in for that sort of thing.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-21-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I did own the previous generation of Stagemate and liked it quite a bit. I never had the chance to compare it to the AER.
I still have my Carvin Stage Mate S400D with the matching 810 Extension speaker. Nothing AER makes is a close match for it in sound, only weight. Ric
Old 05-21-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Carvin still carries replacement parts and components for their gear that is over 20 years old. This is one of the many reasons I recommend Carvin. Ric
Old 05-21-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
It exists but you have to put it together based on your specific preferences as per my prior post above which has "the basics" covered .
Even the Powerwerks PW50/Kustom PA50 meets this stated criteria. Ric
Old 05-22-2017, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Even the Powerwerks PW50/Kustom PA50 meets this stated criteria. Ric
Ah no not even close, and please STOP YELLING

Only 2 band EQ
Not made to be a floor monitor
no phantom power
produces mid and high range sound (no bass)

Somehow I sincerely doubt it reaches the level of adequate, let alone "premium" sound
Also the OP is looking for a professional unit for touring not a kids toy

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I don't know what it would sell for today. It wouldn't be cheap. I would love it if it was made again. I am in for that sort of thing.

I think I mentioned in one of the posts above that the Line 6 L2t is a very good option, similar in sound quality to the old Fishman. The old Fishman appears to work like a true PA speaker. However, no one has really built a new unit with these features. It might have been a little ahead of its time. And, they went with the SoloAmp form factor and the familiar combo amp for their products after 2009.

The smart Fishman features that the Line 6 does not have are phantom power, and individial DI outs for each channel. These are important features that would make it more useful to gigging solo artists. I have written into Line 6s online feedback center to suggest some of these features and a lighter weight 30lb cabinet with 8" speaker. They indicated that they were reviewing the suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I think I mentioned in one of the posts above that the Line 6 L2t is a very good option, similar in sound quality to the old Fishman. The old Fishman appears to work like a true PA speaker. However, no one has really built a new unit with these features. It might have been a little ahead of its time. And, they went with the SoloAmp form factor and the familiar combo amp for their products after 2009.

The smart Fishman features that the Line 6 does not have are phantom power, and individial DI outs for each channel. These are important features that would make it more useful to gigging solo artists. I have written into Line 6s online feedback center to suggest some of these features and a lighter weight 30lb cabinet with 8" speaker. They indicated that they were reviewing the suggestions.

Now that Line 6 you suggested would be an outstanding system The lack of phantom power is indeed a very strange situation on an other wise great system. I currently have the front end pictured in my previous post and I have a Fishman 220 Soloamp which works but honestly I would tend to place in the (workable adequate ) category not IMO "premium" sound wise

Since my Langevin combo unit is premium and has phantom power I will be selling the Fishman and getting the Line 6 system I had planed on the L2t and probably the L2m as well but would be interest in a slightly lower weight unit also .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 AM

Default Why Do Many Amp-Type Products Seem To Be Missing One Or Two Key Features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Now that Line 6 you suggested would be an outstanding system The lack of phantom power is indeed a very strange situation on an other wise great system. I currently have the front end pictured in my previous post and I have a Fishman 220 Soloamp which works but honestly I would tend to place in the (workable adequate ) category not IMO "premium" sound wise

Since my Langevin combo unit is premium and has phantom power I will be selling the Fishman and getting the Line 6 I had planed on the L2t and probably the L2m as well

Yes, I think acoustic performers, who like the heavier PA speaker cabinet form factor, should invest in these. They are not perfect, but they sound exceptional. Besides that, a single speaker will work well for a guitar and mic. The biggest problem I had with using one speaker with no other font end, is that when you lie it on the side, in monitor configuration, it's very hard to reach the controls. If you have your own mixer, the L2m is hard to beat. However, for the small up charge it makes sense to get the built in mixer. The effects and feedback control are good enough that you really don't need your rack for small gigs.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-22-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Yes, I think acoustic performers, who like the heavier PA speaker cabinet form factor, should invest in these. They are not perfect, but they sound exceptional. Besides that, a since speaker will work well for a guitar and mic. The biggest problem I had with using one speaker with no other font end, is that when you lie it on the side, in monitor configuration, it's very hard to reach the controls. If you have your own mixer, the L2m is hard to beat. However, for the small up charge it makes sense to get the built in mixer.

"The effects and feedback control are good enough that you really don't need your rack for small gigs." Yes I planed on the at least the, T and it would be worth a try "stand alone" but again if the onboard pre's, eq, and reverb are say even 1/2 to 3/4 or close or even as good , as the ones on the Langevin, there is still is not any compression/limiter function (is there ?) which for me is very a very important feature particularly for vocals as well as phantom power . In fact in keeping with OP.... IMO good compression/limiting is one of those features that would fall into a "must have go to" basics, that if not present makes any of the units "lacking one or two Key features " ... Which is why I suggested there is and likely will never be an all in one solution that does not compromise something for some people .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-22-2017 at 07:27 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification