The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
Thanks everybody for the replies. A couple of tings: I have a Soundcraft EFX8--that has 8 channels and mid EQ. I can use that if and when I need more channels--like when some friends come over and we plug in. I am thinking of a smaller mixer to use for practice and then if I should go solo. I was kind of leaning towards the Yamaha due to the compact size. But I appreciate the info on the ZED channels being "individual". What I am hearing that I really like is that both units have good sound, no noise, etc. So...I'll be thinking this over and figure out what to get. I very much appreciate the input from everyone.
You may find yourself in a similar quandary as the rest of us. The Soundcraft board you have includes all the features you could need. However, many of us just want all the features packed into a smaller package with fewer channels. However, there are not many options available, as you've noticed. I am also shopping for a mixer at the moment, so I can empathize.

This is a brand new (this week) product that you might consider.

http://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/products/notepad-8fx

Please allow me to make a few other suggestions based on my recent experience.

1. If you are looking to get the smallest full featured (mids/effects) analog mixer model, the Behringer models have those features on paper. I have no hands on experience with them, but the reviews of the redesigned preamps are very positive.

2. If you are willing to do your mixer control from an iPad, consider the Behringer XR12 Air mixer. I just sold mine because I am a dinosaur and could not get the hang of using an iPad in my music. However, it was the best mixer in terms of sound quality, effects, and features, that I've ever used. At $250, is is a steal. You'll need to supply your own tablet. It's a compact box that has every conceivable input or output. I would highly recommend them for iPad inclined people.

Best!

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-03-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:25 PM

True. But it is too bad that you have to spend so much to buy an iPad...
Old 05-03-2017, 10:12 PM

I saw that Soundcraft was introducing a smaller mixer. I am wondering if anyone knows and/or has information on the size of the Notepad 8fx. I can't seem to find the dimensions anywhere on all the sites I've looked at.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I saw that Soundcraft was introducing a smaller mixer. I am wondering if anyone knows and/or has information on the size of the Notepad 8fx. I can't seem to find the dimensions anywhere on all the sites I've looked at.

I think they have the dimensions on Soundcrafts site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-04-2017, 07:26 AM

I vote for A&H (based on my personal experience)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 PM

I guess I just wanted to tie up this thread I started over a month ago. I did end up getting the A&H 6fx. I'm not an expert on Mixers but I am really glad I chose this one. It's a bit bigger than the Yamaha, but still quite compact. I can get a nice big sound with my guitar. I have not tried a side by side comparison with the Soundcraft EFX8. But that's something I'll be doing in the near future. All in all I am very impressed with this Allen and Heath mixer.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I have one of the 124FX Notepads that I have used a lot for rehearsals and gigs. 4 XLR ins, three band EQ (mids not sweepable), input gain adjust and useable effects. Uses a strange three pin two rail power supply which is the only thing that is a little risky in my book. The other downside is 1/4" TRS main outs but that is easily solved with TRS to XLR adapters. Bought it dirt cheap on a closeout sale going on 7 years ago and it has been amazingly steady. Long since discontinued so it may seem moot but the point is Soundcraft does have some experience in the mini mixer world and, from my use, their mini mixer has proven to be good gear. Hopefully a new version will be as well built.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification