The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2017, 02:45 PM

So today the postman came with my new/old Microduet and, after some minor fiddling with the pots and an internal high/low switch, I can report that its working! Seems to be 100% functional.

I also received my black market B-band XOM 2.2 (discussed in another thread) and now I'm awash in pickup choices. The XOM is far hotter on the output than the microduet (both tested outside of a guitar so no sound report) and the Microduets mic is low shelved above 500hz, maybe above 1000hz, and eq tweeked in the 8-10khz range (it sounds very tin like). I have an older Baggs dual source with this mic but never tried talking into it amped, before mounting it in a guitar.

I'll post quality photos of this Microduet soon.if I'm officially on the lookout for a Colosi bone equipped LB6 and/or LB6w now. Since my Larrivee SD50tsb has a 2 3/8ths spacing, I may just buy the 12 string saddle to start. Should I Not consider that?

Because this pre is so rare, I'll try my best to answer any questions any of you may have about it.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
So today the postman came with my new/old Microduet and, after some minor fiddling with the pots and an internal high/low switch, I can report that its working! Seems to be 100% functional.

I also received my black market B-band XOM 2.2 (discussed in another thread) and now I'm awash in pickup choices. The XOM is far hotter on the output than the microduet (both tested outside of a guitar so no sound report) and the Microduets mic is low shelved above 500hz, maybe above 1000hz, and eq tweeked in the 8-10khz range (it sounds very tin like). I have an older Baggs dual source with this mic but never tried talking into it amped, before mounting it in a guitar.

I'll post quality photos of this Microduet soon.if I'm officially on the lookout for a Colosi bone equipped LB6 and/or LB6w now. Since my Larrivee SD50tsb has a 2 3/8ths spacing, I may just buy the 12 string saddle to start. Should I Not consider that?

Because this pre is so rare, I'll try my best to answer any questions any of you may have about it.
If you contact Bob Colosi and have a saddle that already works in your guitar, he can fabricate you a LB6 with a bone saddle. I'm not sure what's involved, but Bob is great to work with and will e-mail you back pretty quickly.

That being said, not to take money from Bob, but I asked him about the same LB6 mod and he said that, if the LB6 is cut and installed right, there's not going to be much of a perceptible change in tone. Not saying there won't be at all, but micarta is a common saddle material (comes stock on Taylors) so it's not lacking in tonal quality. Beyond that, my luthier made the comment that the saddle is mounted on a brass blank, which is what's really delivering the vibrations to your top. So, it's really a micarta/brass-hybrid saddle. Putting a bone saddle on top simply makes it a bone/brass hybrid.

Again, Bob will do this and it may be worth it for you, but I wouldn't do it just because so many people swear a saddle has to be bone to sound good. My luthier and I didn't perceive a change in my guitar after installing the LB6. That doesn't mean there wasn't, just not one that we noticed.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post

Also, if you're looking for a wide saddle (is 2 & 3/8 wide? I forget specs...) they make 3 LBs: the LB6, the LB6-X and the LB6-12. The LB6-X is "fingerstyle" spacing and will work on wide saddled steel strings and classical guitars. Eric Johnson has one of these in his Takamine classical that he blends with a Crown intenal mic.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 05-01-2017, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up Erik.

I've read the spec on the LB6x and, if I remember correctly, its for 2 1/4" inch vs 2 1/8" for the standard LB6/LB6x and 2 3/8ths for the LB12.

Last edited by dannyg1; 05-01-2017 at 11:21 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification