The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-21-2017, 07:06 PM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)
Default Best book for learning the guitar?

Hi

I wondered if people had any recommendations for the best book to learn from?.

I have got Guitar for Dummies and I must be a real dummy because I find the style a bit too academic. on the other hand I did not like the Ernie Ball book at all.

I can't read music and all I understand at the moment is what a chord is.

Is there a really good book out there for the absolute beginner that eventually takes you to the next level?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 PM

The "Skeptical Guitarist" books by Bruce Emery are excellent...you can order them from his website, or Amazon...

Start with "Guitar From Scratch", and it's sequel, and you'll get a good foundation...he's an excellent teacher with a sense of humor..
Old 04-21-2017, 07:40 PM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
The "Skeptical Guitarist" books by Bruce Emery are excellent...you can order them from his website, or Amazon...

Start with "Guitar From Scratch", and it's sequel, and you'll get a good foundation...he's an excellent teacher with a sense of humor..
Thank you. These do look good. I've emailed his website to see if I can obtain some of them in the United Kingdom for a realistic price, ie not the £84 per book quoted by Amazon UK.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 PM

The Mel Bay and Hal Leonard books are also very good.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Keep it simple. Go to a music store or online (search for guitar music) and find a song book that has songs you know in it. Then pick a song and then teach yourself the chords and play along as you hum or sing. Best way to learn at first.

Basically you'll want to learn the following first position chords:

C
D
E
F**
G
A

**F and B are a story, but F is the first one to tackle, and takes a while. If you get to a song that has a B chord in it, come back and we'll give you a simple one to use at first.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:16 AM

My theory is that you don't learn the guitar. You learn to play music you really like and pick up the guitar part along the way.

Pick the music you want to play and then find something that tells you how to play that music. I've never seen a concert based on a highly skilled guitarist playing every scale he knows.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:16 AM

Thank you for your advice. I am burning to play the songs I like but I think I need to get the chord positioning right first. I have learnt all the chords you mention apart from F. But I am finding G very difficult to play without buzzing.

My two favourite songs are Stairway to Heaven and Mrs Robinson. Having looked at a chord diagram for Stairway I think I would need a brain implant to attempt this. But Mrs Robinson looks doable although it's got a B Chord in it.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
Thank you for your advice. I am burning to play the songs I like but I think I need to get the chord positioning right first. I have learnt all the chords you mention apart from F. But I am finding G very difficult to play without buzzing.

My two favourite songs are Stairway to Heaven and Mrs Robinson. Having looked at a chord diagram for Stairway I think I would need a brain implant to attempt this. But Mrs Robinson looks doable although it's got a B Chord in it.
B chord = xxx442, grossly simplified, but it works when singing.

Practice.

Stairway will come eventually. Do you have the correct tab for it? (The Am and bass line is played at the 5th fret position, not first position)

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
My theory is that you don't learn the guitar. You learn to play music you really like and pick up the guitar part along the way.

Pick the music you want to play and then find something that tells you how to play that music. I've never seen a concert based on a highly skilled guitarist playing every scale he knows.
A well traveled path I've beaten feet down and blazed a few of my own. Well put. Crazy thing about its simplicity is you will develop an ear faster on that path than following any other method.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post

Need a like button for this comment.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:05 AM

https://www.justinguitar.com/index.php

You can purchase all of his material in book or DVD form.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
https://www.justinguitar.com/index.php

You can purchase all of his material in book or DVD form.
+1 on this suggestion. Check out his beginner course, it covers a lot of material and his presentation/personality are great. The prices for the online material in book or DVD form are very reasonable and he offers some pretty good songbooks.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:37 PM

I have the justinguitar, Skeptical Guitarist and dummies books and found them all useful. I went with the justinguitar since I found the videos helpful. I use the other two for reference when I have a question.

However, that's me and my learning style. What's your learning style? You might want something totally different. Go to a good guitar store when you have some time and look through all the books. Find one that you like. Even if you decide to go with a song based approach it's nice to have a technique reference.

Also, if no one else has mentioned this. Don't expect popular songs. The royalty payments are so high that book companies can't pay them and still sell the books at a reasonable price. Just use what they give as a learning tool and move on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write