The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-18-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzum1349 View Post
I mean when it comes to things like lets say chords I have never seen one thing that says plainly learn them in this order. So I'm out here like well ok I have the open chords and they are the foundation for barre chords, so I have been learning their patterns on the E, and A string so far, but I'm still not sure if there is a legitimate D shape barre chord I think there is but because everything is so focused on the E and A barres. So now I'm in this mess where I can see the use of intervals, voicings, inversions etc, but I have no clue as to what order to learn them in. ...I personally have found a single place and ive searched a lot where it is put together in a well thoughtout manner.
It sounds like you might be missing the framework you need to pull it together. I took an online music theory course before I started guitar and then I've spent a year applying it. It was very helpful.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 04-18-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
Well yes and sometimes I find that very appealing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I'm now giving this serious consideration! Hmmmm, what would it take, there's the octave shift....

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM

See that's essentially what I did. I studied theory really hard and started to orient myself with the notes fretboard. I know how intervals work but I really am thinking that's where I need to go next so no matter where I'm at on the fretboard I can form the chord or arpeggio I am wanting.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
And I'm now giving this serious consideration! Hmmmm, what would it take, there's the octave shift....

Oh for me I think it will just happen.

My dream is an internal overlay of fretboard to keyboard that extends to the tab and notation.

I don't want to work too hard at stuff like that. Takes the fun out of it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 04-18-2017, 06:12 PM

Lol that's funny to me because to me that's the fun part I love to know the little inner workings and be able to have all the crazy patterns and produce something astounding.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Lol that's funny to me because to me that's the fun part I love to know the little inner workings and be able to have all the crazy patterns and produce something astounding.
So, I'd just say.....try to go back to rick-slo's posts that he's been advising. There is depth and truth to what he's saying in there!
What I'm sensing is that all the technical stuff....and you've learned a LOT, more than my 50 years of playing, but it may be getting in the way of your "musicality". You may be looking for a "gateway" into this realm thinking that the more you study the technical, the more something profoundly musical will emerge from you because you've learned so much. Derick is telling you how to bridge this hurdle. Listen to some of his playing , composition and knowledge, he's one of the finest players on this forum or anywhere.
If you learn that piece the way he's suggesting (study the video you shared and measure by measure), I think you'll be able to amplify on phrasing, pace, rhythm, and many other factors including making it your own arrangement if you want ,and that would satisfy some of your goals. After that, dive right in and learn more of the technical stuff you've accomplished with playing the song and dissect away! Congrats on the depth of your learning thus far!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-18-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
So, I'd just say.....try to go back to rick-slo's posts that he's been advising. There is depth and truth to what he's saying in there!
What I'm sensing is that all the technical stuff....and you've learned a LOT, more than my 50 years of playing, but it may be getting in the way of your "musicality". You may be looking for a "gateway" into this realm thinking that the more you study the technical, the more something profoundly musical will emerge from you because you've learned so much. Derick is telling you how to bridge this hurdle. Listen to some of his playing , composition and knowledge, he's one of the finest players on this forum or anywhere.
If you learn that piece the way he's suggesting (study the video you shared and measure by measure), I think you'll be able to amplify on phrasing, pace, rhythm, and many other factors including making it your own arrangement if you want ,and that would satisfy some of your goals. After that, dive right in and learn more of the technical stuff you've accomplished with playing the song and dissect away! Congrats on the depth of your learning thus far!
Great advice. More than one person has told me lately that I'm "overthinking" this whole process, being too intellectual/cerebral and not just sitting down and playing.

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 PM

Thank you Carol!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 04-18-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I think I'm going to have to take your word on it I get so stuck in the technical stuff sometimes I have a really hard time getting out of it. The truth is I know that I could go play some shorter simpler pieces rather easily. But I try to skip it and go directly to the harder stuff. Thank you for the positive feedback as well its nice to hear a compliment. Its funny I think it was really good that I did this and found others to get an opinion on. I started playing when I was 16. I learned basic chords and a little about the major scale and that was it. I would just learn riffs from bands after that and didn't learn much just played and really enjoyed it, just random notes and none of it in key hahaha. Well now I have all this knowledge and I'm not using I was so fixated on trying to see how others used it that the very very simple answer was they created music with it. I really need to start playing some pieces see how they used it by playing what they play and how they applied it.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
More than one person has told me lately that I'm "overthinking" this whole process, being too intellectual/cerebral and not just sitting down and playing.
People sometimes think I'm overthinking also, and maybe sometimes I am, but I think we all have different goals and methods and circumstances. For example, I want to compose. I need theory for that. Other people might not, but I haven't had a lifetime of music in my family or developed a great ear or whatever it is those people have that I don't. I need the shortcut of understanding how music is put together. Also, as far as sitting down and playing, I do that, too. The thing is, though, that I'm learning all of this in a very short time, and I simply can't physically sit and play all day. I have to put the guitar down, rest my hands, let the motor memory develop, etc. That's when I use my time to learn other stuff, rhythm, history, ear-training, theory.... It's just a different perspective.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I think I'm going to have to take your word on it I get so stuck in the technical stuff sometimes I have a really hard time getting out of it. The truth is I know that I could go play some shorter simpler pieces rather easily. But I try to skip it and go directly to the harder stuff. Thank you for the positive feedback as well its nice to hear a compliment. Its funny I think it was really good that I did this and found others to get an opinion on. I started playing when I was 16. I learned basic chords and a little about the major scale and that was it. I would just learn riffs from bands after that and didn't learn much just played and really enjoyed it, just random notes and none of it in key hahaha. Well now I have all this knowledge and I'm not using I was so fixated on trying to see how others used it that the very very simple answer was they created music with it. I really need to start playing some pieces see how they used it by playing what they play and how they applied it.
Jason, thanks for the response. Be sure to keep us posted on progress, thoughts and where things are going. The piece you chose is a winner and very beautiful....worth the effort to learn, even if it takes a good while.
Regards,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 04-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Jason, thanks for the response. Be sure to keep us posted on progress, thoughts and where things are going. The piece you chose is a winner and very beautiful....worth the effort to learn, even if it takes a good while.
Regards,
Fred
Ive definitely been looking and I wanted to do all the Carcassi Etudes, but I think I'm leaning more towards something from Bach not sure yet, but to be honest I'm confused as to what I should work on here. I'm not sure exactly how to explain this but I have been doing all this studying and I want a piece that will kind of pull all this together for me. Something Major scale, with multiple positions preferably staccato and legato, and some scale runs. I think that would be perfect for me but I want it to be challenging.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:38 PM

I'd heartily recommend an intense period of LISTENING for anyone at any ability.
Just you and the music to start with. Listen until it's all music and no you.

Monk is good for that...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I'll applaud you for your desire to improve your guitar playing and your efforts to understand the importance of music reading as it relates to the entire context of a musical piece. However, despite your best efforts, you've come to a dead end. Don't feel bad, it happens to all of us.

But my question to you is why do you think that searching on the Internet will now be the quickest, easiest, and surest way to break out of your cycle? From the amount of time you've invested in this thread alone, as well as others, it seems more than obvious to me that your dilemma has not been totally solved and that you're still not completely satisfied.

You mentioned that you're 28 and only recently decided on becoming serious about learning the guitar. Perhaps I'm going out on a limb here, but it seems to me that many folks from your generation seek information found on the internet first instead of seeking out a competent instructor, which in my opinion is what you really need at this point if you want to seriously break through these plateaus. A good teacher will save you much time, energy, and if they're worth their salt, will inspire you to reach even higher levels of playing.

You also mentioned that you live in the 'boonies' and that an instructor is hard to find. As the internet is so accessible, why not search for a good teacher via Skype. There are plenty to choose from. Do your homework, interview a few of them, find the one that's right for you and get back on the horse. As Chet Atkins once said... 'There are no shortcuts.'

Last edited by Toby Walker; 04-21-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I'll applaud you for your desire to improve your guitar playing and your efforts to understand the importance of music reading as it relates to the entire context of a musical piece. However, despite your best efforts, you've come to a dead end. Don't feel bad, it happens to all of us.

But my question to you is why do you think that searching on the Internet will be the quickest, easiest, and surest way to break out of your cycle? From the amount of time you've invested in this thread alone it seems more than obvious to me that your dilemma has not been totally solved and that you're still not completely satisfied.

You mentioned that you're 28 and only recently decided on becoming serious about learning the guitar. Perhaps I'm going out on a limb here, but it seems to me that many folks from your generation seek information found on the internet first instead of seeking out a competent instructor, which in my opinion is what you really need at this point if you want to seriously break through these plateaus. A good teacher will save you much time and energy, and if they're worth their salt, will inspire you to reach even higher levels of playing.

You also mentioned that you live in the 'boonies' and that an instructor is hard to find. As the internet is so accessible, why not search for a good teacher via Skype. There are plenty to choose from. Do your homework, interview a few of them, find the one that's right for you and get back on the horse. As Chet Atkins once said... 'There are no shortcuts.'
Toby, that was a really well stated bunch of advice.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write