The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-02-2017, 03:11 PM

Silly Moustache - I had cancer a year and a half ago, I apparently don't now. Sometimes they do a good job, so all the best. Cheers, mate.

If I could blow five choruses of Rhythm changes in a row, all in tempo (around 220) and all fresh, I would probably expire on the spot. My previous high spot was two clean choruses of Ornithology at 320 bpm, in a pub no less. To be honest I am more about building than playing right now.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I've been dabbling at jazz and swing. I really lack the chord vocablary as I've grown up playing bluegrass, rock, blues, old C&W, etc. I keep stalling on jazz because its a lot like learning all over again. Those first position cowboy chords and flat and finger picking just don't cut it in jazz. I revert back to the familiar when I get frustrated with learning something new. I need to follow my own advice and get serious, take jazz lessons, etc.
You might want to check this DVDs out:

www.guitarvideos.com/Artists/rolly-brown

Rolly Brown, on several of these, teaches just what you are talking about, and all on acoustic guitar.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Two actually. First, wean myself off of the iPad when performing. It's become a crutch and I don't want to rely on it. I'm comfortable with about 2 dozen songs so far, and about 2 dozen to go before I work on some new ones. The other current goal is to write more. I've done 3 originals in the past month, and I'd like to settle into a steady creating routine. So far, so good, we'll see how it goes.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 04-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Small goal first

I'm working on bringing back the skills I used to have way back when I was a mellow hippie chick singing folky stuff around the campfire all those years ago -- i.e., strumming cowboy chords competently while singing at the same time.

Y'know, that's a lot to keep track of! Fretting with this hand, strumming with that hand, keeping the beat with that toe, supporting the voice with that whole apparatus, remembering the words, the chords, and the melody with one little brain -- and all at the same time! Yikes!!

PS -- Hope all's going well with you, Mr. Moustache.

Ibanez Artwood Vintage grand concert acoustic
La Patrie Motif parlor-size classical
Cordoba Mini M travel-size classical
Cordoba Guilele even smaller classical (so cute!)
and
Ohana SK20-S soprano ukelele
Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiley View Post
I'm working on bringing back the skills I used to have way back when I was a mellow hippie chick singing folky stuff around the campfire all those years ago -- i.e., strumming cowboy chords competently while singing at the same time.

Y'know, that's a lot to keep track of! Fretting with this hand, strumming with that hand, keeping the beat with that toe, supporting the voice with that whole apparatus, remembering the words, the chords, and the melody with one little brain -- and all at the same time! Yikes!!

PS -- Hope all's going well with you, Mr. Moustache.
I know. It IS a lot to keep track of. My analogy was that it reminds of me learning to ride (drive) a motorcycle...so many things to kick and squeeze and turn and such!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-13-2017, 06:43 AM

1970's I enjoyed myself strumming cowboy cords along with my friends. After a thirty year layoff, I picked up the guitar again a little over three years ago. I almost had to start from scratch. With all the stuff available on You-tube, Stefan Grosman, Homespun, and Little Tobey, I decided to concentrate on finger style blues. I just retired thirteen days ago so I have plenty of time for whatever. Learning finger style is a bit of a struggle but I don't get frustrated like I did when I was younger. My progress seems to be two steps forward, one step back. Nobody will confuse me with Blind Blake but every few days I notice a bit of improvement. This time around I want to do more than just learn songs like before. I want to become more familiar with the fret board and scales so I can improvise. I want to become a more complete musician.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGee View Post
1970's I enjoyed myself strumming cowboy cords along with my friends. After a thirty year layoff, I picked up the guitar again a little over three years ago. I almost had to start from scratch. With all the stuff available on You-tube, Stefan Grosman, Homespun, and Little Tobey, I decided to concentrate on finger style blues. I just retired thirteen days ago so I have plenty of time for whatever. Learning finger style is a bit of a struggle but I don't get frustrated like I did when I was younger. My progress seems to be two steps forward, one step back. Nobody will confuse me with Blind Blake but every few days I notice a bit of improvement. This time around I want to do more than just learn songs like before. I want to become more familiar with the fret board and scales so I can improvise. I want to become a more complete musician.
Good for you McGee. I'm right there with you. Just learning songs.....not enough for me. That's just been an exercise of muscle memory for me without a deeper grasp of how music is and can be constructed. They say that as we get older, learning a new "language" keeps us sharp. Another bonus!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-15-2017, 07:12 AM

I mistakenly thought that you had to pick up the guitar as a kid in order to become proficient. So when I started playing last fall after retiring - in order to knock it off my bucket list - I though I was going to be behind the 8 ball. I have a very long way to go but I continue to see good progress and, by visiting this site, I realize I'm not alone at all. My goal is to, one day, play competent finger style blues. Thanks to you all for the inspiration!
2016 Collings D1 Sitka/Hog/Addy Bracing (“Bubba”)
Old 04-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

A rotation of perhaps 300 - 500 songs. My biggest problem is remembering all the lyrics. Currently, I have around 150 songs that I can do at the drop of the hat..... more if there's money IN the hat.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This lesson from Toby Walker is good place to start finger style blues. I had started it, and haven't finished it yet. Its not one of those "put your fingers here" kind of things. The material will give you good sense of the fret board. I bought it because when you are mostly self taught you miss stuff.

Here's the link:

Band In Your Hand

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 04-15-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I had a pretty good grasp on finger picking before I went on my 29 year hiatus but unlike you I was improvising before I quit. The Blues was more of a disillusionment than an enlightenment of the muse because I didn't really see a valid sense of improvisation within its structure, and still don't. That said, improvisation meant searching everywhere on the musical compass except in the direction of the Blues. Not being able to find a focused musical sense of myself I quit playing and went on to other things. I came back to it in early 2005 with a more mature attitude about writing and pursuing a musical identity. It was more classically defined and that's where I'm at now.

I still enjoy playing the late 60s and early 70s songs that framed my start but otherwise I enjoy playing in an up-tempo classical style that gives me plenty of challenging fun.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

When I was finished with Army AIT and was heading home for leave, I was in the bus station in Atlanta in the wee hours of the morning. I was just learning some chords for the first time on the guitar and just kept banging away on these with my cheap PX guitar.

The guy at the counter told me to either stop or play outside. At least I knew somebody was listening. Maybe I should get kicked out of some place again.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-15-2017, 08:33 PM

To complete and play the complete lessons of Happy Traum's Homespun Bob Dylan DVD!

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 AM

To have people hear me and want to keep listening. But more specifically, to play by ear much more.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write