The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-22-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Such a gorgeous guitar.
IMHO the Amber color on Emerald's carbon fiber guitars is still the most attractive color. I like it even better than Emerald's wood grain top models.
And being twelve frets to the body with the bridge moved south, the bass response is incredible.

I agree with you regarding the amber weave. I'm not a fan of veneer tops on any guitar, much less a beautiful carbon fiber one.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
And being twelve frets to the body with the bridge moved south, the bass response is incredible.

I agree with you regarding the amber weave. I'm not a fan of veneer tops on any guitar, much less a beautiful carbon fiber one.
Having had an amber Chimaera since 2013, until recently, I totally agreed with you. Then Emerald posted photos of an X20 not too long ago with cocobolo/sapwood stripe with an amberish hue that just knocked my socks off. It's the only woody top that interests me, and boy am I interested.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:19 AM

Is it me or is the crossover market getting bigger?

I think it would be a good idea to strip some premium items of the x20 nylon, such as the head-stock, to make a competitive version with possible upgrades. Especially as you already have an "Opus" and an "Artisan" range. The Opus Nylon should be bog-standard everything.

It's definitely something I'd be interested in. For now however, I am still new to crossovers and I'm still working out what I find most comfortable. At the moment I have a 48mm nut and 55mm string spacing at the bridge. I'm wondering if a bit wider for both would be better. I see that Emerald do 57mm at the bridge, which might just be enough.

Now that I'm getting more into this area I find it funny that we call them all "Nylon strings" because I'm definitely a high tension Carbon fan, playing the music I do, which originates from steel string players, I need a brighter sound, more sustain and I need more tension. I imagine that most crossover players, coming from steel strings, will be "carbon string" players. But the joy of having "high tension" which gives around 90-100 lbs of tension and lots of projection, compared to a typical steel string tension of 150-160lbs for often, less projection. My new crossover has much more projection than my blackbird with similar body sizes.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 03-23-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I find it funny that we call them all "Nylon strings" because I'm definitely a high tension Carbon fan...
Carbon on carbon.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
..... I find it funny that we call them all "Nylon strings" because I'm definitely a high tension Carbon fan, playing the music I do, which originates from steel string players, I need a brighter sound, more sustain and I need more tension.......
Interesting info. I may need to try carbon strings. I have only used high tension nylon in the past.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:51 PM

sirwhale, you're going about this the same way I am in respect to appointments. I'd love to spend away and let Emerald do their thing with a truly beautiful instrument but that's not what I'm looking for or the use I have in mind for this guitar. Ted at L A Guitar has been great advising me and even gave an opinion that didn't do anything for himself. Talking with Sean at Emerald, there seems to be ways of getting exactly what you want at a fair price when you give them the chance to "custom" design an existing model.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Having had an amber Chimaera since 2013, until recently, I totally agreed with you. Then Emerald posted photos of an X20 not too long ago with cocobolo/sapwood stripe with an amberish hue that just knocked my socks off. It's the only woody top that interests me, and boy am I interested.
Nice to know I am not the only one... that cocobolo X20 left me drooling last year. It pushed me to get the X7. Which pushed me to get the X20 with louro preto... which grabbed me even more than the cocobolo (which I didn't think was possible). Makes me wonder what other interesting woods Alistair has up his sleeve??
Old 03-24-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Makes me wonder what other interesting woods Alistair has up his sleeve??
Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for your interest! I was walking through the factory and all I could see around me was beautiful veneers featured on lots and lots of different instruments that will be shipped out to customers eagerly awaiting their arrival shortly.

Best Wishes,

Sean
Old 03-27-2017, 08:07 AM

Well, I veered off my original path { nylon} a bit and ordered a steel stringed, Emerald X20 Artisan with 1-7/8" nut width and 2-5/16"string spacing at the bridge. Since this guitar will handle all my St. Louis humidity changes easily, I'll make myself a nice guitar stand where it will be ready to play at a moment's notice. Thanks, Sean at Emerald, for your help!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusknives View Post
Well, I veered off my original path { nylon} a bit and ordered a steel stringed, Emerald X20 Artisan with 1-7/8" nut width and 2-5/16"string spacing at the bridge. Since this guitar will handle all my St. Louis humidity changes easily, I'll make myself a nice guitar stand where it will be ready to play at a moment's notice. Thanks, Sean at Emerald, for your help!
Congrats! The X20 is a great guitar, and you will appreciate how it deals with the St. Louis humidity changes with no fuss.

Your post makes me wonder if there is a market for... carbon fiber guitar stands!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:43 AM

Captain Jim, don't put any ideas into Emerald's head. I'd love for them to focus their sights on getting to one particular guitar!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 03-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Captain Jim, don't put any ideas into Emerald's head. I'd love for them to focus their sights on getting to one particular guitar!
Yeah, I get that. Good luck with the wait... sounds like you and jwhelan56 will be able to console each other.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I'm confident you won't be disappointed.
Both of my Artisans (X7 & X20) are the two best acoustic guitars I've ever played.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 03-27-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Jim, a chara

You are more than welcome. I am glad we could accommodate you and we will look forward to build you your custom X20.

Best wishes from all the team here at Emerald HQ!

Sean

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber