The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 AM

Default Garageband settings

To all:

First off, I know that Garageband is not always thought of very highly for recording. I've seen a lot of the comments and jokes about it posted here, and I get that. But it's what I currently have (10.1.6) - and my goal is to make the most of it.

I have a mid 2011 desktop mac, and a Blue USB Snowball mic. I also have a number of amps at my disposal: Vox AC-15 - 50th anniversary hand-wired combo); AER Compact 60; an old solid state Gibson Starfire; and a Roland Jazz Chorus 55. The only pedal I have is a Strymon Flint.

My preferred guitars are all Taylors. Two have the newer ES2: a 214ce QM Deluxe and a 614ce "Brown Sugar"; also an "original" T5; and an XXX-KE that does not have any pickup system. I have others, (solid body / hollow-body) but don't currently plan to use them for recording.

My investments in the area of recording are seriously not up to the standards normally referenced here. It's not that I can't appreciate the difference - I can. Obviously, there is a considerable amount of "space" between "basic", "good", "better" and "best". Between my main interests, however, of woodworking (primarily small instruments) and photography there isn't much in the way of "unspoken for monies" left to go around.

But I'd still like to try and do a little bit - primarily to record some original work - using one of my acoustics. Any suggestions (short of ditching everything I have, please) for recording with the above mentioned equipment would be much appreciated! Especially in terms of taming down the overly bright tones that most of those guitars inherently have. Also, is there a way to "auto-correct" a take after it's been completed?

I would welcome any helpful advice.

Peace,
Will
aka Taylorplayer
Old 02-27-2017, 11:57 AM

will: this is where you probably should start. google of garageband tutorials. some of these will probably be on youtube also. that way you can see how they do it. make sure you match your version of garageband with the tutorial so you don't get confused. note that apple has support for it on their site and a discussion forum where others using it can answer your questions. those are listed in the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gara...utf-8&oe=utf-8

hope this helps.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
will: this is where you probably should start. google of garageband tutorials. some of these will probably be on youtube also. that way you can see how they do it. make sure you match your version of garageband with the tutorial so you don't get confused. note that apple has support for it on their site and a discussion forum where others using it can answer your questions. those are listed in the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gara...utf-8&oe=utf-8

hope this helps.

play music!
Hi mike - Thanks very much! Great info and much appreciated advice. It helps a lot!

Will
Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 AM

Well, outside of Mike's reply, I can tell this is a pretty elite crowd. I pretty much new that "going in" - but it was worth a try - lol !

Peace to all -
Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
Well, outside of Mike's reply, I can tell this is a pretty elite crowd. I pretty much new that "going in" - but it was worth a try - lol !

Peace to all -
Ha well perhaps it is not so much "elite" as lack of hands on experience with GB

I am on a Mac but don't use GB , but from what little I have looked at it though and what you are saying you wish to do, it sounds like right now there is probably no need to start over, as long as GB sees the Snowball mic as an Audio input device option, you are certainly good to go for a start at least.

First: GB appears to have an EQ that you can do some cutting of the overly bright tones you are concerned with .

Second: Not sure what you are you meaning by "auto correct" can you explain further ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-28-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:50 PM

I think most of the knock on GB is because it can be used for loop-based, all in the box, electronic music production, and because of it's low cost and relative ubiquity, it gets used by folks just starting out in that field. That's not a knock against the tool, it a knock against that style of music.

And you're a beginner. There's no way to not be a beginner. Recording, like playing guitar, doesn't require years of experience to be enjoyable.

Over the years GB has more or less become Apple Logic "Jr." with an interface and session format and many of the features found in the current version of that venerable computer recording environment. Everything you learn in using GB will carry over to Logic if you decide at some point you need "more". But particularly for smaller projects with on musician, GB has more than enough capability.

Yes, look at some tutorials, and get some grounding in how GB interface is laid out. This isn't a knock against GB, because it's shared by every recording program I've ever used, but lots of stuff is "I didn't know what that thing on my screen does" or "I can't find where you do that."

You don't have to learn everything at once. You're not taking a test to be an airline pilot. Learn how to create tracks, set up input options, arm and record on them. Get some grounding next in how to use the various software emulations of recording "effects" hardware like EQ, compression, reverb, delay, etc. I think GB has some suggested default combinations for things like strumming guitar or finger picked guitar that can be a basis to looking at that.

Your USB mic will work. You can learn a lot about how to operate GB with just that one mic. Mic placement is an important recording skill, so listen and learn that as you learn other things with GB.

Might be good to move up to a USB interface if only to allow more than one mic. Lots of choices out there. I like the Focusrite 2i4 for inexpensive ones, but there are many others. Mics are like guitars, there are many choices and many price levels, and many preferences, but there are many inexpensive ones that work well. Folks should be glad to step up with recommendations if they know what your price range is.

Don't let excellent be the enemy of good as you start this journey. Like I said, there's no way to start without being a beginner.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
To all:
I would welcome any helpful advice.
Peace,
Will
aka Taylorplayer
Hello Will, Here's a youtube link to a series of video tutorials specific to the use of GB for recording. Hope it helps and happy recording!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9m...WL8izVbGa88R3w
Old 02-28-2017, 02:49 PM

Good comments and support. I've used Logic Pro and Logic Express (the big and not so big brothers to GB from Apple). Both are great, both have a bigger learning curve. When I want to do basic stuff, I just use GB. Keep it simple.

I also recommend a USB interface. I have a Presonus something (can't recall the name). If you do go for an interface, get one with phantom power. That way, if you get a condenser mid, you've got the power. Something with 2 inputs will do.

I've also found GB to be intuitive and simple enough that I can usually get something by just mashing about. Plus I learn a lot by mashing about! Get some sounds down and then it greases the wheels for more fun
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 02-28-2017, 03:44 PM

There is no reason to be snobby about GB for OS-X. It is virtually free and would be fine for somebody getting started recording. If you have a decent audio interface you should be able to get a really good sound.

It does have the Drummer plugin which I really like in Logic Pro X and a good range of effects and library instruments.

Last time I looked it didn't have a dedicated mixer but you still have volume and pan controls on the tracks.

If you have an Apple computer I think it would be a no brainer to choose GB over, say, Audacity.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-28-2017, 04:36 PM

My thanks to all who have responded... The information and encouragement are much appreciated!
Old 03-04-2017, 06:51 AM

None of my recordings (example below) are complicated so I've been very satisfied with GB.

Last edited by Sage97; 03-04-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:20 AM

As I understand it, in terms of the signal itself going into the computer, GB gives you everything Logic could. Logic obviously has so many more options once you go to mix/process.

But say for single guitar recording, I'd say get a 2 channel interface and maybe record one channel with a mic and the second direct.

No doubt this is polarizing, but I feel the room, the mic, the preamp are more important than the DAW, in terms of single guitar recording. The grain of salt to take this with is I haven't yet been able to get professional results with my setup, my comment is based on more what I've rad and talked to the (2) pro engineers I know. Have fun, recording is such a blast imo.

My approach expense wise has been spending on a mic and a pre, a little bit on sound treatment for my project studio. Still using GB. They make it better with every iteration I feel, by the way.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:50 AM

I've been satisfied with garageband for home recording and I don't eq my files - the sound capture improved when I got the plug and play Shure MV 51 and used the correct mic setting- I think it applies an eq from the mic.

Everyone's issues and touch is different but I would recommend a better mic if you can afford it for both acoustic and acoustic/electric capture to avoid alot of work. With electrified acoustic I often also use a shure m57 along with the pickup for tone.

Capturing a sound that's relatively accurate to what I hear when playing IMHO is a relief from worry when recording. LIke I don't have to worry if the bass blurches out and stuff.

www.harrietgoldenslide.com
Old 03-04-2017, 08:07 AM

Garage Band is a perfect option for entry-level recordists on the Mac. I would've been out of my mind when I was starting out as a kid to have something like it to mess with. I currently edit several regular podcasts that come in via GB projects and the software sounds great!
Yes, get a 2-input audio interface. Something like a Presonus AudioBox 22VSL would be perfect for mic'ing and/or DI'ing of your acoustics. A condenser mic will give you a much wider frequency sound than a dynamic BTW, though the E2 with a little EQ/compression and reverb added should sound very good by itself.
On the electric side, you'd have a much more satisfying experience recording with some kind of a modeling plug in. Amplitube is a popular choice. Much faster finding tones, no having to mic an amp, quieter, and tons of tone options that can be tweaked and saved right in the project. Here's a video of some dude showing how to use it with GB.

Last edited by Fairlight; 03-04-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:44 AM

"Yes, get a 2-input audio interface. Something like a Presonus AudioBox 22VSL would be perfect for mic'ing and/or DI'ing of your acoustics...."

So, with that equipment I could use both the Snowball Mic I have and also run an output from the ES2 into the box - and from there into my mac?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD