The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Man, I sure do miss the old days when Stratocasters were Stratocasters and the only differences you had to concern yourself about were the color of the body finish and whether you preferred a one-piece maple neck (where have those gone, by the way?) or a rosewood fretboard. The proliferation of various models of Stratocasters after 1990 may provide players with more choices, but is that necessarily a good thing?
Exactly, it's totally bewildering, and another reason why I personally would not buy a new Stratocaster. I think they are catering to Gen Z buyers, who they think want a hundred different options to create "their" guitar. Gibson does the same with the Les Paul.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 09-11-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Man, I sure do miss the old days when Stratocasters were Stratocasters and the only differences you had to concern yourself about were the color of the body finish and whether you preferred a one-piece maple neck (where have those gone, by the way?) or a rosewood fretboard. The proliferation of various models of Stratocasters after 1990 may provide players with more choices, but is that necessarily a good thing?
I think Gibson is worse, but yeah. Trying to appeal to everyone rarely satisfies anyone. I fully applaud the availabilty of quality "budget models", but having 10 models at each price-point? It is a bit out of control.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

It doesn't really even make sense, except maybe as a marketing tool. Ya got your Strat, either with or without (hard to find these days) a tremolo system - you pick your strings, set your action, truss rod, and intonation, and you're 95% of the way there, with the sounds being up to you and how you play. Pickups make some difference, and there are small effects from body wood, fretboard wood, nut material, etc., but at a particular quality level and price point, these are all nuances. Nut width and fretboard radius are other nuances, that you can just about always play around unless you like a particularly extreme setup or playing style.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 09-13-2016, 08:07 AM

The Deluxe Player Strat is an MIM that is pre-upgraded with the SCN noiseless pickups and switching that will give you neck+bridge and all three pickups, plus tortoise guard and gold hardware, if you're into that sort of thing.

A few years back, I almost bought one. They sound great. But one thing that held me up is they were selling regular old Mexi-Made Strats for half the money. And they sounded and played very well. I wound up buying a Tacoma acoustic instead, but the simple and cheap Strat was tempting. The problem is they aren't so cheap anymore. I've seen the Deluxe Players new for around $500 in the past year -- not a whole lot more than the standards. It's worth the extra money, IMO.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
The Deluxe Player Strat is an MIM that is pre-upgraded with the SCN noiseless pickups and switching that will give you neck+bridge and all three pickups, plus tortoise guard and gold hardware, if you're into that sort of thing.
Thanks. Must have been awhile since you looked, though. Not available anymore (new).
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 09-13-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
The stock pickups on a MIM are mostly fine. )
Yep. Not so with the Tele, those MIM stocks are crap. But the Strat MIM pickups, no you do not need to upgrade them at all and anyone who says so has not given them a chance or is likely to upgrade anything anyhow.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Yep. Not so with the Tele, those MIM stocks are crap. But the Strat MIM pickups, no you do not need to upgrade them at all and anyone who says so has not given them a chance or is likely to upgrade anything anyhow.
There is a wide range of MIM Strat pickups. Are you confident in saying NONE of them need an upgrade?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 09-13-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
There is a wide range of MIM Strat pickups. Are you confident in saying NONE of them need an upgrade?
The way I see it, it's a matter of the words used. Need and could benefit from are two different things. Every production guitar could benefit from killer aftermarket pickups. But they don't all need them.

As an example, as a G&L owner I see a lot folks swapping out the Seth Lover on the Blues Boy ASATs. I am frankly stunned by this. Through a good amp that pickup is amazing. It sounds more like a 335 than my buddy's 335...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars