The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking For Advice On First Electric & Amp - FOUND

Looking for some insight from the electric savvy, as I'm considering picking up my first electric guitar. I'm a bedroom acoustic strummer and finger picker. Not knowing anything about electrics, I've gone primarily on looks which has led me to telecasters, of which I'm particularly fond of the sunburst semi-hollow body styles. I also dig the ES body styles. I'm not looking to jump into a primo rig at this point, just something to get my feet wet.

From my limited research, it looks like there are four tele options in the $300-500 range (used is fine).

Squier Vintage Modified '72 Tele Thinline
Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe
G&L ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow
G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Dot

As for an amp, I'm looking at either a Fender Mustang I or a Yamaha THR amp. The Yamaha I'm leaning a THR10C.

Can you guys give me some insight & opinions on these or similar options that may provide the "best bang for my buck"?

Last edited by thegreatgumbino; 08-31-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Updated Title
Old 08-25-2016, 02:02 PM

I have a Epiphone ES-339 and a Baja Tele. Both sound good, but the Tele is way more comfortable to play for me. For some reason, the Epi doesn't sit right unless I cross my leg while sitting. Both sound great, but I'd give the edge to the Tele.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:43 PM

Squier Classic Vibe 50's hard to beat in that price range. Those G & L's are very nice, but I thought they were over the $500.00 mark. The Baja Tele's are really nice, but they are also over $500.00, I think.

EDIT:

Ah, I see you mentioned used. If you can find a Baja in that price, it would be very nice, if you like the necks. The necks are beefy, especially on the Baja 50's. I like them, but not everyone does.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:25 PM

Based on your previous posts you have some experience with quality guitars...

You also mention that you like the ES body style, and list the Epiphone 339 as a potential purchase...

There's an old truism that in this life you get what you pay for...

Not so - once in a while you get more:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...-DSDC15T-VSCH3

FYI once they're gone, they're gone - and the replacement model sells for $2500 :

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect...x#DSDCD16ROCH1

Considering you've been lucky lately with Gibsons, I'd find a way to move on this one while the getting is still good - I've played a few and I don't think you'll regret it...
Old 08-25-2016, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren01 View Post
I have a Epiphone ES-339 and a Baja Tele. Both sound good, but the Tele is way more comfortable to play for me. For some reason, the Epi doesn't sit right unless I cross my leg while sitting. Both sound great, but I'd give the edge to the Tele.

That's where I'm leaning as well. The ES looks BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Squier Classic Vibe 50's hard to beat in that price range. Those G & L's are very nice, but I thought they were over the $500.00 mark. The Baja Tele's are really nice, but they are also over $500.00, I think.

EDIT:

Ah, I see you mentioned used. If you can find a Baja in that price, it would be very nice, if you like the necks. The necks are beefy, especially on the Baja 50's. I like them, but not everyone does.

The 50's is nice looking, but a Strat. Is the additional $200 (used price) for a Fender Baja Tele worth the upgrade from the Squier Thinline? I've read really good reviews of the Squier. How about compared to the G&L? GC has a used G&L for $399.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

You also mention that you like the ES body style, and list the Epiphone 339 as a potential purchase...

FYI once they're gone, they're gone - and the replacement model sells for $2500 :

Considering you've been lucky lately with Gibsons, I'd find a way to move on this one while the getting is still good - I've played a few and I don't think you'll regret it...

That is a FINE looking guitar. Sounds great on the clips I've found on YouTube. Unfortunately, it's out of my price range by about $500.

Last edited by thegreatgumbino; 08-25-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:27 PM

Straight-ahead Telecaster (the ones with only two knobs, one selector switch and two single-coil pickups) will probably teach you more about the difference between electric guitar and acoustic guitar than any other model. The first thing you have to understand is the 95% of all electric guitars and their amplifiers are passive wiring systems, so the controls actually act as signal cuts from a maximum value, rather than signal boosts from a minimum value. So, turn the controls on your amplifier up and let it do the work and use the knobs on your guitar as a control panel to determine how much signal is going into your amp. Then you can explore all the different ways you can shape your sound just by twisting your dials.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:40 AM

This one. Not a strat. Only you can decide if the Baja is worth the extra. It would be for me because I don't like the small fretboard radius on the Squier and I like the beefy neck on the Baja.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
Old 08-26-2016, 08:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

HERE is a little article I put together on working your way down the decision funnel for a first electric. Perhaps it will help. Also, HERE is a two-minute guitar comparison from my site.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 08-26-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 AM

Hey Steve, that Gibson LE Midtown seems like a sweet guitar at a great price. The Gibson link doesn't show the LE for 2016, sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

Old 08-26-2016, 09:08 AM

if you are going with a Mustang,

spend the extra and get the Mustang III...

The interface via the LCD is well worth it.

With the I and II you will need FUSE to do any deep preset edits. Also the MIII has a lot more bells/whistles/presets, and an upgraded speaker.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:07 PM

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBDSDC...64aAkDd8P8HAQ=
Old 08-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Lots of great options out there, for both guitars and amps... personally I would go with a G&L over a Fender "cheapie", or perhaps a Reverend Buckshot (used)... but it's going to be YOUR guitar, so find something that feels good when it's on YOUR shoulder and in YOUR hands...

One aspect to electric guitars that is difficult to become accustomed to, for many players (not just beginners!) is the lighter gauge strings that are frequently used on an electric guitar. The difference between a set of light gauge acoustic guitars strings (12's) and the "normal" 9's or 10's on an electric set feels like MILES different, especially for strumming.

Realize that YOU are the one who chooses how heavy a gauge to use on your electric; personally, I like using 11's on my two "normal" electric guitars, a Taylor T-5 and a Gibson ES-345. I just like how they feel, don't need something extra slinky so I can bend a major third (!), plus they hold tune better for longer durations...

The MOST important aspect of playing an electric is that interplay between player, guitar and amplifier... DON'T "cheap out" on an amplifier, because THAT'S what will determine how everything sounds! A cheap guitar through a great amp can still sound great, yet a great guitar through a cheap amp is never going to sound good... your sound is only as good as your amplifier when playing electric guitar...

Spend some time figuring out what sort of tones you want to hear, and direct your amp buying in that direction... there are many wonderful little amps out there that use tube technology or are straight-out tube amps that range between $300 and $500... but maybe you won't want a "tube" sound, in which case you can go for a straight solid state amp. Your choice...

It's a deep, dark rabbit hole you are entering! Proceed with caution... and have fun with it all!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
...One aspect to electric guitars that is difficult to become accustomed to, for many players (not just beginners!), is the lighter gauge strings that are frequently used on an electric guitar. The difference between a set of light gauge acoustic guitar strings (12's) and the "normal" 9's or 10's on an electric set feels like MILES different, especially for strumming...I like using 11's on my two "normal" electric guitars, a Taylor T-5 and a Gibson ES-345. I just like how they feel, don't need something extra slinky so I can bend a major third (!), plus they hold tune better for longer durations...

...DON'T "cheap out" on an amplifier, because THAT'S what will determine how everything sounds! A cheap guitar through a great amp can still sound great, yet a great guitar through a cheap amp is never going to sound good...your sound is only as good as your amplifier when playing electric guitar...

Spend some time figuring out what sort of tones you want to hear, and direct your amp buying in that direction...there are many wonderful little amps out there that use tube technology or are straight-out tube amps that range between $300 and $500...but maybe you won't want a "tube" sound, in which case you can go for a straight solid state amp. Your choice...
Agreed on all points:
  • Until the last 2-3 years I never used anything lighter than 12's (usually flatwound) on my electrics, for just the reasons stated; it's only as a concession to both age and poorer-quality/kiln-dried woods that I've rolled back to 10's and 11's on some of my newer instruments (still have flatwound 13's on my jazzboxes - there's just no other way to get "that" tone)...
  • While there's clearly much to be said for buying a quality electric guitar from the get-go - I'm a firm advocate of the "buy-the-best-you-can-afford" school of thought - the one place you should never cut corners is on your amplifier; fortunately, thanks to advances in technology, internationalization of production, and the availability of high-quality Eastern European tubes, owning a good-sounding amp has become more affordable than just about any time I can recall in 54 years of playing...
  • If you're not a techie, given to doing deep edits on your modeling amp or hand-selecting vintage tubes for different circuit positions to achieve your signature sound, there's much to be said for a straight-ahead - meaning two (or three) switchable channels plus reverb - analog solid-state amp: lots of clean power for a given weight/cabinet size, quick learning curve, ultra-low maintenance, and lower cost than most (but not all) comparably-powered/equipped tube rigs. I grew up chronologically/musically during the golden age of tube amps - blonde/blackface Fenders, blue-check Ampegs, the first trickle of British amps to the American market - and still prefer to reach for a tube amp when tone is critical; that said, I use an old Peavey Studio Pro 50 as my banjo amp, and a Fender Frontman 212R (which is going to get an upgraded reverb tank and a pair of Swamp Thang speakers in the near future) as a home practice/grab-&-go/backup amp to my '65 Super RI...
Old 08-27-2016, 06:29 AM

Well, you've got plenty there to be mulling over for the next few days, all good advice. I'll just throw in my suggestions if I may: I would try the Epiphone ES339. I have one which I gigged staight from the shop wall. I did a more detailed setup later of course, but it was playable straight off. This guitar has good humbuckers which are split as well and this gives extra sounds which are quite useable from my experience.
Others have suggested the Baja which may be a bit above your budget (as you are including an amp), but it is an excellent Tele shaped guitar and is very difficult to beat in its price range and as such it is well worth considering at a later date.
With regard to an amp, the Mustang suggested is a great idea, especially the III, but they do take some getting used to and for that reason I think your choice of the Yamaha THR10C is better; you still get some effects, but not too many, and it is a great bedroom amp. Should you decide to go out gigging later then you would need a different, more powerful amp but for now the Yammy is fine.
Hope that helps you a bit.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I went away for a couple days and got lots of good info. Thanks, folks. I'd never heard of the Reverend brand before. They look mighty sweet. How does the Charger compare to the Buckshot? Would one of these Reverends be a better deal than the Fender Baja Tele?

On the Baja Tele, the S-1 switch doubling the tonal options to 6 instead of 3 seems like a big advantage over the Squier's.

More later...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars